Heljan announce L&B 'Lyn' 2-4-2T in 009

Andy Y

Either way, since they knew at Christmas (from reading that release) they weren't going to be 'available now', they've had time to correct their ads, but have chosen instead to just keep them running even though the models aren't even finished yet, let alone in their way.

An own goal.

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, Helmdon said:

I see the Railway Modeller this month is back to 'available now'

I wait with bated breath

Apologies for this. Unfortunately advert copy for Railway Modeller has to be submitted two months before the mag is published, and a lot can happen in that time. Perhaps naively given the current circumstances, when the copy went in we expected Lyn to have arrived by now. We are assured that the production models are now on their way, but it will be around 6-8 weeks before they land in the UK.  

• Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Given it takes almost two months to ship (and then say a couple of weeks to actually distribute to the shops) confirmation that they're actually on a ship that has set sail would seem to be a reasonable trigger for changing the advert to 'available now'.

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

The current Lyn is not the same as the January 1929 livery the original Lyn carried to scrapping, as mentioned earlier.

There was no ‘post-1932’ livery on the original. It was repainted in standard Southern 1929 livery as per the aforementioned Precision Paints data.

On 03/12/2018 at 09:23, Edge said:

I believe that the primary change was that a different shade of green that was used, although there may well have been other differences.

I do know that the project for the rebuild was specifically looking to replicate the post 1932 livery though, which is why I believe that it would be the best way to replicate the livery on the current 762

There's very few if any visible differences between the original and the replica/new Lyn. 

I think the pre 1932 version is the best as it won't have steam heat pipework fitted so matches how Lyn currently is. 

Of course a special limited edition for the L&B might come along at some point. 

• RMweb Premium

96EFED75-5F83-412C-BA5C-F2DBA4EF4CD3.jpeg.c33be2867a1936d0adcf76506d417e2e.jpeg

Lyn has arrived from Hattons!

First impressions are good, it ran smoothly out of the box. Couplings were fitted, the cow-catchers were in the accessory bag. The front pipe is slightly fouling the front coupling - this will need to be attended to. Fit and finish is good at first sight.

The headlamp works - and is very bright! More later!

Edited by MPR
  • Like 7

I'd love to see a video of the slow speed running qualities if possible. I was never 100 per cent happy with the MWs despite much tinkering but these are simpler locos to reproduce so here's hoping...

Sigh ! Hattons wont send me the missing cowcatcher, I have to return the whole loco for a replacement ! Well I had a Lyn in my hands for 24 hours ! By this time next week might have a replacement in my hands !

• Friendly/supportive 3

Mine arrived from Hattons first thing this morning.

First impressions very good, running quality is much better than the Manning Wardles.
It managed to make it all the way around the layout smoothly and without derailing, despite my somewhat questionable tracklaying, and had no problem hauling two coaches up the 1in 25 gradient on a 12inch curve.

IMG_20210717_142206.jpg.c56e467feadfd268e0a84334981ec3d0.jpgIMG_20210717_142353.jpg.0589034d4a61f9ddfadbbc860ba569a1.jpg

• Like 2

Just ordered mine - was going to wait for the price to drop a bit as per the manning waddle locos but there doesn’t seem to be much stock kicking about and I didn’t want to lose it. 

so, £204 spent. Eep 

All well that ends well ! Replacement loco arrived from hattons, this time with 2 cowcatchers and I got them to pre test run it for me for good measure ( didn't want another mishap), once again I have to say lovely little loco !