Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

1 hour ago, jools1959 said:

I’ve recently ordered D9009 from Rails and I’d love to order 55001 as well but I’m wary of over stretching myself financially.  If Accurascale ever decide to do a second run, I’d like to see 55019 and 22 done complete with the high intensity headlights as Locomotive Services Limited are planning to register both of them onto the national network and then I’d have all three Network Rail registered Class 55’s.

Yep me too...would be great to have on a layout or in a display case.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Yes. I reckon its a toss up between 55016 and DP1 as to which is least likely to run anywhere, never mind the mainline ever again. 

When I attended the Crewe “All Change” event I spoke to someone from LSL regarding 55016 and his opinion was that it was for cosmetic restoration only and anything of use will be removed and used in 55022’s overhaul.  So basically anything good will be in 55022 and the rest in 55016.

On 19/02/2021 at 14:51, G-BOAF said:

Green edge on boiler roof just about visible at the Doncaster Open day in 1982, so unlikely to have been touched in July 81.....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55727763@N02/35139047622/

Going to hunt my old pics I’m on a mission lol ... time does play tricks on the mind but I do remember the blue / green tops date panel. Another detail I do recall from the 1980 repaint was that Doncaster paint shop used to paint in black in small hand painted numbers the date they repainted the loco. This wasn’t reserved for 55002 it occurred on a few locos, I always thought it looked cool, looked something like this......DR 20-12-80 or similar and always in italics hand painted in black. 55002 had it low down on the yellow warning panel on the corner.

• Like 2

A little Deltic present for today.

Some extraordinary footage of the Prototype Deltic back in 1960...not my video thus please like and/or subscribe to the original owner.

Hi Fran, would this particular Deltic be on Accurascale's radar as part of a future run?...would be great if it is.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, classy52 said:

A little Deltic present for today.

Some extraordinary footage of the Prototype Deltic back in 1960...not my video thus please like and/or subscribe to the original owner.

Hi Fran, would this particular Deltic be on Accurascale's radar as part of a future run?...would be great if it is.

The Bachmann model was one of its best so I doubt there is a big demand.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

DP1 is not on our radar folks.

Good to hear! There are enough major diesel classes that need the Accurascale treatment: class 25, 40, 45, 47, 50, etc. No need to faff around with one-offs. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Daddyman said:

Good to hear! There are enough major diesel classes that need the Accurascale treatment: class 25, 40, 45, 47, 50, etc. No need to faff around with one-offs. 

Given that three of those are currently being newly tooled by other manufacturers, including the 25 by two (Heljan and Bachmann), I would suggest that list is rather longer than it should be. 

I don’t doubt Accurascale would make fine versions, but they have to be viable. 

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Given that three of those are currently being newly tooled by other manufacturers, including the 25 by two (Heljan and Bachmann), I would suggest that list is rather longer than it should be. 

No, the list is as long as it needs to be; I took the retools into account. [EDIT: I should probably add a smiley here and pretend I'm not being serious: ;)

4 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

I don’t doubt Accurascale would make fine versions, but they have to be viable. 

When would a decent model ever not be viable? 

Edited by Daddyman

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Daddyman said:

No, the list is as long as it needs to be; I took the retools into account. [EDIT: I should probably add a smiley here and pretend I'm not being serious: ;)

When would a decent model ever not be viable? 

So we have not yet seen final versions of the Heljan 45 and 47 and you have written them off already? The Heljan 25 looks pretty good (not perfect) and the Bachmann 24 is excellent so I doubt their 25 will be a dud.

As for when will a decent model not be viable? When there are so few sales left available that it doesn't make profit or ties up cash on a long-slow sell that could otherwise be used in projects. For example, in the case of a 25, there is a Heljan one next month and there is a Bachmann one maybe next year. SLW have suggested one could follow their 24 and we don't know how far that has progressed given their mode of operation for new models it to announce when available. Is there really room for a fourth model?

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

I’d love to see Accurascale develop the Class 50 as their next diesel locomotive model, to the same exacting standard as their other loco’s.  With the disappointment of Hornby’s latest release of the GBRf versions, I’d say that when Accurascale are in a position to announce another loco, the Class 50 has to be right for the picking.

• Agree 1

Apologies for continuing this off topic tangent, but the 25 45 and 47 are done to death. Its likely that done of the upcoming models will be up to the standard of an accurascale version but with so much competition sales would surely suffer.  Ive 99% decided to replace my ancient Bachmann rats with the new Heljan, which i think is good enough, albeit not perfect.  If another better rat came along in 18 months i wouldnt upgrade regardless of quality because of the cost. Id rather buy more locos of different classes and stuff for them to haul rather than upgrade yet again.

