Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

I know, getting a bit slack!  It did look more than a scale 120mph.

Perhaps I'll do it 'Sam style' over a flying 3 inches ... 

It "did well over the ...."

Al.

I think the most important thing to take from that wizz by was how well and sure footed it was over finescale track with P4 wheelsets.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, atom3624 said:

I doubt the 4th radius curves I use will handle that, with it's mass - still ~650g?  (you'd said you were dropping down from the original target of ~700+)

I thought stated weight of the Deltic was around 760g, or more with DCC chip and speakers?

When was this reduced?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, G-BOAF said:

I thought stated weight of the Deltic was around 760g, or more with DCC chip and speakers?

When was this reduced?

The 'final' curb weight of the model, complete with all fittings, dual speakers, super capacitor bank and a decoder, is 813g on the rails!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, atom3624 said:

I know, getting a bit slack!  It did look more than a scale 120mph.

Perhaps I'll do it 'Sam style' over a flying 3 inches ... 

It "did well over the ...."

Al.

I thought it was about to sprout wings……..rotate!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, McC said:

The 'final' curb weight of the model, complete with all fittings, dual speakers, super capacitor bank and a decoder, is 813g on the rails!

Plus all that plastic for the “special” driver?

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, McC said:

ive ordered a few of these things.

Am going to call the builder to do some floor strengthening.

• Funny 5

27 minutes ago, McC said:

I suspected the sound decoder and associated equipment might nudge it over the 800g mark. Wonderful!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, atom3624 said:

Don't know what to say - that's a full-on heavyweight - the momentum at that 55" beggers normal OO-scale belief!

What have you used, depleted Uranium?  !!

What did you scrimp on?

A little short of 1kg !!

Al.

The factory ran out of depleted uranium, so we had to make do :)

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

They're saving it for the Polaris submarines you're going to announce in the New Year.

They are going to do DCC enabled realistic loads for the KUAs...I knew it... as cunning as a Professor of Cunning at Oxford....

• Funny 4

29 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Looks like my layout will be closed over Chrimbo for bridge strengthening works then! 

I was thinking that (in general terms, my layout such as it is will have no load problems)....

The weight is distributed over two bogies. Are there any other modern 4mm scale rtr models (steam or D&E) where over 400g is concentrated on either one bogie or a single set of 6-8 driving wheels? The new Hornby 'Dublo' diecast duchess comes in I believe, just under 400g, with majority of the weight on the 6 driving wheels.

I specifically didn't mention axle loading as the Dapol 68 would walk this as it only has 8 rather than 12 axles!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, confused said:

Interesting weight, compared to my Baccy. cl 37 which weighs in at 540g, non DCC, wonder what the Accura. 37 will weigh.

If we chart the way things are going, 102t to 107t, with a 37/7 and 37/9 about 122t.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

TBH at 800 grams it is what the weight of our large model diesels/steamers should be…..too many years of lightweight “toy” trains in the past.

Then again this is coming from somebody who has a cupboard full of 7mm Heljan Diesels…..it’s a VERY strong cupboard! :D

• Like 5
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

I was just wondering the same thing.

This depleted Uranium alternative must have limited applications!

Is it only the 55, or will it be the 37 (40) 92 as well?

Al.

Hi Al,

We believe in consistency across our range, so our diesel and electric locomotives will feature similar setups, governed of course by their sizes. Our IRM metrovick for instance is around the size of a Class 25, and is over 500g. 

HTH

Fran 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1