Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

Deltics look great - my only comment on the late Blue ones such as 55018 with white windows..... the Opaque lenses in the plated over headcode box look too dark. They were almost a light grey white colour. Not sure whether anyone else has noticed this - apologies if already noted.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Kaput said:

Aww poop. I take it this will apply to all your current models? (92, 37 etc)

correct altho the circuits are all in place. You can install your own EM2 and sugar cube. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, deltic17 said:

Deltics look great - my only comment on the late Blue ones such as 55018 with white windows..... the Opaque lenses in the plated over headcode box look too dark. They were almost a light grey white colour. Not sure whether anyone else has noticed this - apologies if already noted.

Hi @deltic17,

Correct, the lenses will be corrected on the finished production models.

14 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Fran reckons too many........and then he said something in Irish I couldn’t quite make out :lol:

I said ábhar éacúiméineach a bheadh ansin.

Cheers!

Fean

• Funny 11

13 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @deltic17,

Excellent re the lenses - thanks for confirming - one other thing I've noticed....in the late 70's/80's I believe the Deltics had black driver and secondman seats as opposed to bright red as featured in the photos of your 55018 FP White Windows. Hopefully they will have black seats in the finished production model?

These are getting very tempting and I don't even model in OO gauge!!

• Funny 1

12 hours ago, lwnameplates said:

dps have put there samples on facebook

The BR Blue D9009 Alycidon is also fitted with the front headlight too :)

Am I right that D9002 (BR Green) is currently the only other one with a headlight being produced (except the one off 9016, that is)?

Hats off to Accurascale for what is without a doubt an absolutely stunning model and superb demonstration of modern production capabilities at a very competitive price.

Despite being a modern era enthusiast, that 55022 with all the silver is a threat to my wallet!

• Thanks 1

Just looking at the size of BR arrows on the cabside of your 55018 - I believe these are a bit on the large side - from around the late 70's as Deltics went through Doncaster at overhaul the BR arrows applied were a slightly smaller version and this spread to other BR classes around the same time. As far as I can see the arrows on your 9021 (early blue livery) appear the same size as on your 55018 so the ones on 55018 definitely look a bit too large. A check on Flickr say can confirm this.

All Deltics in BR Blue carried these smaller BR arrows apart from 55020 (which had got stuck in Doncaster Works from 1978) and 55016 which managed to retain the larger BR arrows until withdrawal.

Just hoping to be constructive in helping you achieve the perfect Deltic......a superb effort so far.....

Edited by deltic17
spelling
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, deltic17 said:

Excellent re the lenses - thanks for confirming - one other thing I've noticed....in the late 70's/80's I believe the Deltics had black driver and secondman seats as opposed to bright red as featured in the photos of your 55018 FP White Windows. Hopefully they will have black seats in the finished production model?

These are getting very tempting and I don't even model in OO gauge!!

From the few period photos I could find (assuming the captions are correct) it seems to have varied:

55002 - black (looks like a new cushion)

55004 - black?

55005 - dark red

55022 - black?

I'm guessing dark red is the original style - compare preservation views of 55009 (red) with 55019 (black).

9 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

From the few period photos I could find (assuming the captions are correct) it seems to have varied:

55002 - black (looks like a new cushion)

55004 - black?

55005 - dark red

55022 - black?

I'm guessing dark red is the original style - compare preservation views of 55009 (red) with 55019 (black).

Yes I agree the original seemed to be a dark red/maroon but I can only remember black in later years of their BR lives - certainly not bright red.

1 hour ago, deltic17 said:

Yes I agree the original seemed to be a dark red/maroon but I can only remember black in later years of their BR lives - certainly not bright red.

Sat in most of the Class in the late 70’s and early 80’s never recalled red seats all were black shiny plastic and a grey frame / plinth.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, deltic17 said:

Just looking at the size of BR arrows on the cabside of your 55018 - I believe these are a bit on the large side - from around the late 70's as Deltics went through Doncaster at overhaul the BR arrows applied were a slightly smaller version and this spread to other BR classes around the same time. As far as I can see the arrows on your 9021 (early blue livery) appear the same size as on your 55018 so the ones on 55018 definitely look a bit too large. A check on Flickr say can confirm this.

All Deltics in BR Blue carried these smaller BR arrows apart from 55020 (which had got stuck in Doncaster Works from 1978) and 55016 which managed to retain the larger BR arrows until withdrawal.

Just hoping to be constructive in helping you achieve the perfect Deltic......a superb effort so far.....

Hi @deltic17,

Many thanks for the feedback on arrows and seat colours. We’re going to look into both and make amendments where necessary.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 2

On 13/02/2021 at 10:03, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @deltic17,

I said ábhar éacúiméineach a bheadh ansin.

Cheers!

Fean

talking of lenses, will the High Intensity headlight be a bit more flush glazed than the sample shows? The real thing has the glazing very close to the front of the lamp body, while the livery smaple shows it recessed a fair bit

78f8ff_52071fadf1464445adac8d292e96ebd1~

D9009

15 hours ago, deltic17 said:

Yes, you are correct - just like the BR early and late crests before it the double arrow logo came in two sizes, 2' and 2' 6" (hand-painted versions could be seen to other dimensions at the start - and not always the right way round! - but the self-adhesive vinyls were to these two basic sizes). The larger one tended to be used where the expanse of bodywork allowed it but at some point around 1977/8 it fell out of use and the smaller one became standard. This was particularly noticeable on Class 47 - the waters were muddied around Class 50 by the naming programme at that time but shifted logos were always the smaller variety.

Edited by Neil Phillips
Adjusted the year by one
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I have no questions. I count among my friends people who I have worked with who also worked at Finsbury Park when the Deltics were allocated there. My last Deltic was Ballymoss, so I have ordered it with FP white window surrounds in honour of both the foregoing. I am really looking forward to getting my hand on it. Please send it soon.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Guest Locomotion No. 3

DELTIC MODELS REACH

LIVERY SAMPLING STAGE

We have now received images of the livery samples from Accurascale for the commissioned ‘Exclusive Edition’ models of Class 55 ‘Deltic’ locomotives. These are being produced in conjunction with Rails of Sheffield and The Deltic Preservation Society and feature preserved examples.

Locomotion Models versions represent the National Collections ‘Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry’ as follows.

D9002 ‘Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry’ in two tone green livery as currently preserved and running on the National Network (Era 9).

D9002 ‘Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry’ in two tone green 1980 with full yellow ends as repainted for its final thirteen months in traffic before withdrawal on 31st December 1981. The repaint into its colours was paid for with the aid of a grant from the Friends of the National Railway Museum (Era 7).

Livery samples are currently en-route to us and will undergo a thorough evaluation process before being cleared for production.

The images shown here did not have buffers fitted at the time of photography.

Accurascale D9002 BR Green SYP-2.jpg

Accurascale 55002 BR Green FYE-2.jpg

On 14/02/2021 at 16:29, gordon s said:

Fran, I think you deserve a knighthood, for your patience and perseverance in accommodating all these tiny, but proven changes in your pursuit of perfection.....:drinks:

This thread should be pinned up in the Boardroom of every manufacturer in this market as an example of how to relate to your customer base and engage in positive acceptance of changes before finally pressing the button on production. This model will be outstanding and how much better it has been to have these inputs now rather than have all these minor observations detracting from the purity of this model after release.

If only all models were made this way.........

Fran, I’ll make you Lord Fran if you do a 7mm Deltic....

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1