Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

• RMweb Gold

Looks like tops number to me.

The picture is definitely taken after August 1972.. the registration plate of the floor cleaner gives that away.

if you compare to this one, in pre-tops... taken in March 1973.. it still had 2 sets of numbers one at each cab end.

(flickr image, not mine).

9007 (55007) PINZA through Selby March 1973 by Les Ring: Peter Brabham collection

It got its Tops number in Feb 1974.

http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/9007.htm

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm 99% sure its Pinza - I rebuilt and re-sprayed a Heljan Deltic based on what I think is this photo (found online) and I used it because I had a Railtec Pinza TOPS transfer pack good to go, but wanted a Deltic that had made it into the TOPS number era, while still possessing twin wipers, alpha-numeric headcode and sandbox filler covers (so I didn't have to do any filling and sanding on the Heljan model). PInza was one of the Deltics that fortuitously ticked all those boxes. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Looks like 55007 Pinza to me.

Edit: or 9007. Point I was trying to make was Pinza!

Roy

I knew that. As I say 55 or 9 is the question. Any more takers? It would be good to date it. According to the http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/9007.htm website,

04.04.70-02.08.70
Carrying 'D' prefix on 04/04 but reported dropped by 02/08 (though most likely date for this would be after Intermediate repair dated 06/04-24/04).

Locomotive officially renumbered 55007 W/E 16/02 (actual 06-08/02 - carried by 09/02).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 96701 said:

I knew that. As I say 55 or 9 is the question. Any more takers? It would be good to date it. According to the http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/9007.htm website,

04.04.70-02.08.70
Carrying 'D' prefix on 04/04 but reported dropped by 02/08 (though most likely date for this would be after Intermediate repair dated 06/04-24/04).

Locomotive officially renumbered 55007 W/E 16/02 (actual 06-08/02 - carried by 09/02).

Ah sorry my mistake - if its the photo I used then it is 55 (as I had the TOPS 55007 numbers). Will check later when I get home. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, 96701 said:

04.04.70-02.08.70

Definitely after August 1972.. the registration of the floor cleaner is “L” plated, and looks well used...

Definitely after March 1973.. it still had 2 sets of 9007 numbers in the above.

Definitely before 1978 when it got “plates “ over the headcode.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Looks like tops number to me.

The picture is definitely taken after August 1972.. the registration plate of the floor cleaner gives that away.

if you compare to this one, in pre-tops... taken in March 1973.. it still had 2 sets of numbers one at each cab end.

(flickr image, not mine).

9007 (55007) PINZA through Selby March 1973 by Les Ring: Peter Brabham collection

It got its Tops number in Feb 1974.

http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/9007.htm

Completely off the subject, but what location is this?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, harry lamb said:

Certainly not! I have no interest the class 50's and of all the 'EE' DE locomotives I find the 50's the least appealing! Awful looking machines! Bland is bland and then there are class 50's! I am not interested in wish lists whatsoever and I will pick whatever model I may deem useful for conversion to 18.83 gauge with correct size wheels and fully sprung/compensated bogies to improve running and appearance. I also re-gear some models if I find then too 'quick' for basic DC use, in particular some of Heljan's offerings which appear to have Mach 2 capability!  However, if somebody gifted me an SLW quality 4mm. fully sprung 18.83mm. gauge model of a class 50 I would thank them very much for it, rip the body off and trash it and then have hours of enjoyment playing with the mechanism and maybe putting it in a EE type 3 or twin engined EE type 5. I also reckon the class 50's would have had more appeal, for me, that is, if they had wrapped it in a BR Mk.1 carriage shell! Anyway, I had always thought of 'wishlists' as belonging to the larger layout owners and users rather than small time bods like me who only 'dabble' in modelling in a small way.  My biggest expense is in finding and purchasing components for the conversion of some of these RTR jobs to run on my very limited 'test/shunting plank' and that can be time consuming.   Class 50's? Never!

Harsh..........

• Funny 2

4 hours ago, Bishdurham said:

Thanks!  I only got to use the ECML after the Selby Diversion, so never got to see it.

I stand on that very platform every morning, I can remember the Deltics there too, the two centre roads went mid 80’s. 

• Like 2

On 23/03/2021 at 07:05, Ray M said:

Does this mean, you dont like class 50s.

I have no idea why you should say that! However, I would have been more interested in them had the prototypes been wrapped in the DP2 bodyshell which was basically a variation of the production 'Deltic' one and the locomotive itself was the forerunner of the 50's!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Definitely after August 1972.. the registration of the floor cleaner is “L” plated, and looks well used...

Definitely after March 1973.. it still had 2 sets of 9007 numbers in the above.

Definitely before 1978 when it got “plates “ over the headcode.

Received domino headcode between 8 June 1974 and 20 July 1975.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, harry lamb said:

I have no idea why you should say that! However, I would have been more interested in them had the prototypes been wrapped in the DP2 bodyshell which was basically a variation of the production 'Deltic' one and the locomotive itself was the forerunner of the 50's!

