Heljan announce re-tooled Class 86 in OO

Andy Y

4 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Those grills look like a huge improvement on the previous version.

Agreed; what was the issue with the leading edge of the cab roof, and does that look like it's been addressed....?

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

Agreed; what was the issue with the leading edge of the cab roof, and does that look like it's been addressed....?

The profile was wrong and IIRC the gap between the roof lip and the windows was far too big. This new sample shows that it has been addressed and it looks far better, however an expert can give better feedback, I still feel that the middle window is too thin, could be the angle also.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

22 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

The profile was wrong and IIRC the gap between the roof lip and the windows was far too big. This new sample shows that it has been addressed and it looks far better, however an expert can give better feedback, I still feel that the middle window is too thin, could be the angle also.

Ok I posted this info on another thread, but I'll post it again here, so it can be checked if req.

Outer windscreens are 660mm wide, centre screen is 510mm wide and the pillars are 115mm wide. Screen radii are 2". All measurements taken internally,and I also need to add that the outer screens are not square, they taper towards the cab sides.

I work on these old ladies most days and the revised version looks pretty much spot on, as mentioned above the grilles are a vast improvement and look 'right'.

My only slight reservation, is that the quarterlights still appear to be too wide although I'm happy to wield a tape measure to confirm, if anyone wants me to.

Well done, Heljan! Why oh why didn't you do it correctly in the first place but anyway, I'll be ordering a few of these.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, E3109 said:

Well done, Heljan! Why oh why didn't you do it correctly in the first place

It’s almost as if Heljan has a maximum number of revisions, and cost associated with it, to get a model “right” then that’s it. The Hymek was right from the off, whereas the previous 86, Western, new 33 to name three all had issues that were pointed out in time but nothing was done to correct the outstanding errors. But it’s good this 86 looks like it could be a winner.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Maybe its just an EP but I think that the pantograph is still a bit off though.

the insulators look to be riding a bit too high, the pantograph frame in reality sits within the insulators, with a thin strip sitting ontop of the insulators,  its not lumped on top of them, to keep the whole thing in gauge. The frames of the pantograph sit closely in line with the cab roof, with pan head above.

similarly the big pantograph bar and little one are wrong way around, the thin bar is above the thick one.

Finally the pan head itself looks a bit oversized.

see here..

Class 86/0 86007 - Longsight Depot

and an overhead view here

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_86#/media/File%3A86608_at_Crewe_Salop_Goods_Junction.jpg

I assume the headcode glass would sit flush with the headcode box, not on top of it ?

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

There is a bit of a rim around the former alphanumeric headcode boxes right through to the 0O00 era and in a handful of cases where 86s received dominos (a handful). A quick search on Flickr will confirm this. 

The sealed beam headcode boxes appear to be newly-fabricated steelwork from that era i.e. Late 1970s-early 1980s.

I know what you mean about the pan heads, but it may well be a compromise for 3rd radius curves (and less) to mitigate dewirements in relation to non-prototypical track work/PW.

Edited by E3109

Everything looks really good and I'll say I be ordering some. Please, please, please Heljan, can you also model the more later versions during the 80s. I think you would have many more additional customers given the recent splurge of great 80s offerings having been recently released. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, Markwj said:

Have Heljan released details of Livery and identities yet, I am no expert but it looks good to me.

mark

8650   BR blue with lion & wheel emblem ‘as built’

8651   BR blue with lion & wheel emblem (small yellow panel)

8652   BR blue with lion & wheel emblem (full yellow end)

8653   BR Rail blue with white cab roof (full yellow end)

8654   BR Rail blue (full yellow end)

8655   BR Rail blue (full yellow end)

8656   BR Rail blue (full yellow end) WEATHERED

All these are Class 86/0s, or AL6s as they were when first released. Further variants will follow in due course

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

the pan definitely looks like its on stilts to my eye.   id like to see a side by side photo comparison to be sure though.    the actual pan though is a good improvement over the old one.

maybe looking at a Bachmann Class 85 pan base would give a better idea what it should look like.    the insulators look overly tall.

I was lucky enough to get a good look at both sides out of the cabinet and whilst this version is too early for me eventually it will evolve and I’ll get a decent pair of Freightliner 86’s and maybe even a Les Ross which would be ideal. The body side grills look great a massive improvement on the old model and the cab front shape of the roof is also changed. The Pan is missing detail on this early sample but already looks so much better and with the excellent chassis and underframe details I think

this is going to be a cracking model.

cheers

Mark

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Sorry but that Pantograph is awfull. Reminds me of the Pre production Hornby APT. The rest of it looks  a massive improvement over the earlier version, Well done Heljan

Cheers  Trailrage 

post-16824-0-69040300-1403642667.jpg

Edited by TRAILRAGE
Image from Google images
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, TRAILRAGE said:

Sorry but that Pantograph is awfull. Reminds me of the Pre production Hornby APT. The rest of it looks  a massive improvement over the earlier version, Well done Heljan

Cheers  Trailrage 

post-16824-0-69040300-1403642667.jpg

For a second I thought Heljan were announcing an APT model.

That would have caused a rumpus...

Cheers

Darius

• Funny 2

The steps on the bogies also look incorrect - I think the top step is almost twice the width of the other lower rungs and the frames are way too thick than the prototype steps...….looks like they got the steps right on the previous 86.   I dare say I will spot a few more things...…….

Edited by ThaneofFife

• RMweb Gold
On 22/02/2019 at 12:28, MGR Hooper! said:

NOTAM:

NOTAM! (Notice to Airmen). That mean that only people with a pilots license are able to buy these lol.

Edited by jools1959

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, jools1959 said:

NOTAM! (Notice to Airmen). That mean that only people with a pilots license are able to but these lol.

NOTAM..

Notice To All Modellers.

:-)

but getting to MRS would need a pilots license for us southerners.

Edited by adb968008

12 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:

The steps on the bogies also look incorrect - I think the top step is almost twice the width of the other lower rungs and the frames are way too thick than the prototype steps...….looks like they got the steps right on the previous 86.   I dare say I will spot a few more things...…….

They are correct for locos as built, see attached Flickr pic. The wider top plate was a later mod.

019 Class AL6 or 86 E3187 at Exhibition Jcn holding sdg Nov 65

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1