Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Both due a bit later than that, and Fran answered this question up thread a bit. Deltics September if I recall right.

Roy

If it can be confirmed that the delivery has slipped to September, I might seriously have a go at getting 55001 “St Paddy”.  The first model I owned (Hornby Dublo) and the first Deltic I saw in real life as it throbbed it’s way through Newcastle station.  It’s always left a impression on me.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, amwells said:

hi Fran, do you think there will be repeat runs?

like @sc2016, specifically 9016 in purple...

We will do repeat production runs of Deltics for years to come of course. but we will not rerun them in the guise we have represented them in the first run. 9016 might be an exception due to the unique nature but the plan at the moment is not to rerun it as is I'm afraid.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

We will do repeat production runs of Deltics for years to come of course. but we will not rerun them in the guise we have represented them in the first run. 9016 might be an exception due to the unique nature but the plan at the moment is not to rerun it as is I'm afraid.

Cheers!

Fran

I'm glad I bagged 17 and 18 then!

:)

Kev.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, SHMD said:

I'm glad I bagged 17 and 18 then!

Kev.

Youve bought 18 purple Deltics ?

Your names not Mr Porter Brook is it ?

good for respray material are purple deltics.

;-)

seriously though, didnt it run in BR Green with the wipacs too for a while ?

edit.. yes.

(not my image).

BR Two-Tone Green Class 55, D9016 "Gordon Highlander"

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, jools1959 said:

It’s always left a impression on me.

You must have been too close,scarred for life by a Deltic,the sound did that alone,i too remember them in Newcastle,and the Meccano mag article in 62/63 about the 100mph railway being a dangerous place compared with steam days,took me ten months to save up to buy the Dublo one.

Edited by ERIC ALLTORQUE
  • Like 2

On 16/03/2021 at 11:57, adb968008 said:

i cant imagine you couldnt possibly hear a container load of Deltics at full power...

i’d imagine that volume of napiers will part the indian ocean and arrive in record time.

The container will be humming and unload itself.

Well Napier engines weren't just used for 22 ECML express locos - they also had marine applications.

31 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Well Napier engines weren't just used for 22 ECML express locos - they also had marine applications.

I seem to remember they were used in motor torpedo boats many years ago, but that was a different version of the engine compared to the D18-25 used in the locos, and in any case there cant be many left in existence i would have thought.

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

seriously though, didnt it run in BR Green with the wipacs too for a while ?

edit.. yes.

(not my image).

BR Two-Tone Green Class 55, D9016 "Gordon Highlander"

I've already lobbied over a year back for WIPAC fitted Deltic in green.

Would love one in this condition, and lets face it, there is not more that can be done with that set of tools!

There are pictures on flickr of it in Green WIPAC condition at on display Tyseley, and performing a transit move of a Class 50 on the mainline. Not sure if ever worked a passenger train in this condition on the mainline, but it certainly ranunder its own power, and rule 1....

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

They were also used as Generators in RSGs during the Cold War period - that’s the Regional Seats of Government. Certainly the case at RGHQ 6.1 near Crowborough...

7DC77EC8-23BC-48E2-9BC4-7596210801AA.jpeg

Edited by Islesy
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

45 minutes ago, Islesy said:

They were also used as Generators in RSGs during the Cold War period - that’s the Regional Seats of Government. Certainly the case at RGHQ 6.1 near Crowborough...

Really interesting stuff there. Another cold war use was to power communication aerials beneath ground / water level to a level above ground / water level (clue there) in order to send comms to the RN Polaris fleet. Location not disclosed! Not sure if these were 18 or 9 cylinder units likely 18 though.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Islesy said:

Not a surprise - compact units with high output, and reliable. Ideal.

Edited by Bucoops

18 hours ago, 97406 said:

Well, I've gone and panic bought a Ballymoss. The Finsbury Park look was one of my favourites.

Yep me too panic bought Ballymoss tonight it does look nice. Now I’ve got 55011 and 55002 1980 stylie and 55018. Now I hadn’t realised I had paid for 55011 in full nearly 2 years ago so with that surprise there is one more maybe if they aren’t due until September. But which one!!

On 17/03/2021 at 09:11, Accurascale Fran said:

Cheers!

Fran

I'd suggest that idea might be worth a political style U-turn. As sounds to me like the demand is there for this one to be done again. 

Are Accurascale doing each batch in such small runs they essentially each become limited editions? 

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

I'd suggest that idea might be worth a political style U-turn. As sounds to me like the demand is there for this one to be done again. 

Are Accurascale doing each batch in such small runs they essentially each become limited editions? 

Hi @The Black Hat,

The runs arent that small, it's just these have been supremely popular. Once the purchase order is submitted to the factory to begin production we cannot further increase the run. Of course, we could do the same number again in a future run, but we will look to add variety too. Difficult with 9016 but we shall see what the future holds!

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @The Black Hat,

The runs arent that small, it's just these have been supremely popular. Once the purchase order is submitted to the factory to begin production we cannot further increase the run. Of course, we could do the same number again in a future run, but we will look to add variety too. Difficult with 9016 but we shall see what the future holds!

Cheers!

Fran

I think this is the right approach @Accurascale FranThe parallel in recent model train history is probably the Hornby Ivatt Duchess as maroon 46256. Massive demand for the first batch and inflated prices. Then the second run appeared and these can still be bought off the shelf now, sometimes at discount and this is 2 or more years later.

From a business perspective it probably is ideal to pitch production to match just under the predicted total market for D9016 in purple as it is so niche  - unsold models might well remain unsold for quite a long time after the initial hunger has been satiated.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I’ve had a glance over previous messages left on this thread but I didn’t find anything regarding the possible slip of delivery of the Class 55’s to September.

Is it possible that this can be confirmed or denied as I’ve ordered one Class 55 and seriously tempted in getting another one, but being on a limited budget, I don’t want to shoot myself in the foot by struggling to pay for two models if they turn up earlier than planned.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jools1959 said:

I’ve had a glance over previous messages left on this thread but I didn’t find anything regarding the possible slip of delivery of the Class 55’s to September.

I am pretty sure it was said the date had slipped from Q2 to Q3......a few pages back.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

I am pretty sure it was said the date had slipped from Q2 to Q3......a few pages back.

I had a look but couldn’t find anything, but then it’s probably me not looking hard enough :scratchhead:.  I’ll have to get the old abacus out again and work out if I can afford another one.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, jools1959 said:

I had a look but couldn’t find anything, but then it’s probably me not looking hard enough :scratchhead:.  I’ll have to get the old abacus out again and work out if I can afford another one.

Q3 was confirmed on the previous page (ok, with this post two pages back) so not far to scroll back.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Hi everyone,

We did say tentatively late q2/early q3 in the last update but since the factory has come back from CNY and with COVID still playing a factor it is looking more likely Q3. 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

To buy or not to buy ........that is the question .   I've got a fair bit on order and frankly the layout is at saturation point , but then I've been saying that for last 5 years and there's always room for another . I think this model could be something special.

Edited by Legend
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I would say buy now as with all things (with no reflection on accurascale at all) I suspect these will be more expensive come the second run so buy now and save money. This explains my order for Ballymoss this morning anyway!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

We did say tentatively late q2/early q3 in the last update but since the factory has come back from CNY and with COVID still playing a factor it is looking more likely Q3. 

Cheers!

Fran 

Sorry if this is answered else where but will the 37's be later than this (please god!) :)

• Funny 1