Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Nice idea Fran but for those of us relying on dead sections to stop a train  can they be disabled? Might cause chaos! Cheers

Stay Alive works only on DCC and does not in any way interfere with the DCC signalling and commands. Hope that helps!

Edited by McC
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

So we're only talking about those locos that are fitted with sound chips 

All Deltics include the StayAlive bank, which maintains flicker free lighting, and smooth motor control over dirty track or short breaks on DCC Ready models too. (When running on DCC)

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

"STAYIN' ALIVE!"

Did you know that every Accurascale locomotive will feature a powerbank of capacitors?

Great! But what does that mean?

Well, when you loco hits some dirty track, or a small dead spot on your layout, it will just keep on running for a number of seconds rather than cutting out! This is thanks to the power stored in its capacitors.

As you can see in this short video, the DCC sound will not be interrupted either! Each powerbank is nicely tucked away out of sight on each locomotive, ready to do its job when needed.

Testing is such great fun! :) 

Pre-order your Accurascale Class 55 Deltic, Class 92, Class 37 or Manor Class locomotives today: https://accurascale.co.uk/collections/locomotives 

Cheers!

Fran 

Still remember the first time I listen a sound & capacitor equipped loco off the track myself. I really wasn’t expecting the sound to continue!!!

• Funny 2

25 minutes ago, Bishdurham said:

Don't tell me, a free Bee Gees CD in the box of every Deltic?

Get with the times Daddio, it's Bee Gees download now.

Maybe you could programme a function file to play "Ah ah ah ah, stayin alive, stayin alive" whenever the power is from the capacitor.

• Funny 6

15 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Get with the times Daddio, it's Bee Gees download now.

Maybe you could programme a function file to play "Ah ah ah ah, stayin alive, stayin alive" whenever the power is from the capacitor.

It is a large box, they probably have an LP if not a 78!

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

18 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Better - program each chip to do that once on April 1st 2022 and never again.  Watch the Net go mad with people trying to replicate it.

• Funny 5

50 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

Better - program each chip to do that once on April 1st 2022 and never again.  Watch the Net go mad with people trying to replicate it.

Beginning to sound like an 'Easter egg' hidden in a computer program (e.g. Flight Simulator that was hidden in MS Excel 97).

Would be fund to have something hidden in a sound chip, but something useful and replicable using whatever free space is left on the chip after the sound project is designed, otherwise it is just a waste of memory that could have been used to increase the audio quality

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Beginning to sound like an 'Easter egg' hidden in a computer program (e.g. Flight Simulator that was hidden in MS Excel 97).

Would be fund to have something hidden in a sound chip, but something useful and replicable using whatever free space is left on the chip after the sound project is designed, otherwise it is just a waste of memory that could have been used to increase the audio quality

Perhaps a sample of Zontar shouting ‘Sing, me beauties’ when the engines are at high revs. Link included just in case you’re wondering what the heck I’m going on about! :D 

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

5 minutes ago, 97406 said:

Perhaps a sample of Zontar shouting ‘Sing, me beauties’ when the engines are at high revs. Link included just in case you’re wondering what the heck I’m going on about! :D 

problem with Zontar effects, is that the model the box would have to be marked 'not suitable for people under the age of 18 or 21' rather than 14 years... :-s

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

I'm actually surprised that 9002 and 9009 haven't sold out yet, given that they are the only two 'present day' (post 2010) deltics in the current offering.

Clearly most modern image modellers are happy with 9016...?!

What do you mean by modern image? That is now an almost pointless term. Some consider anything with BR diesels modern image, but that spans more than some classes of steam loco lasted.

D9016 hasn’t carried purple in years. I think there are a few people who model “as it is today” but that is almost an impossible mission as changes happen daily. Most people either model a specific period or run what they like. For me 1975-1985 with stock to allow a transition over that period.

Oh, and the odd rule 1.

Roy

• Like 3

13 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

If the effect is so jaw dropping, it may be best not to demonstrate it before a large audience of older folk or the floor may well become a Mass o' chew sets...

• Funny 4

5 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

What do you mean by modern image? That is now an almost pointless term. Some consider anything with BR diesels modern image, but that spans more than some classes of steam loco lasted.

Modern is IMO an ever moving landscape. I do think the definition (which some use) of modern simply being not steam is wrong given it covers about 55 years, which goes from end of BR steam back to pre grouping in steam terms I think?

• Agree 2

58 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Modern is IMO an ever moving landscape. I do think the definition (which some use) of modern simply being not steam is wrong given it covers about 55 years, which goes from end of BR steam back to pre grouping in steam terms I think?

Back in the late 80/90s, to me Modern Image meant anything current or within the last couple of years so then it was the Railfreight Grey to Sub-Sector triple grey period.

Today that description still fits for me (ie current or within the last couple of years).

I just accept the term “modern image” can mean after the end of BR steam but personally do not think of modern image to be all encompassing. The transition period, BR blue era, sectorisation etc are perhaps more useful and clearer perhaps but of course there is still an overlap.

Edited by norfolkchinaclay
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

What do you mean by modern image?

Anything you like really.  It's a perennially vague phrase comprising the movable adjective "modern" and the superfluous noun "image" which in this context tells you absolutely nothing.  It generally means some time post-1968, though I think it was actually coined several years earlier than that.  It really should be binned, but for some reason people can't stop using it.

Deltics are modern of course, as proved beyond a shadow of a doubt by this newsreel, though to be bang up to date it seems you should choose a green livery:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As I understand it, modern image means the modernisation plan era - to separate it from Steam. It does NOT cover more recent times - I guess you could call that the blue period, then sectorisation then privatisation?

I look at is as similar to historic vehicles - veteran covers up to WW1, vintage between the wars, then classic after that.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

If it helps, our Eras are split as 

• Pioneering
  • Pre-Grouping
  • Big Four
  • BR Steam
  • BR Green
  • BR Blue
  • BR Freight Maroon
  • BR Sectorisation
  • BR Sectorisation (Passenger)
  • Shadow Privatisation
  • Privatisation
  • Preservation
  • Network Rail
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

44 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

Anything you like really.  It's a perennially vague phrase comprising the movable adjective "modern" and the superfluous noun "image" which in this context tells you absolutely nothing.  It generally means some time post-1968, though I think it was actually coined several years earlier than that.  It really should be binned, but for some reason people can't stop using it.

Deltics are modern of course, as proved beyond a shadow of a doubt by this newsreel, though to be bang up to date it seems you should choose a green livery:

Could also depend if it’s privately owned running on the mainline or your layout is a heritage line! 

• RMweb Gold

I would never use the term "modern image", as it is so ill-defined.   Mr Skinner sir, I vote we consign it to Room 101

I'm with Roy in an earlier post, the only period that matters is 1975 - 1985 :devil:

• Agree 2