Heljan announce O gauge Clayton

Andy Y

NEW: BR/Clayton Class 17 Bo-Bo diesel O GAUGE

Heljan O Gauge Class 17 crop.jpg

The Heljan range of BR diesels in O gauge continues to expand with the addition of the Class 17 centre-cab Type 1. Despite their attractive design, intended to give crews better all-round visibility than existing Type 1 diesels, the ‘Claytons’ proved to be an expensive and short-lived failure. However, their short career has made them something of a ‘cult classic’ among diesel enthusiasts and interest remains strong with modellers of the steam/diesel transition era.

Building on the success of our OO gauge ‘Clayton’, this new locomotive will feature fine detail throughout, twin motor bogies, LED lighting functions, etched grilles, sprung buffers and has been designed for easy DCC and sound installation, plus provision for an ESU smoke unit.

Design work was completed earlier this year and the first engineering prototype samples of the O gauge Class 17 are expected to arrive in the UK early in 2019. Models will be released in all the major livery variations and will include a weathered edition.

Proposed Liveries

• 1750: BR green unnumbered (small yellow panel)

• 1751: BR green unnumbered (full yellow end)

• 1752: BR Rail blue unnumbered (full yellow end)

• 1753: BR green D8607 (small yellow panel) WEATHERED

• Expected Release in late-2019.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

NEW: BR/Clayton Class 17 Bo-Bo diesel O GAUGE

attachicon.gifHeljan O Gauge Class 17 crop.jpg

The Heljan range of BR diesels in O gauge continues to expand with the addition of the Class 17 centre-cab Type 1. Despite their attractive design, intended to give crews better all-round visibility than existing Type 1 diesels, the ‘Claytons’ proved to be an expensive and short-lived failure. However, their short career has made them something of a ‘cult classic’ among diesel enthusiasts and interest remains strong with modellers of the steam/diesel transition era.

Building on the success of our OO gauge ‘Clayton’, this new locomotive will feature fine detail throughout, twin motor bogies, LED lighting functions, etched grilles, sprung buffers and has been designed for easy DCC and sound installation, plus provision for an ESU smoke unit.

Design work was completed earlier this year and the first engineering prototype samples of the O gauge Class 17 are expected to arrive in the UK early in 2019. Models will be released in all the major livery variations and will include a weathered edition.

Proposed Liveries

• 1750: BR green unnumbered (small yellow panel)

• 1751: BR green unnumbered (full yellow end)

• 1752: BR Rail blue unnumbered (full yellow end)

• 1753: BR green D8607 (small yellow panel) WEATHERED

• Expected Release in late-2019.

Excellent news that Heljan are adding an O gauge class 17 to an already impressive range of models for us diesel guys however, previous (mistakes) makes me worry as to just how accurate it will be.

Many of their models have incorrect proportions or similar as reported on RM web regularly. My gripe is their terrible headcodes which are the wrong font...far too fat and not tall enough. I presume when Heljan are planning a new model they gather plans to work from so why do they get the headcodes so wrong. Doesn’t someone check them against photos of the prototype and adjust accordingly. The headcodes for the 25/3 are awful but they are considerably different from their 25/1 which is also wrong. Sadly there’s no consistency which is worrying! I can be more specific regarding this if Heljan care to contact me. I highlighted that the headcodes were wrong when shown the initial sample of the 25/3 but no action was taken to correct them. Given this new class 17 model won’t appear for a year they have plenty time to get the headcode spot on this time...but will they?

I will also briefly mention the LED lights on the diesels. Apart from the likes of the class 60, all the older locos used “light bulbs” behind the headcodes which need to be reproduced on models using “warm white” LED’s as other types usually look too white or even bluey in some cases. Sadly this is evident in many Heljan models (and other manufacturers as well). There should also be a LED behind each headcode digit not one LED for 2 digits as this doesn’t light the panel up correctly. Surely this isn’t too difficult to achieve? I know there are sometimes compromises to be made in creating these models but I don’t think any of the above errors would be difficult to correct and would certainly enhance the look of the model.

