Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/01/2020 at 11:04, boxbrownie said:

TBH I think we should worry more about the unfortunate inhabitants over there than whether the delivery of one of our “toys” is going to be held up.......

Well made point, they are just our toy trains after all.

• Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...

Good afternoon all, I have one of these Accurascale 'Deltics' on order, a Finsbury Park blue job with alternative P4 gauge wheelsets. I had also purchased a 'OO' NRM Bachmann prototype about 4 years ago with the intention of modifying it with correct size wheels and Penbits 'bits' just to see what the visuals and running would be like and I was quite happy with the results. But, to all intents and purposes it's still a toy train, as 'NoelG' quite rightly points out!  The almost finished model is shown here but the R/H bogie frame is loose. Regards. HL.1913309317_DSCN1039(2018_10_2410_38_18UTC).JPG.f13d71cff1a4b063cffca9cfd8c72bd4.JPG

Edited by harry lamb
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

3 hours ago, harry lamb said:

Good afternoon all, I have one of these Accurascale 'Deltics' on order, a Finsbury Park blue job with alternative P4 gauge wheelsets. I had also purchased a 'OO' NRM Bachmann prototype about 4 years ago with the intention of modifying it with correct size wheels and Penbits 'bits' just to see what the visuals and running would be like and I was quite happy with the results. But, to all intents and purposes it's still a toy train, as 'NoelG' quite rightly points out!  The almost finished model is shown here but the R/H bogie frame is loose. Regards. HL.1913309317_DSCN1039(2018_10_2410_38_18UTC).JPG.f13d71cff1a4b063cffca9cfd8c72bd4.JPG

That looks magnificent. :clapping:Oh dear I'll probably "rot in the bogie of eternal stench" for that past reference to toy choo choos. That is one superb model.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

16 hours ago, harry lamb said:

Good afternoon all, I have one of these Accurascale 'Deltics' on order, a Finsbury Park blue job with alternative P4 gauge wheelsets.

How did you order the alternative wheels, I can't see an option for that on the website?

John

Good afternoon and thankyou for your kind comments gentlemen. However, atom3624, I don't have the answer to the question of minimum radius curves in P4/S4 as it is supposed to follow prototype practice as far as possible in all situations. Take a good look at as many photographs of the real thing in action or idle and attempt to replicate those situations. It works. Believe me!  Therefore I only 'mess about' with P4 track and wheel standards only and do not build layouts or suchlike. I do not possess the necessary skills and imagination to produce a working model railway as a whole. Motive power, stock and trackwork are my main interests so I stick to these three core items and create 'shunting planks' every 2-4 years to 'play' with, after all, a change is as good as a rest! Now 'johndon', the P4 wheelsets came from Ultrascale, not Accurascale. These are the generic 3' 7" disc favoured for this particular type of bogie for EE types 3 and 5 and the D400's  If you are looking for the earlier production Deltic wheels with the holed wheel disc then, as far as I am aware, Alan Gibson may have them. Because my last 'test track' was dismantled when I recently moved home and the new one is not even at the bench building stage all I have is some pictures on the old one prior to scrapping so I have included a couple of the engine standing on a curve and a shot of the curves it had to negotiate.  After looking at these pictures, which I haven't seen for a couple years, I can clearly see the dilemma Accurascale are facing but I'm certain that they will overcome this problem.  Regards, and thankyou for your interest. HL   

IMG_4429_(2018_10_24_10_38_18_UTC).JPG

DSCN1198 (2018_10_24 10_38_18 UTC) (2).jpg

DSCN0958 (2018_10_24 10_38_18 UTC) - Copy.JPG

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

53 minutes ago, iak said:

So for us picky , proper sized P4 wheels will be available then?

I trust you will be contacting people at a suitable time for what flavour wheels they would like?

The way I interpret @harry lamb is that he has some separate wheelsets on order to suit the deltic from another manufacturer called Ultrascale, they are not coming from Accurascale.

Doesn't sound like Accurascale are going to be ringing you up asking what wheels you'd like.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

EM and P4 wheels are something we are looking at viability wise of course, but should we go ahead they will be sold in packs separately and user fitted. 

