Heljan announce O gauge Clayton

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, pwr said:

me too. According to DPD it will be delivered tomorrow but last time I had one of those advices from Hattons it was delivered the day after. DPD are useless

Strange how regional their performance is. Round my way they are my courier of choice as they are fantastic.

Roy

• Agree 3

16 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Strange how regional their performance is. Round my way they are my courier of choice as they are fantastic.

Roy

Well I have had  a message to say it will be delivered between 11.59 and 12.59 today so photos on the Black Notley Thread (7mm modelling) will be posted later today!

Paul R

22 hours ago, brossard said:

I'm curious and interested in how easy it is to install sound in these.  Word is that the circuit board was supposed to be redesigned.  I am not impressed with all the faffing about needed to install sound in the Cl 20.

John

Hi John,

The new O gauge Clayton and the Class 20 have nothing in common. From the outset the Clayton has been designed with a plug-and-play DCC interface designed to take the ESU LokSound L (not the XL) plug-in decoder. There's space in the bonnets for a speaker and a smoke unit if required. Unlike the 20, the Clayton has two self contained motor bogies, which allow the space inside the bonnets to be used for other features. 

The 20 was designed a long time ago when DCC and sound were not as prevalent as they are now. All new Heljan O gauge models will have plug-and-play decoder interfaces from now on, starting with the 17 and including the 26, 27 and 73 announced last autumn and anything we announce from now on (the new 47 and 56 predate this change, so have the older style chassis with screw terminals on the PCB). 

Hope this helps

Ben

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

Mine have arrived. Overall verdict at first look: delightful.

There's a very pleasing amount of detail, including on the bogies, for an RTR, and the sheer heft of the model is satisfyingly realistic. The cab interior has a nice low floor and some good-looking fittings, such as fine handbrake wheel.

Downsides, so far? The weathered version is not great: more like it's been sandblasted all over with a very fine ginger powder, not the sort of oily sheen with strange black stains I would have expected. But factory weathering is almost always poor, and I think this is no exception. The pristine models have a lovely finish.

Like all good O gauge, these locos have a real presence. But in addition while they're big enough to take advantage of the scale, they're small enough to have a bit more room to manoeuvre on typical modest-sized O gauge layouts -- where they might therefore look less out of place than a massive mainline loco. After a very quick play, they look very well-matched with Darstaed Mk1 Suburbans.

I've been looking forward to these for a long time. So far I'm very pleased.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, delticfan said:

Good choice of livery, I’m surprised there are few left for sale mustn’t have been many in the first place.

I think people underestimate the popularity of Claytons: just think over the years how many re-runs Heljan has done of their 00 version.

I was expecting this to be a good seller, though I confess I’m also surprised at how rapidly it appears to have sold.

Paul

10 hours ago, Fenman said:

I think people underestimate the popularity of Claytons: just think over the years how many re-runs Heljan has done of their 00 version.

I was expecting this to be a good seller, though I confess I’m also surprised at how rapidly it appears to have sold.

Paul

To be honest it’s as if they didn’t make as many of a normal run as they usually do but all credit to Heljan it’s a great model.

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, delticfan said:

To be honest it’s as if they didn’t make as many of a normal run as they usually do but all credit to Heljan it’s a great model.

I must be missing something but why do we think they are selling out? Not sure a lot of places have even received them yet?

Edited by Hal Nail

18 hours ago, delticfan said:

Even we’ve been surprised by how quickly these have sold. We knew it would be popular because the OO model always sell well, and it’s an ideal loco for any size of O layout, but it’s a pleasant surprise nevertheless. Just to clarify, just because a model is sold out at the warehouse doesn’t mean it is not available from our retailers. All versions should still be on sale in the UK if you shop around. 
And finally, it was a normal production run for a new O loco, not reduced in any way. As this and other recent runs of O models have sold very quickly I guess it’s an indication of the increasing popularity of modelling in this scale. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, 61661 said:

And finally, it was a normal production run for a new O loco, not reduced in any way. As this and other recent runs of O models have sold very quickly I guess it’s an indication of the increasing popularity of modelling in this scale. 

I think that Heljan and Dapol have gone a long way towards creating that increase by making O gauge ready to run and more affordable. 

Yes a few others dipped their toes in the water, but more than just an odd shunter was needed. 

It is good that sales are rewarding that decision. 

Roy

• Agree 1

On 25/02/2021 at 21:44, 61661 said:

Even we’ve been surprised by how quickly these have sold. We knew it would be popular because the OO model always sell well, and it’s an ideal loco for any size of O layout, but it’s a pleasant surprise nevertheless. Just to clarify, just because a model is sold out at the warehouse doesn’t mean it is not available from our retailers. All versions should still be on sale in the UK if you shop around. 

it’s good to know BoBo locos sell well in O gauge....so now can I have 33/2’s? Lol 

• Like 1

On 27/02/2021 at 01:14, 47606odin said:

it’s good to know BoBo locos sell well in O gauge....so now can I have 33/2’s? Lol 

It's on our 'long list', but we haven't had too many requests for it so far. 

• Like 3

Just now, delticfan said:

Yes yes and yes I second that also KESTREL in big capitals to get Ben’s attention.........

Hold on while were at it seeing as the Deltics sell well why not a definitive correct body shape and grilles production Deltic.

I have my Clayton, green SYE,  I think I will order another in blue to make  a contrasting pair.

A class 14 would be nice!  i prefer mixed traffic/freight  diesels,  a Deltic looks lost on a 3 coach train, and ridiculous  when hooked to wagons, hence my preference for wagons stock  and typically BoBo locos to haul and shunt them.   Take that as a hint Heljan!, more shunters, and type 1 / 2 / 3 locos please!

Mine arrived at the weekend and I have now numbered it - HMRS Pressfix

P1010670.JPG.c030c55de20dc5c04f65f23ed4505eb7.JPG

weathering to follow shortly and a first for me, a driver, from the wonderful Modelu range

P1010671.JPG.70d17d9702fbb7d235bfa5ea836530fe.JPG

although he has had drastic surgery on his legs to get him into a comfortable sitting position, hope the real BD didn't suffer in the same way.

regards

Mike

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...