Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, sirwilliamfrs said:

Rails of Sheffield have a limited edition version of D9019 listed in 1965 two-tone green condition. It is shown in profile on their website as having plated over front cabside windows. Is this a mistake in the drawing or was this loco an exception by having the  modification before any other? In all the photos I can find from this period the window is shown as glazed. 

Hi there,

No, side windows are in place on D9019 and is apparent in the artwork?

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/37138/accurascale-cl55-d9008-oo-gauge-the-green-howards-class-55-d9008-deltic-in-ex-works-green-livery-as-delivered-july-1961-

Thanks,

Fran

• RMweb Gold

Due to health issues I’ve had to cancel my Rail’s special Class 55 which is a bit of a downer as I’m downsizing and I really don’t have a need for it, but don’t despair as I’ve ordered a Class 37, 37608 in Europhoenix livery as that fits just nicely.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

6 Weeks since anyone posted on the Deltic thread.

Any progress with tooling tweaks?

When are livery samples expected?

Hi there,

Tooling tweaks are still progressing, but these do take time, not to mention the pressure factories are under due to COVID backlogs. Once we have new information it will be shared here asap!

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A quick question - I have Meld on order as it's my favourite name - but i have no idea what year(s) it is correct for?

Rule 1 comes into play and it's not my area of knowledge and will need something for it to pull :)

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Bucoops said:

A quick question - I have Meld on order as it's my favourite name - but i have no idea what year(s) it is correct for?

Rule 1 comes into play and it's not my area of knowledge and will need something for it to pull :)

It was renumbered 55003 in Feb 1974 and had dominos by October 1975 (maybe earlier), so somewhere in that range.

Edit: Now found a photo with dominos quoting 28/7/1975.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

It was renumbered 55003 in Feb 1974 and had dominos by October 1975 (maybe earlier), so somewhere in that range.

Edit: Now found a photo with dominos quoting 28/7/175.

Roy

Perfect thank you - so a very narrow time span. Makes things easier!

• RMweb Gold

Ordered 55001 sound fitted a week ago, looking forward to it arriving. My model railway budget is much tighter now having retired and most funds now diverted to fishing , but this was one I cannot miss.

Very happy memories of the prototype during their BR blue years, from first sightings at York in September 1974, the big booming Napiers under the station roof at KX, coupled with the unmistakable V exhaust. But my favourite sighting was Meld thundering on a through train at Peterborough whilst we were waiting for a class 105 to take us to March, September 1977. Good grief was all that over 43 years ago? 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Downendian said:

Ordered 55001 sound fitted a week ago, looking forward to it arriving. My model railway budget is much tighter now having retired and most funds now diverted to fishing , but this was one I cannot miss.

Very happy memories of the prototype during their BR blue years, from first sightings at York in September 1974, the big booming Napiers under the station roof at KX, coupled with the unmistakable V exhaust. But my favourite sighting was Meld thundering on a through train at Peterborough whilst we were waiting for a class 105 to take us to March, September 1977. Good grief was all that over 43 years ago? 

I've ordered mine too but Meld I think in two tone  green, I first saw these things in 1961 at Grantham,  we'd been chucked off the station and made our way to the road bridge just past the shed...........my goodness what an impression this thing made, the sound and the presence still lives in my rather small brain, it was followed by another, same impression. Neither were named at that time and we thought that these will continue to be part of the A1/2/3/4 mix for ever...........:(

Mike

• Like 2

On 08/09/2020 at 13:07, Downendian said:

I remember my first train spotting trip as a young teenager thru from Glasgow to Edinburgh Waverley, and being at one end of the station bagging my first Class 31, when I heard this deafening noise........ Needless to say I headed over to the other side of the station wondering what the earth was this magical sound, to then be confronted with my first Deltic........... 40+ years on the throb of these engines still sticks in my mind and I am counting the days until “St Paddy” arrives from Accurascale.......

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Over the coming weeks we will be providing you with updates on all our current projects including the Class 92, KUA and JSA. Here is the latest update on the Deltic project https://accurascale.co.uk/blogs/news/deltic-update-september-2020

212162874_DelticCabLayout3.jpg.3ba763f443ca217d2d8d7715afe9e0dc.jpg

Cheers!

Fran

Edited by Accurascale Fran
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 5

Q2 2021 will be around 30 months since announcement, and presumably there was at least 6 months work on measurement and CAD production before the model was first announced. Minus six months for COVID really does go to show the realistic length of time needed to produce a decent, hopefully error-free loco from scratch is around 2.5 years.

Can't wait for my model, but will have to be patient!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, G-BOAF said:

Q2 2021 will be around 30 months since announcement, and presumably there was at least 6 months work on measurement and CAD production before the model was first announced. Minus six months for COVID really does go to show the realistic length of time needed to produce a decent, hopefully error-free loco from scratch is around 2.5 years.

Can't wait for my model, but will have to be patient!

Pretty much, though we have learned a lot on this, our first loco which will help us save time in future projects as we touch on in the update. Overall you are looking at a two year project from start to finish when you take learning curve out of it!

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Good to see pains being taken:  if any class deserves to be got right it's this one and I'm sure it will be worth the wait.  I am impatient to see the livery samples though as endless drooling over prototype photos still hasn't brought me to a decision over which of the darn things to buy* (sadly can't stretch to more than one before anybody suggests it).   

*Wouldn't have been the hideously empurpled one, even if you hadn't built it to 00 proportions :D

• Funny 1

Quite happy to wait for my 9021, more time to assemble a decent train. Just out of interest which was the last Deltic in green? Both 06 and 14  got to early 1969 in green with dual brakes and full yellow ends but no eth. I can feel a second pre order coming on (wallet runs from room).

Edited by w124bob
  • Like 1

Just received your Class 55 email update and without stating the obvious the honesty with your customers and/or non-customers in regards to the challenges faced & subsequently overcome have to be commended, never seen this type of transparency anywhere else within model railway market.

Edited by classy52
  • Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the update and I’m seriously considering reinstating my order with Rails for one of their specials.  Can I ask, will they arrive with the main batch or shipped separately?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, jools1959 said:

Thanks for the update and I’m seriously considering reinstating my order with Rails for one of their specials.  Can I ask, will they arrive with the main batch or shipped separately?

Hi Jools,

All of them will come together at the time of writing. That's the plan anyway!

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Jools,

All of them will come together at the time of writing. That's the plan anyway!

Cheers!

Fran

Hi Fran,

I thought they would and as you put in your latest update, hopefully they will arrive in Q2 2021, plenty of time to save up :D.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1