Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Well Fran has teased most of our bank accounts into submission so keep your hand on your halfpenny as they used to say.that must have went out the window when we went metric too i guess.

Halfpenny lasted till 1984, 13 years into decimalisation. 

Roy

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

Halfpenny lasted till 1984, 13 years into decimalisation. 

Roy

Which really annoyed my teacher when they finally got rid of it as his stamp club most items were 1/2p so he decided to keep using them lol

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Accurascale Deltic Finescale P4 Test

Hi everyone,

We recently received our finescale wheelsets for our Class 55 Deltic locomotives for testing, and what better way to test it then to put it through its paces at a show? We brought our purple test mule to the Portsmouth show last weekend where members of South Hants Model Railway Club very kindly let us run it on their P4 layout "Eastwood". A big thank you to them for allowing the purple monster into traffic for some proving runs!

As part of testing we had a finescale modeller convert the Deltic from OO to P4 themselves. His conclusions were that it was a very simple procedure; simply pop the keepers places off, old wheels out, just give the pick-ups a little pull outwards and new wheels in. No plastic trimming or major surgery required, and also very easy to retro-fit back to OO should one wish to do so.

As you can see in the video, it performed flawlessly in front of a crowd (albeit looking a little out of place!) at a variety of speeds and through complex trackwork.

These wheels (along with EM wheelsets) will be produced and sold separately as accessory packs when the Deltics arrive in Q1 2022, so keep an eye out for that!

Pre-order your Deltic today: https://accurascale.co.uk/collections/class-55-deltic 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 8

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

It wasn't raining.

That's the least of our worries though, whoever built this one didn't fit the roof very well, they've left a bit of a gap at the join.

Gave a good look at the thickness of the moulding though……that ain’t gonna warp! :D

• Like 1

Thanks Fran.

That does correspond with some of the stories of former drivers of the Deltics, earlier in this thread, so well done.

It certainly looked impressive!!

I doubt the 4th radius curves I use will handle that, with it's mass - still ~650g?  (you'd said you were dropping down from the original target of ~700+)

Having had experience of higher revving motors using 'dogbones' in R/C, are the driveshafts metal, C/Fibre or still plastic?

It's easy to for me to comment, and often manufacturers prefer a 'sacrificially weak' area to avoid more expensive parts being affected.

In this case, if you reinforced the driveshafts and outdrives / cups, you would transfer the potential excessive loading onto the motor itself.

Sorry, I waffled.

I was impressed with the speed - possibly exaggerated a little by the scenery.

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Thanks Fran.

That does correspond with some of the stories of former drivers of the Deltics, earlier in this thread, so well done.

It certainly looked impressive!!

I doubt the 4th radius curves I use will handle that, with it's mass - still ~650g?  (you'd said you were dropping down from the original target of ~700+)

Having had experience of higher revving motors using 'dogbones' in R/C, are the driveshafts metal, C/Fibre or still plastic?

It's easy to for me to comment, and often manufacturers prefer a 'sacrificially weak' area to avoid more expensive parts being affected.

In this case, if you reinforced the driveshafts and outdrives / cups, you would transfer the potential excessive loading onto the motor itself.

Sorry, I waffled.

I was impressed with the speed - possibly exaggerated a little by the scenery.

Al.

Hi Al,

The Deltic is being made with tried and tested components had has been extensively tested (as per the recent videos give a glimpse to) so there will be nothing to worry about. Also, you can check out the feedback on our metrovick locos under the IRM banner to see feedback on running characteristics and quality as they share a very similar setup.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

The Deltic is being made with tried and tested components had has been extensively tested (as per the recent videos give a glimpse to) so there will be nothing to worry about.

Challenge accepted ;)

• Funny 5