Heljan announce L&B 'Lyn' 2-4-2T in 009

Andy Y

Lynton & Barnstaple Railway Baldwin 2-4-2T Lyn

clip_image001.jpg

Image courtesy of Brian Daniels

Catering for the growing interest in British narrow-gauge modelling, our second British OO9 locomotive will allow modellers to complete their Lynton & Barnstaple Railway locomotive fleet. Lyn was built by Baldwin in 1898 for the L&BR and shipped to Devon in kit form for assembly at Pilton Works. At the time, the railway needed additional motive power but Manning, Wardle was unable to supply a similar machine to those already in service (and available in December/January OO9 from Heljan!). A superb full-size replica of Lyn was recently completed for the restored Lynton & Barnstaple Railway in North Devon.

Our new model will depict Lyn in L&BR dark olive green and Southern Railway Maunsell green with authentic detail variations according to period and livery. For the benefit of the many OO9 modellers with ‘freelance’ railways we also plan to offer a version in undecorated works black.

Research and development is underway and more details about price, features and specification will be announced later.

Proposed Liveries

• 9980: Works black unnumbered

• 9981: L&BR dark olive green Lyn (original chimney)

• 9982: L&BR dark green E762 Lyn (with stovepipe chimney and SR numberplate)

• 9983: Southern Maunsell green E762 Lyn (pre-1932)

• 9984: Southern Maunsell green E762 Lyn (post-1932)

• Expected Release in 2020

• Like 11

A logical choice, given that other locomotives, rolling stock and buildings for the L&B are available. It's not appropriate to me (although I do like the prototype), but I can definitely see it selling well. And with a freelance livery, it could even appeal to modellers of American NG.

Hold up, with 100% of the locomotives available, plus rolling stock, does this mean the L&BR is the best-represented pre-Grouping company in ready-to-run?

Edited by HonestTom
  • Like 1

A logical choice, given that other locomotives, rolling stock and buildings for the L&B are available. It's not appropriate to me (although I do like the prototype), but I can definitely see it selling well. And with a freelance livery, it could even appeal to modellers of American NG.

Hold up, with 100% of the locomotives available, plus rolling stock, does this mean the L&BR is the best-represented pre-Grouping company in ready-to-run?

I'd lay odds that it is the only railway company of any stripe whose ENTIRE locomotive roster is represented in RTR :)

• RMweb Premium

Talyllyn Railway already done by Bachmann, in Thomas the tank engine guise. 

I think you mean Skarloey Railway, unless you are going to modify them, in which case they aren't quite RTR any more. In theory Bachmann could do it, but there are all sorts of reasons why it won't happen.

It looks like the L&B will win the RTR race considering all the rolling stock.

Which version of Lyn would be correct/best to purchase if modelling the new build loco, on the present day preserved Lynton and Barnstaple Railway?

I believe that the best one currently be the post 1932 E762 version. That’s the livery that the new build has duplicated. That being said, the new build will probably wear all of the liveries of its ancestor at some point, so all of these engines will most likely appear in one form or another on the real thing :)

• RMweb Gold

Did the livery change in 32 though? She was fitted with steam heat with a large pipe down the left side but livery wise she looks the same in the photos I have. The rebuild doesn’t have the large pipe so I suspect the pre 32 version may be more appropriate, until they release more details of the spec it’s hard to be sure.

L&B - Brown, Prideaux & Radcliffe

p80 in the current 5th edition of the book.

Edited by PaulRhB

I believe that the primary change was that a different shade of green that was used, although there may well have been other differences.

I do know that the project for the rebuild was specifically looking to replicate the post 1932 livery though, which is why I believe that it would be the best way to replicate the livery on the current 762

Without my copy of Measured and Drawn infront of me right now.

All I know for definite 1932 was when the steam heat was fitted. And as far as I know the rebuilt Lyn doesn't have it fitted as the carriages are built to pre SR era condition so the pre 1932 version would be the best guess on current information from Heljan