Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, lwnameplates said:

remember a tour with 22 where we hit 115 mph so it does happen

Fastest I’ve ever been in a Deltic was 105 mph.......that was noisy enough........we did get a rather goodly limited HST up to 135 mph once, that was on the only stretch of the ECML that was 150 rated at the time BTW, no worries ;)

1 hour ago, stovepipe said:

This is what I worked out on time spans for each when I was ordering. Accurascale may wish to confirm or deny :)

image.png.4123041105c8504c930e1565428af74a.png

That's fantastic, thanks!

I think I will order D9016 this time round and hope that a second batch may see D9000 released in BR Green covering that late 90s period with Virgin Trains!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Were they not limited to 100 m.p.h. but towards the end of their time on the ECML, the engineers at EE very sportingly removed the limiters so that they and the drivers could see what they could do?

I haven't ever seen a reference to limiters on the locomotives, but remember that line speeds weren't raised above 100mph until preparations for the HSTs in the late 70s.  This page has some interesting anecdotes http://www.delticsounds.com/deltichowfast.html

2 hours ago, stovepipe said:

This is what I worked out on time spans for each when I was ordering. Accurascale may wish to confirm or deny :)

image.png.4123041105c8504c930e1565428af74a.png

Actually 55002 in its green 1980-81 livery is a lot longer lived. It attended depot open days in the 1980s, obviously not under its own power. Then it worked on a number of heritage lines until an abortive restoration attempt at Brush in Sept 1999. This would give  a 19 year timespan for the 55002 model! Therefore actually the longest lived of all the accurascale Deltics! However I would not be surprised if D9002 in its current guise gets close to this, although rather less well travelled. It was repainted to a very high standard in 2016, and is now retired on display. I can't see it working or being repainted again until after 2030 (sadly, as it would be great to get the cylinder liner fixed and back in even occasional mainline use and heritage line visits); lets hope for a more enlightened views prevailing at the NRM in future years

See here at Ayr in 1983

Ayr Shed line-up (2) . Oct'83.

55002_40012_Swanwick_24061989

Midland Railway Centre 1989

BR55002 Deltic the Kings Own YorkshireLightInfantry fenmantour ns027 wjcr

Nene Valley Railway?? 1995

Nearly Like The Real Thing.

East Lancashire Railway 1996

East Lancashire Railway 1997

1999-09 D9002 Brush Works Loughborough

Start of repaint at Brush Sept 1999

EDIT - just realised the above pic shows the original centre-positioned BR Crest pre-naming (with holes for subsequent nameplates), sitting under layers of paint. Thanks to the photographer for capturing this! Almost a shame to sand and fill away all that history!

Then re-emerged in I think c.2005 from Barrow Hill in BR Blue.

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Were they not limited to 100 m.p.h. but towards the end of their time on the ECML, the engineers at EE very sportingly removed the limiters so that they and the drivers could see what they could do?

They were officially marked up as 100 mph top speed, but often gained a bit to make up time.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

G_BOAF.

Yes I probably should say I just looked at the original BR service period, and noted which were current or recent liveries. My own interests are the post-steam to the start of the TOPS era.

Edited by stovepipe

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

hqdefault.jpg.549b7f0c3d7f9d0238542932dd5118ac.jpg

Is that Fran?  Right, ye bar steward, if you sell any Deltics to anyone but me, remember I know where you live!  They're mine, mine, ALL MINE!

Lockdowns not been goo to you has it?  :D

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Class 158 productions said:

And the counting begins...

Not that I'm interested in counting, but the back faces (let alone rivet heads) aren't actually visible in the photo of the model.

Edited by 'CHARD
Clarry Fi Cayshun
  • Agree 3

29 minutes ago, McC said:

Screenshot 2021-02-10 at 13.42.12.png

Sorry, for clarification I was referring to the back faces of the buffers (as per my picture above, showing a side on view of the buffer). Not sure it was unique, but Deltic buffers appeared to be made of the face, riveted onto a round plate which itself was one-part with the buffer 'piston'.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi guys,

Due to them being turned metal there are no rivets on the rear of the buffer heads. It's something that's not possible on metal buffer heads I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Fran

Come on Fran, I was expecting a response that says you are actually creating them at 12" to the foot, with real rivets and then using a Wonkavision television to shrink them to 4mm scale ;)

Seriously, I think you have set a very high standard and I doubt I would have noticed a lack of rivets being in awe of the rest of the loco.  I am still almost speechless over the shot of the blue roof grill that you released a few days ago.

Roy

• Funny 1

28 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi guys,

Due to them being turned metal there are no rivets on the rear of the buffer heads. It's something that's not possible on metal buffer heads I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Fran

Fair enough. I thought if they were cast metal this would be possible (I believe some odd-shaped buffers like Hornby Gresley coach buffers are cast rather than turned).

Not to worry; compromises are necessary!

4 minutes ago, Csalem said:

I think at some point too have to acknowledge can't have everything replicated 100% on a model this size. Though would be nice to have a little working diesel engine inside it :)

I mean the fact that the crank cases and an outline of the extreme protrusions of the engine units are modelled is quite exceptional!

Were it not for the need for a great big can motor, I'm sure a complete reprasentation of the deltic block would have been possible!

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Csalem said:

I think at some point too have to acknowledge can't have everything replicated 100% on a model this size. Though would be nice to have a little working diesel engine inside it :)

I assume you have an outdoor layout.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Csalem said:

I wouldn’t go that far, but a working hot plate in the cab would be nice for the steam from the billy :D

• Funny 3