Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

WARNING - LOUD NOISES!

As part of our Deltic production each chassis is tested for performance, lighting and in cases of DCC sound models, sound quality.

Here you can see some of the testing on a Deltic chassis, demonstrating the DCC sound start up and other functions such as horn and announcements.

You may also note the taped up sections of track on this test layout. This tests the power bank of capacitors, which allows the model to perform over dirty/dead sections of track without interruption of the sound or running. As you can see, and hear, it performs rather well!

All this tech, all these features, for just £250 DCC Sound fitted! Or, if the sound is too much, you can have the DC/DCC ready version for just £160, representing unbeatable value for money. https://accurascale.co.uk/collections/class-55-deltic

Okay, shameless plug over! 

Cheers!

Fran 

Three observations:

1) What's the loco bodies on the left, interesting colour livery.

2) Please tell the factory they don't have time to play trains

3) Cool :D

• Funny 4

29 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

WARNING - LOUD NOISES!

As part of our Deltic production each chassis is tested for performance, lighting and in cases of DCC sound models, sound quality.

Here you can see some of the testing on a Deltic chassis, demonstrating the DCC sound start up and other functions such as horn and announcements.

You may also note the taped up sections of track on this test layout. This tests the power bank of capacitors, which allows the model to perform over dirty/dead sections of track without interruption of the sound or running. As you can see, and hear, it performs rather well!

All this tech, all these features, for just £250 DCC Sound fitted! Or, if the sound is too much, you can have the DC/DCC ready version for just £160, representing unbeatable value for money. https://accurascale.co.uk/collections/class-55-deltic

Cheers!

Fran 

No shame there at all Fran - sounds amazing

And I love the masking tape trick, certainly makes it obvious

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

One question, when the horn sounds there seems to be a buzzing on the sound, it could be something reverberating on the Loco, I hope rather than the sound file distorting.

Hi @boxbrownie,

It certainly isn’t the sound file distortion. Having heard it in person it’s clear as a bell.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @boxbrownie,

It certainly isn’t the sound file distortion. Having heard it in person it’s clear as a bell.

Cheers!

Fran

Can you hear it on the recording video?

Well if it’s the EM bass speaker making the ECoS vibrate I’m going to be very worried :D

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Funny 1

11 minutes ago, philg said:

While being tempted (again) I noticed that there are FIVE different green models with white window surrounds, but only ONE blue one :angry:

Is there a reason ??

At some stage all green ones had white windows where  as only 5 blues ones had white frames 

12 minutes ago, owentherail said:

At some stage all green ones had white windows where  as only 5 blues ones had white frames 

Actually six blue ones had white window frames. Finsbury Park Depot Manager decided to give its six 'racehorses' a distinctive look back in 1979. I've ordered 'Ballymoss' and 'Tulyar' and am hoping the other four are considered in future production runs with this look.

Fran, do you plan to do an updated sales table on the Deltics?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

One question, when the horn sounds there seems to be a buzzing on the sound, it could be something reverberating on the Loco, I hope rather than the sound file distorting.

I can hear what almost sounds like hissing air - might it be exactly that, the sound of the air from the air horns caught on the recording (depending on how close the microphone was to the horn)?

Then again its really not fair to judge sound through 'recording a recording'.

Re the masking tape - surely its not a proper test until the tape spans both bogies?!

Chassis looks a lovely piece of engineering. Three more days to hopefully escaping the factory!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

WARNING - LOUD NOISES!

Cheers!

Fran 

I'm guessing that given the centre LED for the high-intensity headlight, black/yellow warning signs PRINTED ON THE BULKHEAD!!! (good grief!!!) and the black buffer beam that is a chassis for D9009?

What happened to the painted engine cylinder heads? it just looks black plastic/casting. Or is that fitted to the inside of the body?

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

What happened to the painted engine cylinder heads? it just looks black plastic/casting. Or is that fitted to the inside of the body?

Could it be down to the tungsten they’ve used for the chassis being more difficult to paint so it has been omitted?

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

I'm guessing that given the centre LED for the high-intensity headlight, black/yellow warning signs PRINTED ON THE BULKHEAD!!! (good grief!!!) and the black buffer beam that is a chassis for D9009?

