Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, andyman7 said:

I have finally succumbed and placed an order - even allowing for sold out versions it's like a sweetie jar trying to work out which one to go for (no way can I justify a fleet). In the end I plumped for 'Meld' in TOPS blue - I suspect the window in which it was exactly in this condition is fairly short as TOPS makes it post-1973 and the ER were very early adopters of dominos in place of headcodes, preceding the 1/1/76 cessation of headcode display which prompted their replacement elsewhere.

I was very tempted by one of the green FYE versions as per circa 1968 but I have ETH fitted rolling stock I can pair Meld with. However I may yet weaken on that front!

A good choice also :)

Condition was current from Feb '74, until Oct '75 or possibly even a bit earlier.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Liking the nameplates - I’ve always tried to avoid them in the past mainly as I’m worried about messing up the loco paintwork or getting them wonky. (I’ve got quite chunky fingers, not great at positioning  small details) Has any one got any tips or advice on how to apply them? So what type of glue to use? How to get them aligned properly? 

Edited by StuAllen
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, StuAllen said:

Liking the nameplates - I’ve always tried to avoid the in the past mainly as I’m worried about messing up the loco paintwork or getting the wonky. (I’ve got quite chunky fingers, not great at positioning  small details) Has any one got any tips or advice on how to apply them? So what type of glue to use? How to get them aligned properly? 

I @StuAllen,

We will do a quick "how to" video on fitting them in the coming weeks, but if anyone else has hints and tips out there in the meantime feel free to share.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

My, we sure have a lot on our errrr. plate!

737686644_ImagefromiOS(64).jpg.e6339b18a8a1d93a1620fc2c1cab525f.jpg

Check out the fabulous etched plates for our Deltics. Each locomotive will contain these beautifully detailed etches in a detailing pack, with them printed on the side of the locomotive.

303784343_ImagefromiOS(69).jpg.be34954fe8ff94af9ef5d1c4cd825339.jpg

870001075_ImagefromiOS(68).jpg.b67bc41251937577e0e89e6de7c5a223.jpg

981311665_ImagefromiOS(67).jpg.b3da687135c638b8b4a87973ee8e241e.jpg

1964158869_ImagefromiOS(66).jpg.7ee9114d6c36acb6d41660ab9feeb208.jpg

1372933595_ImagefromiOS(65).jpg.53e6fdbcaaf78f9bcfec94821e755a17.jpg

Pre-ordered yours yet? Not long left to go! https://accurascale.co.uk/collections/class-55-deltic

Cheers!

Fran 

made for you by Shawplan/extreme etchings? The style of fret looks very familiar..

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, StuAllen said:

Liking the nameplates - I’ve always tried to avoid them in the past mainly as I’m worried about messing up the loco paintwork or getting them wonky. (I’ve got quite chunky fingers, not great at positioning  small details) Has any one got any tips or advice on how to apply them? So what type of glue to use? How to get them aligned properly? 

I Use double sided tape.

leaves no marks, easy to remove and easy to adjust.

I measure the plates, cut the tape pieces to fit, and put into the plate. Then remove the second side of the tape and position onto the body.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Your eyes don't deceive you. Well spotted! 

Cheers!

Fran  

It shouldn't be surprising that you are using high quality suppliers for these...!

And now you've got the etched artwork for all 22 class members sorted in just your first batch!

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, StuAllen said:

Several ways in fact but one which guarantees no mess or damage to the model I have used recently is using BlackTack…..if you stretch a small piece of blacktack out until it is very thin and long it is still nice and sticky and mounts etches nice and uniform on the body side.

And I mean very thin, don’t be frightened to stretch that stuff out :D

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Chris56057 said:

Very tiny amount of matt varnish with a cocktail stick. 

I’ve also used those “glue dispenser” mice (Pritt or other makes are available) - to leave a thin layer of adhesive on the back of the ‘plate

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Several ways in fact but one which guarantees no mess or damage to the model I have used recently is using BlackTack…..if you stretch a small piece of blacktack out until it is very thin and long it is still nice and sticky and mounts etches nice and uniform on the body side.

And I mean very thin, don’t be frightened to stretch that stuff out :D

Funny you should say that, it crossed my mind to try blacktack - glad I'm not the first!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

I Use double sided tape.

leaves no marks, easy to remove and easy to adjust.

I measure the plates, cut the tape pieces to fit, and put into the plate. Then remove the second side of the tape and position onto the body.

Exactly my approach. Works a dream.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I've recently used PVA for plates, slighly keying the back to improve the adhesion of the glue, and seems to stay unless handled roughly, and any excess washes off. Albeit that was for GWR locos with my hope to temporarily rename for short periods (e.g. 5043 Earl of Mount Edgecumbe to Barbury Castle.  For the Deltics I'd be tempted to use a small bit of Sellotape double-sided tape. Worst case removal will end up with a bent plate, and a quick call to shawplan will provide a new set for £7-8! I just don't trust anything more permanent on a brand new expensive model for fear of damaging the body with glue smudges. Especially on the slab side of a Deltic, with nothing to provide visual relief, even some smeared varnish may be noticeable.

There is a high chance I will just go 'ooooh' at the etched plates, put them back in the box, and not actually attach them for several years....

This said, anyone got the same idea as me and will be making an 'accurascale' headboard out of the nameplate etch? Would be a nice tribute to the team behind this model!

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Glue n glaze for me. Apply small and thin amount to loco body, wait until it’s just starting to go off (starts to go from white to clear) then gently press down. Doesn’t mark the model if removed, easily teased off but holds securely for all practical purposes. Apply with a cocktail stick

Of the ideas above I like the black tack suggestion - will try that. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, G-BOAF said:

This said, anyone got the same idea as me and will be making an 'accurascale' headboard out of the nameplate etch? Would be a nice tribute to the team behind this model!

Perhaps Accurascale can have a real headboard made, to run on a few of the real thing ?