Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

@Accurascale Fran

I've just been eyeballing the side profile of D9002 and prototype photos while listening in on a work Zoom meeting (:-p)!

Might the nameplate be fractionally too high? On the model it seems too near the battery grills, and there is too much dark green below.

I've got to stop looking at photos of the model now or I will start imagining things that are not there!

EDIT - also just noticed small gaps in the orange cantrail line on the ribs between the exhaust and fan roof section. I presume this point is already in hand, but thought I would flag. ...sorry if I'm getting tiresome.

Deltic D9002 THE KING'S OWN YORKSHIRE LIGHT INFANTRY

Edited by G-BOAF

On 16/02/2021 at 17:57, newbryford said:

Quite:

It didn't just apply to the d*lt*cs, various painted embellishments only lasted a short time in some cases.

Whatever AS (and other manufacturers ) do, they'll never please everybody as they haven't represented a particular prototype at 0930 on the 4th of March 1975 on the Little Sodding and Greater Nowhere Branch lIne tour with driver Jones' billycan having the correct arrangement of dents and dints in it.

Many years ago, I had painted up and renumbered [*]

a 47 in as reasonably up to date condition as I could, when a punter remarked that it was wrong - it had had the headcode panels repainted the week previously!

[*] For some readers, painting and renumbering was a way of making locos different.............................

Split my sides on this one Mick!! You certainly hit the nail on the head and just loved the way you put it.

John

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

@Accurascale Fran

I've just been eyeballing the side profile of D9002 and prototype photos while listening in on a work Zoom meeting (:-p)!

Might the nameplate be fractionally too high? On the model it seems too near the battery grills, and there is too much dark green below.

I've got to stop looking at photos of the model now or I will start imagining things that are not there!

You have got a forensic eye for detail - its a skill! Hadn’t noticed but yes, agree :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

@Accurascale Fran

EDIT - also just noticed small gaps in the orange cantrail line on the ribs between the exhaust and fan roof section. I presume this point is already in hand, but thought I would flag. ...sorry if I'm getting tiresome.

Agreed and is on the snag list :) We had it right in the artwork but got printed in the slightly wrong location. 

9 hours ago, delticfan said:

On the 1981 version of 55002 the boiler roof should be fully grey and doesn’t line through with the grey on the cooler groups. I think the 2017 version should be the same also.

We will look into that one but looks like you are indeed correct. 

8 hours ago, Craig1989 said:

Is your version of royal scots grey suitable for todays running or is it backdated? 

cheers Craig 

Our version is as it was in its last years of BR service. 

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

This is shaping up to be one of the best if not the best ready to run model ever.

Congratulations to the Accurascale team for having a vision, seeing it through and keeping the product competitively priced and making it accessible to all modellers.

Really can't wait for this beast!

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, delticfan said:

On the 1981 version of 55002 the boiler roof should be fully grey and doesn’t line through with the grey on the cooler groups. I think the 2017 version should be the same also.

The 2017 (2016) version is the same as what you are proposing and is currently correct is it not for that later model?

I'm not sure about the 1981 version. It is VERY HARD to find a clear photo, due to the effects of light on the curved pannels and general exhaust dirt.

However, these three shots suggest that the green DID extend onto the boiler roof, as per the livery sample of 55002.

RS1240 NRM YORK FRI 12.12.1980

26/05/1981 - Doncaster

55002 THE KING'S OWN YORKSHIRE LIGHT INFANTRY at Doncaster works, 27th February 1982

@Accurascale Fran I'm not sure the TOPS data pannels on 55002 should have a blue background. It seems they were decaled or stenciled straight onto the green paint (unless in the specific time period you are working on they were blue decals... see humerous comment above from @newbryford in which case I defer, else you are able to saving yourself a blue printing process on this model)

15/02/1981 - Kings Cross, London.

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, delticfan said:

Hi @delticfan ,

Checking back on our research images we conclude that both samples are correct.

55002; Finsbury Park T.M.D.; 1981

Boiler roof on 55002 is not fully grey and D9002 as it is now is also correct on the sample.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Data panel our artwork is based on here for 55 002.

55002 Edinburgh

Cheers!

Fran

B*gger - that livery wasn't used on  the Little Sodding and Greater Nowhere Branch lIne tour in 1975

That's me out then......

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, newbryford said:

B*gger - that livery wasn't used on  the Little Sodding and Greater Nowhere Branch lIne tour in 1975

That's me out then......

I think you will find in the rule book under No.1..........your fine :lol:

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Data panel our artwork is based on here for 55 002.

55002 Edinburgh

Cheers!