Many thanks,

Fran

As the aftermarket producers are fully committed time wise, new products are not now being developed.

i have bought factory fitted EM & P4 class 24s and they make life so much easier. I’d be equally as happy to buy a pack as an add on 

presumably, a wide gauge wheel set for the deltic would also work in the 37?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

i have bought factory fitted EM & P4 class 24s and they make life so much easier. I’d be equally as happy to buy a pack as an add on

Another vote for this. I'd happily buy P4 wheelsets from Accurascale, whether or not they needed to be user-fitted.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Good afternoon, Just out of interest. All EE classes from 20, 23, 37, 50, 55 plus DP2 used the same size wheel. BRCW and Brush type 2 driving wheels are the same, 3' 7". For those of you who use quite generous curvature on your 'OO' gauge model railways an increase in wheel diameter could be tried as the thickness of the tyre in replacement wheelsets may be thinner than RTR and the wider B-2-B may also give a little extra play behind the skirts in such situations. Replacement wheels from the two main suppliers, AGW (Alan Gibson) and Ultrascale are available in all three gauges and use industry standard 2mm. axles which would mean the existing wheels could be twisted off and correct dia. wheels directly substituted. Changing gauge from 'OO' to either EM or P4 requires an axle change. Currently Ultrascale have a 3 month wait for orders to be completed but it's worth it. I have attempted to add a link to my Flickr page but I'm not too sure about these forum thingumbybobs. Seriously I haven't a clue really on how to use them correctly and I never touch social media. Not my cup of tea really. Regards. HL. 

Edited by harry lamb
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Not that I could ever understand why anyone would want a purple Deltic, but i just found about 10 pictures, which my misguided youth (i was nearly 30) persuaded me to take... I must have been mad...

6F1513B6-FDDE-42DF-A1A7-8762BFF75513.jpeg.650c6cdf684e96c0dab8f033c13b72c5.jpeg

heres the wording of the plaque, which was quite definitely multi-riveted on.. i guess taking no chances there.9E461072-762B-42EC-B11E-0093F50EE2F2.jpeg.269117381b550f62b9b4176f43d9f1f6.jpeg

but I did notice that he cab had a “reengineered by Brush Traction” plaque next to the number, not a cab side data panel as on the website artwork, plus a 64B shed plate under the porterbrook logo

61DDD350-1094-44A4-8B40-AF2F3AFF6964.jpeg.2a9e83362513cbba514bc877501bc04f.jpeg

4D14448D-9EC1-43A7-9E99-3F3976567E7B.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Not that I could ever understand why anyone would want a purple Deltic, but i just found about 10 pictures, which my misguided youth (i was nearly 30) persuaded me to take... I must have been mad...

6F1513B6-FDDE-42DF-A1A7-8762BFF75513.jpeg.650c6cdf684e96c0dab8f033c13b72c5.jpeg

heres the wording of the plaque, which was quite definitely multi-riveted on.. i guess taking no chances there.9E461072-762B-42EC-B11E-0093F50EE2F2.jpeg.269117381b550f62b9b4176f43d9f1f6.jpeg

but I did notice that he cab had a “reengineered by Brush Traction” plaque next to the number, not a cab side data panel as on the website artwork, plus a 64B shed plate under the porterbrook logo

61DDD350-1094-44A4-8B40-AF2F3AFF6964.jpeg.2a9e83362513cbba514bc877501bc04f.jpeg

4D14448D-9EC1-43A7-9E99-3F3976567E7B.jpeg

Superb pictures – thank you for posting them. I like that livery very much. Why? I already have a green and a blue Deltic In particular, the blue livery wasn’t kind to most diesels as it emphasised their slab-sidedness. Two-tone green was much more imaginative and the grey stripe of the purple livery likewise helps overcome the slab-sidedness. It’s the only Deltic I’ve ordered so far. As atom3624 says, each to his (or her) own. As I’ve mentioned, purple would be top of my granddaughter’s list. Perhaps those who dislike the purple are not so blessed as I am!

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, IamDaniel said:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't find the info on the Rails / Accrascale websites - when are the models due, please? Only asking for budgeting reasons!

https://accurascale.co.uk/blogs/news/deltic-update-january-2020

They're looking at late Novemeber as of now. I can see that slipping a bit myself into maybe very early 21 because of the Covid19 situation. 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, IamDaniel said:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't find the info on the Rails / Accrascale websites - when are the models due, please? Only asking for budgeting reasons!

Hi Daniel,

The Deltics are due in November 2020.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers! 

Fran

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It was finally good to meet the Accurascale team in person at Glasgow and see Gareth again. Thanks to them I got to have a little go of the sample Deltic on Rannoch.

Now I know how popular the Deltics are to many, but they are well down my list of Diesels after 31’s, 37’s, 47’s, 60’s, 68’s and even 66’s! Don’t judge me lol!

The reason I even mention the above is to illustrate my thoughts on how good the model is. It is simply the best 4mm model in my opinion that I’ve ever seen made. It’s heavy - I don’t think it will struggle to pull whatever train you want. It looks like a Deltic from all angles and has superb bogies, front end details and the fuel tanks look brilliant. The level of detail goes on well beyond what we’ve seen before like through the engine room windows and cab details. 

It truly will be an outstanding model and I will need to find room for 55022 to fit the more current years at some point.

All the best

Mark

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• 4 weeks later...