Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

9 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @delticfan ,

Checking back on our research images we conclude that both samples are correct.

55002; Finsbury Park T.M.D.; 1981

Boiler roof on 55002 is not fully grey and D9002 as it is now is also correct on the sample.

Cheers!

Fran

Thanks Fran stand fully corrected, that’s fresh out of Doncaster in Dec 80. 1st July 81 it was released from York shed repainted / cleaned up for the second time, I wonder if the boiler roof was painted fully grey then anyway no matter but interesting to research. I only remember the 1st July as it ran into York from KX about 7pm and a rather excited 14 year old got his first Deltic cab ride as it followed the stock out of platform 3. 53 and I still remember it .....magic!

Edited by delticfan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, 50A55B said:

The thing to look out for is of a data panel which is completely blue & white with a complete set of numerals, as the model depicts. 

I've looked at many photos but am unable to find one of a completely blue data panel, the panels appeared green after it's original repaint but patches of blue appeared from around 06/81 onwards.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

Rare traction haulage always brought out the bellowers and wailers, I see one enthusiast has managed to cab it. :lol:

The booked traction had failed terminally and I doubt the substituted diesel was actually that popular at the time, except with the oddball D&E basher (is it @Clive Mortimore?).

"...unfortunately, the horse that had been booked to haul the special train had died and a shiny red David Brown tractor was used instead."

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

On 18/02/2021 at 08:20, Accurascale Fran said:

Agreed and is on the snag list :) We had it right in the artwork but got printed in the slightly wrong location. 

We will look into that one but looks like you are indeed correct. 

Our version is as it was in its last years of BR service. 

Cheers!

Fran

Just a comment on 55022. Seems the livery chosen for the model was one of two slight variants in its final months, and it seems the silver central section of the roof was short-lived.

From what I can find from photographs, the silver cantrail grilles and roof appeared late-Oct 1981 and was still there at the York line-up of 4/5 Nov. However, by the time of the Deltic Venturer railtour of 28 Nov 1981 the central roof panels had been re-painted blue but the silver grilles remained, and it stayed that way until withdrawal.

Links to Flickr:

24/10/1981 - York (YK) TMD.

05/11/1981 - York (YK) TMD.

1981 28-11 55022 Findern 1Z38 The Deltic Venturer

Great to see these models – they look absolutely fantastic! Congratulations to Fran and all at Accurascale.

Have ordered Tulyar, still deciding on which other(s) to choose.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Gaz101 said:

Just a comment on 55022. Seems the livery chosen for the model was one of two slight variants in its final months, and it seems the silver central section of the roof was short-lived.

From what I can find from photographs, the silver cantrail grilles and roof appeared late-Oct 1981 and was still there at the York line-up of 4/5 Nov. However, by the time of the Deltic Venturer railtour of 28 Nov 1981 the central roof panels had been re-painted blue but the silver grilles remained, and it stayed that way until withdrawal.

Links to Flickr:

24/10/1981 - York (YK) TMD.

05/11/1981 - York (YK) TMD.

1981 28-11 55022 Findern 1Z38 The Deltic Venturer

Great to see these models – they look absolutely fantastic! Congratulations to Fran and all at Accurascale.

Have ordered Tulyar, still deciding on which other(s) to choose.

Interesting. Not sure what AS are planning for D9000/55022, but for what it's worth, I'd like it in final railtour condition.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Flying Pig said:

The booked traction had failed terminally and I doubt the substituted diesel was actually that popular at the time, except with the oddball D&E basher (is it @Clive Mortimore?).

"...unfortunately, the horse that had been booked to haul the special train had died and a shiny red David Brown tractor was used instead."

Hi Simon

Oddball, yes

D&E basher, no. A pass time I have never participated in. From those do/did they said it is/was fun.

Anyhow I shouldn't be viewing or commenting on this thread since Fran's refusal to do "St Paddy" in green with a Finsbury Park yellow panel. Also after he did not take my suggestion for a shunting horse as a potential model seriously. Just think of all the different types of tack each railway had and the range of colours of horses, missed sales potential. :umbrage:  And the hours of fun watching Gareth trying scan a moving target.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

23 minutes ago, Chilly said:

And one with the light at the front :whistle:

Which light are you refering to? It was remarked a few pages ago they considered doing the original flashing headlight (first few months in service) but that was not practical within tooling limits.

It would appear that the modern headlight (1997 onwards) is possible with the D9000 tooling.

16 hours ago, delticfan said:

Thanks Fran stand fully corrected, that’s fresh out of Doncaster in Dec 80. 1st July 81 it was released from York shed repainted / cleaned up for the second time, I wonder if the boiler roof was painted fully grey then anyway no matter but interesting to research. I only remember the 1st July as it ran into York from KX about 7pm and a rather excited 14 year old got his first Deltic cab ride as it followed the stock out of platform 3. 53 and I still remember it .....magic!

Green edge on boiler roof just about visible at the Doncaster Open day in 1982, so unlikely to have been touched in July 81.....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55727763@N02/35139047622/

50 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Which light are you refering to? It was remarked a few pages ago they considered doing the original flashing headlight (first few months in service) but that was not practical within tooling limits.

It would appear that the modern headlight (1997 onwards) is possible with the D9000 tooling.

The modern one I was thinking of should have made that clearer :good:

1 hour ago, Chilly said:

The modern one I was thinking of should have made that clearer :good:

Yep, one I am also waiting for in potential a second bach.....!

Two Tone Green with headlights, as working revenue services for Virgin Cross Country.....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, G-BOAF said:

Yep, one I am also waiting for in potential a second bach.....!

Two Tone Green with headlights, as working revenue services for Virgin Cross Country.....

Blue for me with delly dots on black background :this:

• RMweb Gold

I’ve recently ordered D9009 from Rails and I’d love to order 55001 as well but I’m wary of over stretching myself financially.  If Accurascale ever decide to do a second run, I’d like to see 55019 and 22 done complete with the high intensity headlights as Locomotive Services Limited are planning to register both of them onto the national network and then I’d have all three Network Rail registered Class 55’s.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

I’ve recently ordered D9009 from Rails and I’d love to order 55001 as well but I’m wary of over stretching myself financially.  If Accurascale ever decide to do a second run, I’d like to see 55019 and 22 done complete with the high intensity headlights as Locomotive Services Limited are planning to register both of them onto the national network and then I’d have all three Network Rail registered Class 55’s.

55016 and 55022 with LSL

• Thanks 1

55016 is not capable of mainline running, indeed there are doubts about it ever running again having given up at least one power unit to support the overhaul of 55022 by LSL.

55019 IS capable of mainline running and I suppose it may be hired by LSL once the damage it suffered from the OLE incident is fixed, but the DPS press release about it's restoration didn't mention LSL.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Bedlington North said:

55016 is not capable of mainline running, indeed there are doubts about it ever running again having given up at least one power unit to support the overhaul of 55022 by LSL.

55019 IS capable of mainline running and I suppose it may be hired by LSL once the damage it suffered from the OLE incident is fixed, but the DPS press release about it's restoration didn't mention LSL.

55009 is the one that suffered OLE damage - now under repair. There is a separate appeal for £250k to restores 55019 to mainline condition. Both under the auspices of the DPS