Heljan announce L&B 'Lyn' 2-4-2T in 009

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

I believe that the primary change was that a different shade of green that was used, although there may well have been other differences.

I do know that the project for the rebuild was specifically looking to replicate the post 1932 livery though, which is why I believe that it would be the best way to replicate the livery on the current 762

Is there a written reference for the livery change? I can't find one so far and it's impossible to tell from B&W photos as the light and photo quality cause more variation than any difference of shade. I know she retained the E prefix throughout the SR period but there's no obvious detail difference apart from the pipe and coal rails 29 to 35. The paint doesn't look scrappy in 31 so any change would be purely 'branding'?

I'm still leaning towards the pre 32 version to match the rebuild as it won't include the big pipe.

I've heard the livery change story before from other sources, but never found a reference for, it so I'm intrigued but suspect it's a mix up with the early SR pre 29 where she was still in L&B green  :)

Edited by PaulRhB

• 5 months later...

Lyn was repainted in its final livery at Eastleigh in December 1928. It's unlikely the loco would need repainting prior to early 1935 when the line closure was announced, especially as it was less used than the Manning Wardles and several late photos are of the loco hauled out of Pilton shed dead, for photographs.

There is no evidence of Lyn in black on the L&B; the Baldwins' records explicitly state that the disassembled loco would be painted green. As this was appreciably darker than the standard Manning Wardle light green of the other locos on delivery, it would be easy in retrospect to believe the loco was black.

The L&B Trust had a hand-coloured lantern slide of Lyn arriving at Barnstaple Town with a two coach train, circa 1920. These lantern slides were well-researched before tinting, yet it has a dark green Lyn hauling chocolate and cream coaches. It had been suggested that was in confusion with the nearby GWR, however, God's Wonderful Railway had switched to Crimson Lake in 1912, not reverting to chocolate and cream until 1922.  And Crimson & Cream can weather to a muddy brown and yellowy cream...

The current L&B Lyn is not painted in the correct livery. It is not standard Maunsell Olive green, rather a compromise 'to the shade nearest available in the spray paint catalogue'. The lettering is also incorrect, as it should be gilt, and not yellow.

For a far better authority than me on Lyn's liveries I would suggest purchasing (£17.60) Phoenix Precision Paints' 19001 'Lynton & Barnstaple Lyn Livery Data Sheets.'

Interestingly, the early Heljan Manning Wardles were in a livery more akin to Malachite Green with Sunshine Lettering (i.e post War). If only the line had lasted that long!

Edited by Chuffed 1
improve explanation & got my price wrong!

On 24/05/2019 at 13:56, Chuffed 1 said:

Interestingly, the early Heljan Manning Wardles were in a livery more akin to Malachite Green with Sunshine Lettering (i.e post War). If only the line had lasted that long!

Mine certainly isn't. (CJL)

On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 15:40, dibber25 said:

Mine certainly isn't. (CJL)

Great Chris, but some of the early Manning Wardles undoubtedly were. Certainly the first examples at one of the exhibitions (don't ask me which one) were, though subsequently they have been produced in the correct shade.

To back up this assertion I call the cover of the April 2017 Railway Modeller. Compared to the M7 behind it and the Peco Composite coupled to it, the colour can only be described as Malachite with Sunshine (not gilt) lettering.

In many cases shades can be in the eye of the beholder, or the light, or the printing, but not in this one.

Edited by Chuffed 1
Spelling

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't describe that as malachite green, but the lighting does make it look lighter than it actually is. See this post for a comparison of the different shades of Maunsell green in model form.

• 4 weeks later...
On 29/05/2019 at 17:05, Chuffed 1 said:

Great Chris, but some of the early Manning Wardles undoubtedly were. Certainly the first examples at one of the exhibitions (don't ask me which one) were, though subsequently they have been produced in the correct shade.

