Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

Guest Half-full

The clip of the Deltic smoking through Bellgrove with the Spotrail liveried 318 is the winner for me.

Reproduce that and I'll give you my house!!!!!!!

Edited by Half-full
Got me units crossed

2 hours ago, ChrisMitchell said:

Fantastic video.

But surely the question for Fran must be how to reproduce the exhaust

I reckon you shove a Vape stick (sorry not a smoker thus is that what they are called) into the body and somehow funnel it upwards thru the exhaust outlet :good:

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, classy52 said:

I reckon you shove a Vape stick (sorry not a smoker thus is that what they are called) into the body and somehow funnel it upwards thru the exhaust outlet :good:

:lol: I never thought of that, what puts me off the Kettles is the fact although you can get amazing sound nowadays even the best small “smoke elements” look pathetic, but I am amazed sometimes at the sudden “exhaust” of a dense cloud of smoke from a car window or somebody wandering along the street (horrible to a non smoker if you ask me) if only some manufacturer could use the same technology in a kettle or even a Deltic which will be released soon eh Fran? :D

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, classy52 said:

I have always avoided smoke because clouds of it indoors doesn’t seem like a good idea (even if some of them do smell of coal dust and hot oil). As well, unevaporated smoke oil can leak everywhere. Water vapour would be much less injurious to health and to models but I’m not keen on the idea of excessive damp indoors either. Pauliebanger experimented with Deltic smoke in 7mm models and some of the results were starting to look impressive.

I’ll tell you what. You chaps install the smoke units and I’ll enjoy the videos! :D

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

What a great video! It's why we're going to the lengths we are to try replicate these beasts in 4mm with our twin speaker set up. Nothing beats the real locos though, my ears are still ringing from my cab ride when we recorded the sound for our model! 

We did look at one engine but we are space constrained unfortunately on the chip. However, two engines always sound better than one! 

We have seen vape technology used and demonstrated for models by a company at Nuremberg toy fair, and it was the most convincing smoke effect I have seen on a model to date. There should be enough room for it in our model, I wonder if someone will fit it?

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

What a great video! It's why we're going to the lengths we are to try replicate these beasts in 4mm with our twin speaker set up. Nothing beats the real locos though, my ears are still ringing from my cab ride when we recorded the sound for our model! 

We did look at one engine but we are space constrained unfortunately on the chip. However, two engines always sound better than one! 

We have seen vape technology used and demonstrated for models by a company at Nuremberg toy fair, and it was the most convincing smoke effect I have seen on a model to date. There should be enough room for it in our model, I wonder if someone will fit it?

Cheers!

Fran

So there's an actual Vape unit already modified for model train use?...you know what to do lads :yes:

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, classy52 said:

Yes of course, do you have links or any info on the smoke product in question?

I dont I'm afraid, if I recall them I will let you know. 

I did see a layout in OO using similar tech in spam cans and Merchant Navys on a BRM DVD I think a while back using same, but I cannot recall the layout name. Sorry, lockdown seems to have turned my brain into mush! Once I remember I will post it.

Cheers!

Fran

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

I did see a layout in OO using similar tech in spam cans and Merchant Navys on a BRM DVD I think a while back using same, but I cannot recall the layout name.

Bournemouth West. It was at the same exhibition as you in October. :D

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Its that key change when the field diverts kick in that does it for me.... goosebumps! If the sound files can get anywhere near that then far too many non prototypical appearances on our layout will be the result......

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Will the headcodes be able to be chosen by the purcherser (and if so how?), or will they be fixed for each model? If the later, will they be ad per the original artwork for each model?

Each model will come with head-codes fitted, as well as a simple way to change them. Each loco includes a set of relevant head-codes that you can change.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, McC said:

Each model will come with head-codes fitted, as well as a simple way to change them. Each loco includes a set of relevant head-codes that you can change.

Roller blinds then??? Hee hee

As described this is the best possible option.....

3 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Its that key change when the field diverts kick in that does it for me.... goosebumps! If the sound files can get anywhere near that then far too many non prototypical appearances on our layout will be the result......

Roads and Rails have a decent sound setup that comes close - I am sure there is a clip on the You Tube.

Ian

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, McC said:

Simple ?  In my case you would have to descend several notches into the muddle fingered idiot area to define that.Phil’s idea of the roller blind is intriguing. So where do we fit the winding key ?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, scottrains29 said:

The forthcoming Dapol class 59 will have a factory fitted diesel smoke generator installed. Perhaps they'll produce the part as a spare.

Surely a Deltic will need two?

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, McC said:

Excellent, I'm quite hoping to have my D9002 fitted with the North and Southbound Scotsman headcodes as it has often been displayed at York.

3 hours ago, scottrains29 said:

The forthcoming Dapol class 59 will have a factory fitted diesel smoke generator installed. Perhaps they'll produce the part as a spare.

I read that as frothcoming.....!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, G-BOAF said:

Excellent, I'm quite hoping to have my D9002 fitted with the North and Southbound Scotsman headcodes as it has often been displayed at York.

I read that as frothcoming.....!

If there’s froth as well as smoke something’s gone very wrong inside! :lol:

• Funny 3