For that reason i doubt we will see a SLW 25, unless its in the market before bachmanns, they have missed the boat with that one.  

The next diesel loco badly in need of accura-tizing*  for me has got to be the 40. Not only is it too basic despite being bachmanns second attempt, but its been very limited in production releases.  

* accuratization - the process of creating gold out of plastic.

Edited by The Ghost of IKB
  • Agree 9

31 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

I’d love to see Accurascale develop the Class 50 as their next diesel locomotive model, to the same exacting standard as their other loco’s.  With the disappointment of Hornby’s latest release of the GBRf versions, I’d say that when Accurascale are in a position to announce another loco, the Class 50 has to be right for the picking.

I would put my money on AS doing the Class 40, would love to have a couple of the preserved mainline running variants in BR Green.

• Like 5

re D9016 - presumably power units can be replaced by overhauled onces once 55022 is back in traffice again. However I also see from pictures of Gordon in Margate that its working fabricated bogies have been replaced by (presumably life expired) cast bogies - looks great, but takes the loco a further step away from working order. A shame. But at least it has had its bodyshell rust removed, and is safe and dry for future generations....

Re DP1 - Bachmann Prototype deltic is an excellent model (I wish I'd got one now) and no need for a rival. I believe the NRM has exclusive rights on the 00 Bachmann tooling so they would only be competing against themselves

Re other future models. Hornby Clas 50 is great except for recent livery errors and the need for a tweak of the cab front window shape. Agree the Class 40 would seem richer pickings for a new model (with everything from original condition to 40145 heritage mainline).

However (non modern image) I am strongly of the belief that a Black 5 (and/or 8F) would be an excellent steam choice - huge number of prototypes, very long lived and widely travelled, and the existing models can be significantly improved on. Unless Paul Isles has advised against as he knows in former employers are planning to upgrade the models in the near future....!

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Re DP1 - Bachmann Prototype deltic is an excellent model (I wish I'd got one now) and no need for a rival. I believe the NRM has exclusive rights on the 00 Bachmann tooling so they would only be competing against themselves

You can still get them from the NRM on the Locomotion website. It amazes me what people will pay for them on eBay sometimes.

http://www.locomotionmodels.com/exclusive-models/diesel-and-electric-models.htm

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Bedlington North said:

There aren't enough viable engines to keep both 55022 and 55016 running, hence why 22 is being given all the attention.

Thanks, that makes sense, although obviously the DPS have significant spares, but they are reserved for that organisations locos.

I know the DPS are planning full overhauls of their in-serivce and spare engines ,so might this be a pathway for LSL to increase their pool of engines by adding on to the overhaul order

I have not been able to find out the diffrences between the Marine the rail engine. Why is it not possible/so difficult. to use a Marine block, stripped down, and fitted with generaltor and ausillaries from a rail engine.

I also wanted to ask what the source/history of the 'spare' block that was going to be fitted to D9002 (before the NRM said static display only...)?

If you or anyone on here knows, that would be very interesting. Possibly beyond the boudns of this thread though... (maybe a Deltic thread in 'preservation' board?)

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

If you or anyone on here knows, that would be very interesting. Possibly beyond the boudns of this thread though... (maybe a Deltic thread in 'preservation' board?)

The Class 55 Group subforum would be appropriate:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/157-class-55-group/

• Thanks 1

LSL have about 6 engines in various states. It would seem (and I'm not privy to insider info, just read this elsewhere) that they feel that 3 engines are viable candidates for running again (obviously one of the 6 has a conrod go through the case). IE two for RSG and one spare. LSL already have a contract with a company for engine provision and of course they have access to more financial resource than the DPS.

RSG has previously had a marine engine fitted, but there a world of difference between the nature of rail traction load cycles on an engine and marine use. Also, marine engines tend to be able to get rid of their waste heat much more easily.

1 hour ago, G-BOAF said:

Thanks, that makes sense, although obviously the DPS have significant spares, but they are reserved for that organisations locos.

I know the DPS are planning full overhauls of their in-serivce and spare engines ,so might this be a pathway for LSL to increase their pool of engines by adding on to the overhaul order

I have not been able to find out the diffrences between the Marine the rail engine. Why is it not possible/so difficult. to use a Marine block, stripped down, and fitted with generaltor and ausillaries from a rail engine.

I also wanted to ask what the source/history of the 'spare' block that was going to be fitted to D9002 (before the NRM said static display only...)?

Your ideas and intentions are admirable but the limiting factors are money and in the case of the DPS both money and volunteers of which there are few to keep the locos running as it is. In time most things are possible but without cash and an abundance of free help progress is very slow and I speak from experience. It is good to have goals though.