Fran

I am curious as to what would have necessitated the fitment of the blue overlay, in terms of any changes in TOPS data in the final months It wasn't even the transfer to YK (as the green panel in my picture above also shows York). Almost certainly the reason will be lost to time by now...

Well its in the picture as proof and you are getting the model as close to its glourious final railtours as possible. Incredable attention to detail!

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

The 2017 (2016) version is the same as what you are proposing and is currently correct is it not for that later model?

I'm not sure about the 1981 version. It is VERY HARD to find a clear photo, due to the effects of light on the curved pannels and general exhaust dirt.

However, these three shots suggest that the green DID extend onto the boiler roof, as per the livery sample of 55002.

RS1240 NRM YORK FRI 12.12.1980

Is that somebody drying their washing? Can that be modelled?

Graham

• Funny 1

12 minutes ago, bartram108 said:

Graham

It would make sense that it was a curtain to cover the nameplate, but it is too high and too small, so not clear!

Maybe you are right and one of the ceremonial troops was drying their khaki towel!

I believe that element of the model will be finely moulded plastic, so not possible to tie on a washing line (it would if it were etched I could do it with fine thread...) I'll get my coat! :-p

14 minutes ago, tinsley-toton said:

The TOPS data panel on 55002 is odd, I can't tell if it was originally blue or painted blue and has started to peel off, great looking model by the way :good:

55002 data.JPG

I will presume that this picture is the other end, as there is the start of some blue on the left hand side, but it is a different pattern to yours! What is clear from @tinsley-toton picture is that the blue has removed the actual TOPS data from the panel. This is also the case in Fran's picture - the categories are there, but the numbesr are not. I can't find it again now, but earlier today I found a picture of 55002 in the paintshop at Doncaster during its repaint into TTG and it looked a thorough job, not just a rub down and slap of green paint. So I'm confused as to why green would be peeling off to blue below. Or why it would just be on the TOPS panel.

This is rather forensic and something of a mystery....

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, bartram108 said:

Graham

1 hour ago, G-BOAF said:

It would make sense that it was a curtain to cover the nameplate, but it is too high and too small, so not clear!

Maybe you are right and one of the ceremonial troops was drying their khaki towel!

It looks like it's covering up the plaque that was fitted when it was announced that it would be preserved by the NRM (The pic with the curtain is at the NRM)

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

I will presume that this picture is the other end, as there is the start of some blue on the left hand side, but it is a different pattern to yours! What is clear from @tinsley-toton picture is that the blue has removed the actual TOPS data from the panel. This is also the case in Fran's picture - the categories are there, but the numbesr are not. I can't find it again now, but earlier today I found a picture of 55002 in the paintshop at Doncaster during its repaint into TTG and it looked a thorough job, not just a rub down and slap of green paint. So I'm confused as to why green would be peeling off to blue below. Or why it would just be on the TOPS panel.

This is rather forensic and something of a mystery....

I have a theory which is based on something I have seen done before.  TOPS panels were often a vinyl sticker with the categories on which you could add the numbers on top.  If no green TOPS panels were available I wonder if somebody overpainted it with green (have seen that done), around the categories and then stuck the numbers on. Paint doesn't stick to vinyl well and it starts peeling off, taking the number stuck on top with it.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Sorry I'm just oogling some of the earlier pages of this thread to remind myself of the earlier stages of the project and how far its come (while trying to write a budget for work... but this is much more fun!)

I've just spotted the ETCHED BOGIE STEP TREADS.... WOW.

Deltic_4.jpg

And also the very clever moulding of the holes for the front corner handrails - the holes are straight in to the body (moulded as part of the front tool slide) while the handrail wires have a bend to they pop out of the holes at an angle, perpendicular to the body shell at that point.... The mind boggles. Some real thought has gone into this.

I also can't quite believe the price of this model... If it were Hornby and Bachmann it would be heading to £200 if not more....

• Agree 10

1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

I have a theory which is based on something I have seen done before.  TOPS panels were often a vinyl sticker with the categories on which you could add the numbers on top.  If no green TOPS panels were available I wonder if somebody overpainted it with green (have seen that done), around the categories and then stuck the numbers on. Paint doesn't stick to vinyl well and it starts peeling off, taking the number stuck on top with it.

Roy

This corresponds with my recollection of the green data panel saga. The blue data panel blanks were carefully over painted green, then the self adhesive data numerals (which were white characters on a clear rectangular background) were then applied on top. As a result, when the paint started to come off, the numerals came with it. In the photo above the only number still in place is on a remaining section of green paint. I took a photo in 1981 where the last number was gone too (unhelpfully the shot is black and white). The thing to look out for is of a data panel which is completely blue & white with a complete set of numerals, as the model depicts. 

• Like 1