Hi @G-BOAF,

The engines will be painted grey as per our instructions. 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, romley midland said:

Could it be down to the tungsten they’ve used for the chassis being more difficult to paint so it has been omitted?

I thought the tungsten chassis idea was dropped a long time ago?, given the stuff is harder than most machine tools and has a really high melting point (compared with Mazak*).

*Other Zinc alloys are available

Edited by spamcan61
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

I thought the tungsten chassis idea was dropped a long time ago?, given the stuff is harder than most machine tools and has a really high melting point (compared with Mazak*).

*Other Zinc alloys are available

Hi @spamcan61,

That is also correct, the factory did much head scratching around tungsten and felt it could not be done in this application. However we are using a zinc alloy that is not mazak. Over 800g per loco though, so plenty of weight nonetheless!

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Fran, after your starring role in Jennys Monday club , ably supported by Mr McC I'm seriously considering changing my order for Deltic from normal version to sound .   I am DC though and would not have contemplated it , but the purchase of recent models with coreless motors means I've had to disconnect my beloved electronic track cleaners , so I'll no longer fry my chips!

Stephen said it would work ok on DC . Obviously I accept that there's no controls over horn etc (will they go off randomly on DC?) but it might be nice to capture the Deltic drone as she accelerates out of station . Mr McC  did say I would need to apply more power for the loco to move but will it still be able to achieve top running speed ?   I've seen elsewhere that sometimes locos with chips will not run on DC unless the CV is altered . Being DC I have no means of doing this , so if I got a sound Deltic , would it run straight from box without any need for programming etc .  If i got fed up with sound is there any way of turning it off ?

Sorry for all questions . I already have a Deltic from another manufacturer , and have one on order with you . I think it will be something special but having a sound one would make it especially so .  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Legend said:

Fran, after your starring role in Jennys Monday club , ably supported by Mr McC I'm seriously considering changing my order for Deltic from normal version to sound .   I am DC though and would not have contemplated it , but the purchase of recent models with coreless motors means I've had to disconnect my beloved electronic track cleaners , so I'll no longer fry my chips!

Stephen said it would work ok on DC . Obviously I accept that there's no controls over horn etc (will they go off randomly on DC?) but it might be nice to capture the Deltic drone as she accelerates out of station . Mr McC  did say I would need to apply more power for the loco to move but will it still be able to achieve top running speed ?   I've seen elsewhere that sometimes locos with chips will not run on DC unless the CV is altered . Being DC I have no means of doing this , so if I got a sound Deltic , would it run straight from box without any need for programming etc .  If i got fed up with sound is there any way of turning it off ?

Sorry for all questions . I already have a Deltic from another manufacturer , and have one on order with you . I think it will be something special but having a sound one would make it especially so .  

Hi @Legend,

No problem at all. Our DCC sound locos will operate on DC without CV tweaks. However, you would not be able to turn sound off on DCC without tweaking the CVs. It is correct that DCC sound locos on DC take a lot more starting voltage to go through the sound sequence when powering up, but top speed is the same in our experience. 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I didn’t know about the coreless motor thing with the HF track cleaner, so glad I just found out. There is no reason for me to go DCC at the moment as I only have the small layout. I will probably take the plunge when it eventually gets incorporated into a bigger one.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Watching the video again it suddenly occurred to me that the D900X (9?) sticker is positioned over the second speaker. Every chance that that is distorting/vibrating with the high tones....

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

I can hear what almost sounds like hissing air - might it be exactly that, the sound of the air from the air horns caught on the recording (depending on how close the microphone was to the horn)?

Then again its really not fair to judge sound through 'recording a recording'.

Re the masking tape - surely its not a proper test until the tape spans both bogies?!

Chassis looks a lovely piece of engineering. Three more days to hopefully escaping the factory!

Exactly yes, just something I noticed….I pointed it out in case it was just something on the “unfinished” mule making the noise and not a fault with the sound.

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Watching the video again it suddenly occurred to me that the D900X (9?) sticker is positioned over the second speaker. Every chance that that is distorting/vibrating with the high tones....

Yes I noticed that on rerunning the video, hopefully it’s just a one off thing with the test Loco.