Don't like being critical as without Heljan my layout would be pretty empty but, with a little more attention to detail, they could be brilliant models.

I think my text got added to the original post not as a reply so here it is again............

Excellent news that Heljan are adding an O gauge class 17 to an already impressive range of models for us diesel guys however, previous (mistakes) makes me worry as to just how accurate it will be.

Many of their models have incorrect proportions or similar as reported on RM web regularly. My gripe is their terrible headcodes which are the wrong font...far too fat and not tall enough. I presume when Heljan are planning a new model they gather plans to work from so why do they get the headcodes so wrong. Doesn’t someone check them against photos of the prototype and adjust accordingly. The headcodes for the 25/3 are awful but they are considerably different from their 25/1 which is also wrong. Sadly there’s no consistency which is worrying! I can be more specific regarding this if Heljan care to contact me. I highlighted that the headcodes were wrong when shown the initial sample of the 25/3 but no action was taken to correct them. Given this new class 17 model won’t appear for a year they have plenty time to get the headcode spot on this time...but will they?

I will also briefly mention the LED lights on the diesels. Apart from the likes of the class 60, all the older locos used “light bulbs” behind the headcodes which need to be reproduced using “warm white” LED’s as other types usually look too white or even bluey in some cases. Sadly this is evident in many Heljan models (and other manufacturers as well). There should also be a LED behind each headcode digit not one LED for 2 digits as this doesn’t light the panel up correctly. Surely this isn’t too difficult to achieve? I know there are sometimes compromises to be made in creating these models but I don’t think any of the above errors would be difficult to correct and would certainly enhance the look of the model.

Don't like to be critical as without Heljan my layout would be pretty empty but, with a little more attention to detail, they could be brilliant models.

Hopefully they'll get the underframe right compared to the 4mm version, i.e. slight slope inwards rather than vertical.  

I know, I know - but even with this irritant, they are far better than the alternatives available to me, for what is an essential component of my fleet.

Only yesterday evening on the commute, was I actually thinking of a repeatable, workable hack that I can do to fix mine without going mental.

Hi.  Wasn't decrying the 4mm model, as you say the only option for 4mm RTR.  As someone who built and got running an MTK one (Mehanotechnika (sp?) underframe) I've always had a thing for these locos!  Presumably a Judith Edge kit built one would have an overall edge, but I'm not aware of ever having seen a completed one so hard to say.  Let us all know if you come up with a solution to the specific discussed!

Back on topic, my hope was that the 7mm one would benefit from feedback on the 4mm one.  That didn't seem to be the case with the class 26 (bogie springs not set back enough on the 4mm one and I don't think this changed on the 7mm one).  Perhaps Ben Jones will bring greater efforts on this sort of thing.

Never know, might be enough to get me started in 7mm scale!

I know, I know - but even with this irritant, they are far better than the alternatives available to me, for what is an essential component of my fleet.

Only yesterday evening on the commute, was I actually thinking of a repeatable, workable hack that I can do to fix mine without going mental.

Not sure how easy it is, but with regard to headcodes have you contacted Heljan direct? 

Seems a bit optimistic for you to wait on them reading your concerns here and then getting in touch with you.  Other manufacturers seem willing to do this, but each operates in its own way.  Given your own past experience you approaching Heljan may be the better approach here. 

I think my text got added to the original post not as a reply so here it is again............

I will also briefly mention the LED lights on the diesels. Apart from the likes of the class 60, all the older locos used “light bulbs” behind the headcodes which need to be reproduced using “warm white” LED’s as other types usually look too white or even bluey in some cases. Sadly this is evident in many Heljan models (and other manufacturers as well). There should also be a LED behind each headcode digit not one LED for 2 digits as this doesn’t light the panel up correctly. Surely this isn’t too difficult to achieve? I know there are sometimes compromises to be made in creating these models but I don’t think any of the above errors would be difficult to correct and would certainly enhance the look of the model.

Don't like to be critical as without Heljan my layout would be pretty empty but, with a little more attention to detail, they could be brilliant models.

Not sure how easy it is, but with regard to headcodes have you contacted Heljan direct? 