I agree with you there. Was the 50 not a result of BR’s Design Panel tinkering? DP2 was a handsome locomotive, especially once the side stripe was added. The 50, on the other hand, was not. As always, purely personal opinion.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, stovepipe said:

Received domino headcode between 8 June 1974 and 20 July 1975.

Brilliant...

a quick flickr brings this image May 1973 (still 2 lots of Pre-Tops numbers) one each end.

Taking a break, back in the BR blue era

(not my image)

so within a few posts its narrowed down to..

May 73- Feb 74 if pre-Tops

Feb 74 - June 74 if Tops.

Personally I think its Tops, based on the removal of one pre-Tops bodyside number..

I could only imagine that being done, when it was given its Tops number.

So 16th Feb - 8th June 74..

(just for fun I put that road cleaners plate in an online check.. JDN513L doesnt exist digitally, unsurprisingly ;-)

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, harry lamb said:

I have no idea why you should say that!

Maybe because you use so many exclamation marks that suggest you are either angry, vociferous or even shouting about your lack of interest in them, how bland they are etc etc.  Have you read your own posts? Maybe, like me you have read them and are totally confused about what point you are trying to put across. Either way this thread is about deltics, and the sterling job accura are doing with them, so whether you love , hate  or are totally ambivalent about them, class 50 is off topic anyway.

Now class 40, thats a totally different matter.....

6 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Brilliant...

a quick flickr brings this image May 1973 (still 2 lots of Pre-Tops numbers) one each end.

(not my image)

Personally I think its Tops, based on the removal of one pre-Tops bodyside number..

(just for fun I put that road cleaners plate in an online check.. JDN513L doesnt exist digitally, unsurprisingly ;-)

1E05 with a BG behind the loco is the Sunday 10:00 Edinburgh-KX (The Monday to Saturday Flying Scotsman had a BFK). Prior to 6th May 1974 the equivalent 1E05 09:40 Edinburgh-KX would have been Mk1 stock (except for 1st July to 19th Aug 1973). With the TOPS number that narrows it down to Sunday 12th May to 2nd June 1974.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

5 hours ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Maybe because you use so many exclamation marks that suggest you are either angry, vociferous or even shouting about your lack of interest in them, how bland they are etc etc.  Have you read your own posts? Maybe, like me you have read them and are totally confused about what point you are trying to put across. Either way this thread is about deltics, and the sterling job accura are doing with them, so whether you love , hate  or are totally ambivalent about them, class 50 is off topic anyway.

Now class 40, thats a totally different matter.....

Wow, it's a bit dangerous out here in 'threadland' so I'm off back to lurking after this! However, somebody did ask, after I posted a picture of my modified NRM DP1 with full sized 18.83mm. gauge wheels, the minimum radius that it can negotiate. But, before I answer, do I require a new 'thread' for this information? If I do then I don't have a clue how to start one! But, If you track back to page 43 or whereabouts on this thread and look at some of the curves on the photo of it on my old trainset you can see they are quite generous, 5 foot. On my new trainset they are even wider! 6 foot min. Both with wheel tops inside the valance and no scraping of the fairing in either situation. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, harry lamb said:

do I require a new 'thread' for this information? If I do then I don't have a clue how to start one! 

Try finding an area that already exists and press the 'Start new topic' button.

image.png.106fe25777b69b0ea449ac3647b6f699.png

G'day Accurascale - A small request - would it be possible to add the years that the loco's wore the livery to the description on the interweb? 

I know someone posted it up a while back, but it would be handy quick reference. 

Cheers

James 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Brilliant...

(not my image)

I did say dominos were received between 8 June 1974 and 20 July 1975, but I've since found some new photos which suggest headcode was kept until at least 13 August 1974, and that the change to domino headcodes had happened by 28 December 1974.

These photos

55007. [CH219.  (CH-1-)]

British Rail class 55 Deltic diesel locomotive 55007 'Pinza', York. 1974

Edited by stovepipe
photos added
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Down_Under said:

G'day Accurascale - A small request - would it be possible to add the years that the loco's wore the livery to the description on the interweb? 

I know someone posted it up a while back, but it would be handy quick reference. 

Cheers

James 

Yes I agree too, but also for everything they sell. It takes quite a while figuring out which era wagons were in use.

For instance I was quite interested in the PTA/JTA tipplers until I realised the first batch were either a little or a lot too late for my era. I believe (hope) they will be doing the 1972-on versions that ran in my region.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Good afternoon one & all, I finally snapped & pre-ordered a sound fitted 55009 from Rails a couple of weeks ago. Apologies if this has already been asked somewhere in the last 82 pages, but is it going to be possible to change the headcode displays on these models? As I'm a modern era modeller I'd quite like to have Dominoes on either end of mine but may want to swap them out for a railtour headcode. As said apologies if this has been asked & answered already, very much looking forward to the release of these monsters & keep up the fine work Accurascale.