To back up this assertion I call the cover of the April 2017 Railway Modeller. Compared to the M7 behind it and the Peco Composite coupled to it, the colour can only be described as Malachite with Sunshine (not gilt) lettering.

In many cases shades can be in the eye of the beholder, or the light, or the printing, but not in this one.

Sunshine lettering was a font, not a colour. (CJL)

• 1 month later...

CADs now in public domain

gVgJ3So.jpg

liveries also slightly different and showing on Hattons as:

9980 - Works Black

9981 - L&B Green pre-1906

9982 - L&B Green post-1906

9983 - SR ex L&B Green

9984 - SR Green Pre 1932

9985 - SR Green Post 1932

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hmmmm those cads look great I must say but.......and as  a draffy I hate to say this but the cut out to allow the front bogie to swing looks awful ! I will be getting one but that really needs some looking at and some attention. The old backwoods lyn kit didnt suffer that, and the langley kit although it had its flaws also looked better at the front end. I hope the front end buffer beam is detachable as a bit of creative thinking, a bit of modelling on the pc and the help of shapeways should yield a better result. I guess the manning wardle experience with 12" rad turnouts has yielded this compromise but personally I'd go for a little dimensional licence to give a better looking front end.

But apart from that it looks very promising. Looking forward to seeing pre prod examples.

Clive

Edited by Nearlymen
Spelling !

• 2 months later...

The latest issue of narrow gauge news magazine, has some new cad pics in which it appears the front end has now been modified to look more like the prototype, looks much better. Looks like they slightly widened the front running plate above the front truck where it meets the cylinders. This allows the full depth side skirts without the damn awful side cut outs ! It's slightly over scale but looks so much better ! I like it !

• Like 1

On 27/10/2019 at 08:33, Nearlymen said:

The latest issue of narrow gauge news magazine, has some new cad pics in which it appears the front end has now been modified to look more like the prototype, looks much better. Looks like they slightly widened the front running plate above the front truck where it meets the cylinders. This allows the full depth side skirts without the damn awful side cut outs ! It's slightly over scale but looks so much better ! I like it !

Thanks. We changed the CAD in response to some detailed feedback from customers, and I agree, it does look better. We should all be able to judge for ourselves shortly as the first tooled and assembled sample is on its way from China. We should (all being well), have it on the Heljan stand at Warley next month. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, 61661 said:

Thanks. We changed the CAD in response to some detailed feedback from customers, and I agree, it does look better. We should all be able to judge for ourselves shortly as the first tooled and assembled sample is on its way from China. We should (all being well), have it on the Heljan stand at Warley next month. 

Good to hear that. As you may see from my Avatar, looking forward to this one particularly :-).

If anybody makes sound for it when it arrives, they will have to get the injectors just right as they are so loud. I make a point of shutting them off as we roll into the station so as not to spoil peoples video!

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A look at some of the latest models and prototypes from Heljan, filmed on their Roadshow Stand at the Warley National Model Railway Exhibition 2019. 
Highlights included the all new British Rail Class 31's in 0 Gauge, British Rail Class 33's in 00, and the first EP the eagerly anticipated L&B Baldwin 2-4-2T "Lyn" in 009 Scale, as well as many other exciting developments cross the range.
Hope you enjoy!

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 03/02/2020 at 14:03, Paul.Uni said:

According to Hattons, Heljan have released a RRP for the models of Lyn. I'm not sure if £203.96 is the RRP and Hattons are selling it at full price or if £203.96 is the RRP less the Hattons discount.

Looks like the discounted price. Rails have the rrp quoted as £239.95. 

Roy

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I’m STILL waiting, despite lots of chat on the internet about the models being ‘here’! I want to complete my L&BR loco collection, and then I want Bachmann to actually produce their lovely little Alice class 0-4-0 locos which were used up in the slate quarries. Very nice, and then there’s Peco’s ‘Prince’ and double Fairlie to get . . .

Groan, the list just gets ever bigger!

Bill

• Agree 1