Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

• RMweb Premium

Presumably the framing continued the gradient outboard of the bogies, pointing the cabs slightly skywards.

I believe the noses actually sagged over time, which was what eventually prompted the plating of the quarterlights.

Perhaps this real-world deviation from the EE designers' intent contributed to the controversy over the bonnet top slope on the Bachmann model.

The Nim.

Nope - the Bachmann 00 model was just subtly wrong; even the corrected Farish tooling isn't quite there. This is not helped by the mould designs Bachmann use which can't do detail on the windscreen.

The CAD render in Andy's post looks spot on to me in the crucial aspect of the face (helped by being reproduced from a youthful trainspotter's point of view, just as I remember them!). If Accurascale can translate this to plastic they'll be perilously close to The Definitive Deltic. In which case I might even listen when they tell me about correctly modelled horn wipers, battery marker lights and such.

• RMweb Gold

Presuming the surveying was done by scanning, I wonder whether the data was tidied up to make the underframe sidesills straight. Even when relatively new, some photos show something of a sag between the bogies, which would only have increased over a hard-worked life. Presumably the framing continued the gradient outboard of the bogies, pointing the cabs slightly skywards.

Perhaps this real-world deviation from the EE designers' intent contributed to the controversy over the bonnet top slope on the Bachmann model.

The Nim.

PS: I see no mention of buffers. These changed over the life of the locos, originally being Turton-Platt types, which were slimmer. This was reflected in the 'cuff' panels covering their bases.

Hi Nimbus, 

We're investing heavily in making 23 models in this initial batch and all possible variations, so these models can be the 'definitive' Deltic. Rest assured that every possible detail throughout their lives will be rendered in 4mm :)

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Fran this morning covered a lot (and I mean a very long list, horns, grills, windows etc) of differences, i’m Sure when he’s finished ringing the cash register today he’ll let us know. One of them is the Porterbrook livery with its wipacs etc !

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Is it possible to buy D9009 on the layaway scheme or is it different for the rails if Sheffield releases?

I understand that you can pre-order with Rails on the same basis as with the Accurascale models, with a £30 payment to secure your order.

• RMweb Gold

...aaaand it looks like they already have.

Is the test model from actual tooling or is it a rapid prototype from CAD? Either way it looks superb.

It's a stereo-lithography print to test the CAD. Obviously it's missing a lot of detail too, including all the lovely grills and such. We'd hope to be sharing tooling samples in the coming months. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's a stereo-lithography print to test the CAD.

Thanks for the quick reply. Looking forward to the real thing.

Obviously it's missing a lot of detail too, including all the lovely grills and such.

They'd be away in the Lovely Grills competition, then.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• Five-Pole motor with two flywheels
  • Metal Helical Gear box for maximum performance and slow speed running
  • Gearing arranged so locomotive can achieve a scale top speed of 100 mph
  • DCC ready with 21pin interface

I hope that it is arranged so that it can obtain a prototypical top speed, not just 100mph.

Deltics were well capable of speeds over 120 and were recorded doing so.

• RMweb Gold

• Five-Pole motor with two flywheels
  • Metal Helical Gear box for maximum performance and slow speed running
  • Gearing arranged so locomotive can achieve a scale top speed of 100 mph
  • DCC ready with 21pin interface

I hope that it is arranged so that it can obtain a prototypical top speed, not just 100mph.

Deltics were well capable of speeds over 120 and were recorded doing so.

Absolutely!

• Like 1

Unless you beat me to it its well worth uploading a photo showing the internal part of the model which depicts a lot of the engine detail same with the cab interiors at both ends.  I couldn't get a great photo either in that cabinet and with the lighting at the show.....

If Accurascale are going to such lengths to produce this level of internal detail is it worth fitting engine room lighting too?

I don't think anybody guessed the new loco was going to be a Delly.

• RMweb Gold

Unless you beat me to it its well worth uploading a photo showing the internal part of the model which depicts a lot of the engine detail same with the cab interiors at both ends.  I couldn't get a great photo either in that cabinet and with the lighting at the show.....

If Accurascale are going to such lengths to produce this level of internal detail is it worth fitting engine room lighting too?

Hi! Yes, the lighting pack includes full interior lighting, including the engine bay :)

• Fully detailed Lighting Pack, including: 
    • Directional lighting, DC and DCC
    • Marker lights can be turned off when train is coupled to loco 
    • High intensity headlight function where applicable
    • Separately switched cab lighting and illuminated, details driver’s console, auto off on movement
    • Engine bay lighting
Edited by McC
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I understand that you can pre-order with Rails on the same basis as with the Accurascale models, with a £30 payment to secure your order.

Looks really promising so far, cannot wait to see the final model,

Out of interest do you have any idea how difficult your nameplate printing will be to remove? Looking at the list I think the closest model to the condition I need to model d9000 in 1998 (green small yellow end with high intensity headlight) will be the ltd of d9002, however given the size of deltic plates I’d like an idea as to how difficult it will be to remove the printed names and numbers

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Looks really promising so far, cannot wait to see the final model,

Out of interest do you have any idea how difficult your nameplate printing will be to remove? Looking at the list I think the closest model to the condition I need to model d9000 in 1998 (green small yellow end with high intensity headlight) will be the ltd of d9002, however given the size of deltic plates I’d like an idea as to how difficult it will be to remove the printed names and numbers

Thanks

We will be announcing a range of new versions and numbers over time, so while we might not cover everyones specific wants in these first 22 locos, more will come.

That said, all the printing will be removable using t-cut or similar, as with most RTR stock, should you wish to change things about. The locos featuring crests / nameplates will have Shawplan etched detail parts supplied.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We will be announcing a range of new versions and numbers over time, so while we might not cover everyones specific wants in these first 22 locos, more will come.

That said, all the printing will be removable using t-cut or similar, as with most RTR stock, should you wish to change things about. The locos featuring crests / nameplates will have Shawplan etched detail parts supplied.

Thanks,

Given my specific need of 9000 when it was working for Virgin in 1998 is rather niche, more than happy to do a bit of modelling to get what I want. However having tried it before painting a high intensity headlight on green small yellow end deltic

Is a total pain and not a job I’d like to repeat!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks,

Given my specific need of 9000 when it was working for Virgin in 1998 is rather niche, more than happy to do a bit of modelling to get what I want. However having tried it before painting a high intensity headlight on green small yellow end deltic

Is a total pain and not a job I’d like to repeat!

We have tooled the HI headlight / modern version - Rails / NRM / DPS are offering some options: https://railsofsheffield.com/groups/2519/brand-new-annoucements

• RMweb Gold

Yes, they did!!

Keith

• RMweb Gold

https://accurascale.co.uk/products/d9020-nimbus for now, but we'll eventually get around to all versions and variations after these initial 22 :)

Too big for me I'm afraid—the only OO locos I go for have to be small, and a Deltic is a big loco. That said, if you ever do "Nimbus" in the condition it was when I travelled behind it (blue livery, numbered 9020) I might be tempted...