Seems a bit optimistic for you to wait on them reading your concerns here and then getting in touch with you.  Other manufacturers seem willing to do this, but each operates in its own way.  Given your own past experience you approaching Heljan may be the better approach here. 

good point however, last time I tried contacting them directly on their email address I never got a reply. Put's you off somewhat. Any others experienced this?

Might be worth another try but I won't hold my breath

... Presumably a Judith Edge kit built one would have an overall edge, but I'm not aware of ever having seen a completed one so hard to say.  ...

I did ask Michael Edge a few years ago if he had any plans to produce a 7mm Clayton alongside the 4mm, but he thought the JLTRT kit would have already taken all the market. Pity. Though maybe after the Heljan announcement he's anyway glad he didn't produce one.

Paul

Appreciate the difficulties and frustrations, at least you've tried previously. 

Perhaps worth contacting Howes who I think are now the UK agents?  The Heljan website seems to have dropped the previously available english language option.  From a thread on here earlier in the year Ben Jones now seems to be the person to try and connect with? 

If you have relevant info about headcode fonts, sizes etc. it seems odd they wouldn't want to take advantage of it.  Even if it isn't something they've not had many complaints or comments about from purchasers a desire for accuracy would seem desirable in a model manufacturer!

good point however, last time I tried contacting them directly on their email address I never got a reply. Put's you off somewhat. Any others experienced this?

As mentioned, Heljan have a new person in charge of their UK stuff and he does read RMweb and respond (he has responded in the class 86 thread).

So I think it is safe to assume the concerns will at least be heard, and hopefully taken care of unlike in the past.

Thanks for info that there has been contact in the class 86 thread. However, having a mechanism for communicating directly with the company or their agents in the UK would still seem a logical thing, rather than hoping that a post on a forum will be read! e.g. I see that Accurascale provide an email address. Perhaps necessary as they sell direct, but also provides a way of communicating directly.

As mentioned, Heljan have a new person in charge of their UK stuff and he does read RMweb and respond (he has responded in the class 86 thread).

So I think it is safe to assume the concerns will at least be heard, and hopefully taken care of unlike in the past.

Thanks for info that there has been contact in the class 86 thread. However, having a mechanism for communicating directly with the company or their agents in the UK would still seem a logical thing, rather than hoping that a post on a forum will be read! e.g. I see that Accurascale provide an email address. Perhaps necessary as they sell direct, but also provides a way of communicating directly.

Thanks for the suggestions. On Heljan's website they quote Heljan@Heljan.dk for contact so I'll try it again

It would be useful if anyone had Ben Jones's contact details?

It was mentioned above (post #21) Ben Jones had posted in a class 86 thread.  Turns out after reading class 86 threads it was the thread for the retooled 86.  Anyway, his ID on here is at: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/user/22012-61661/

Howes Models carry Heljan spares and are, I think, the UK agents.  However the email links on their website seem only to be generic for the "shop".  Their website for Heljan is: https://howesmodels.co.uk/product-category/model-railway/Heljan-uk/ You'll find the email address there.

You'll also find him on Linkedin.

Hope one of these channels enables you to make contact!

Thanks for the suggestions. On Heljan's website they quote Heljan@Heljan.dk for contact so I'll try it again

It would be useful if anyone had Ben Jones's contact details?

It was mentioned above (post #21) Ben Jones had posted in a class 86 thread.  Turns out after reading class 86 threads it was the thread for the retooled 86.  Anyway, his ID on here is at: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/user/22012-61661/

Howes Models carry Heljan spares and are, I think, the UK agents.  However the email links on their website seem only to be generic for the "shop".  Their website for Heljan is: https://howesmodels.co.uk/product-category/model-railway/Heljan-uk/ You'll find the email address there.

You'll also find him on Linkedin.

Hope one of these channels enables you to make contact!

success....Ben emailed me and we have looked at various problems with Heljan particularly the headcodes. He acknowledges the situation and that's a good start and he seems keen to improve things and sort these unnecessary errors. Sounds positive and I look forward to the class 17 and a score of 10/10.