Heljan announce re-tooled Class 86 in OO

Andy Y

45 minutes ago, DBC90024 said:

Are Heljan goinv to be doing the later 86s ? Ie EWS/ Freightliner/ Virgin/ Colas/ Caledonian sleeper liveries ?

I have it on good authority that the Danes are going to ignore all of these liveries and instead produce LoadHaul, TransPennine, Island Line and Wales & Borders.

• Funny 2

Hey, that's really good news, well done Heljan ... I am having one in Cally Sleeper livery, Serco are going to be maintaining their Sleeper electrics at Johnson Street IEMD and in my world, they didnt give back their 86s and 87 - are they going to do the EWS one? hell, if not, someone might just repaint one :-)

1 hour ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Class 86/0 - Oct-Nov 2020
Class 86/4 - Jan-Jun 2021
Class 86/6 - Jan-Jun 2021

I didn't even know they had confirmed an 86/2 or 86/4? I thought they would decide based on sales of the 86/0.

That's good & bad news. Bad because it will be expensive for me.

• Funny 1

57 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I didn't even know they had confirmed an 86/2 or 86/4? I thought they would decide based on sales of the 86/0.

I would love to see an 86/2 - the most numerous of the sub classes - but I don't think that has ever been announced has it?   Seems strange they are going for 86/4s and 86/6s first.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

No Class 86/2 has been announced yet, only the Class 86/4 and Class 86/6 have been announced, it was announced at Warley last year. I think their ETA is a bit ambitious as we've seen nothing till date. As for the actually announcement...common sense probably caught upto them and they realised that waiting to see how the Class 86/0 sales were was probably going to hamper their project more than aid it.

• Like 1

86/2s were rebuilt in 1973-5 (ish) with flexicoil suspension and SAB resilient wheels to reduce the track bashing tendencies of the class, so ran from that period with the "Zeberdee" springs.  The 86/4 was a Flexicoil rebuild of the 86/3 from around 1986 onwards (and some 86/0) which had the multiple-working boxes fitted when rebuilt to allow multiple working on freight and liner services.  Eventually, when the "TDM" multiple working facility was installed the multiple working boxes were removed as they were on the 87s, so superficially they looked like 86/2s except if you look closely, there were plates covering holes where the old jumper cable boxes were.

I seem to recall as well that the 86/2 conversions were selected from the locos that had a slightly higher continuous horsepower rating of 4000hp, whereas the 86/0/3 and 4 retained the original 3600hp rating, but that might be an urban myth.

Somewhere in this thread Heljan Ben does say it is the intention to work backwards through the Class 86 history and do an 86/2 at some point.  If you think about it, their last 86/2 model really only covered the late 90s onwards, there's 86/2 no name with headcodes in blue, 86/2 in blue with no headcodes and names, IC Exec, IC Exec with headlamps, a new batch of Swallow which seemed to sell out quickly last time around, with two different yellow end treatments, variations with fire bottles and RCH cables, so there's quite a lot of mileage to be gained from doing a /2.

I'm wondering if Heljan Ben might be able to give us an update on delivery schedules for the 86/0?  I don't believe the box shifters when they say Oct-Nov this year as the livery samples have only recently been approved, I'm inclined to think early next year now, but, as I will be looking to shovel over £1.5k Heljan's way when they do arrive I need to have my financial planning on top of the matter!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I'm aware of the history, but once all the /0s and /3s had been upgraded to /4s with both SAB wheels and flexicoils, was there any visual difference. ie if you were to buy a future 86/4 and remove the mu jumpers would it pass as a /2? I believe the 86/2s being selected from the 4000hp AL6 pool is fact not myth; there were different traction motor specs and the gearing was longer too for a bias of express over mixed traffic use (ie matching the 87s). 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, letterspider said:

Do we have a confirmed delivery time for the first batch?

According to this month's Hornby Magazine Heljan have recently received factory decorated samples* and release is due 'late 2020' which stacks up with MGR's comment. 

*in Electric Blue...

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Anadin Dogwalker said:

I'm aware of the history, but once all the /0s and /3s had been upgraded to /4s with both SAB wheels and flexicoils, was there any visual difference. ie if you were to buy a future 86/4 and remove the mu jumpers would it pass as a /2? I believe the 86/2s being selected from the 4000hp AL6 pool is fact not myth; there were different traction motor specs and the gearing was longer too for a bias of express over mixed traffic use (ie matching the 87s). 

I know of no other visible differences between the 2.

8 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

Agreed, I'm just stating what it says in the magazine guv ;-)

Sadly, George Dent has included class 86 in his list of loco types painted Electric Blue in his livery article in the latest Model Rail.

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, 50A55B said:

Sadly, George Dent has included class 86 in his list of loco types painted Electric Blue in his livery article in the latest Model Rail.

Whereas in the aforementioned edition of HM Tim Shackleton states they were delivered in Rail Blue!

Edited by spamcan61
  • Like 1

Class 86/4 EP sample was shown off in one of the videos from Hornby Magazine...

1.jpg.085462eaf6c2cae599b042dfdc73b354.jpg

2.jpg.ec678676dd946b52709d43f0d24c29a2.jpg

The only issue I can spot is that the high intensity headlight seems a lot less pronounced than it should be. Seems rather flat like the ex-Lima/Hornby Class 47. Hope @61661 has made a note of it and will have it changed?

A couple of images for your reference...

8640_3536049_Qty1_cat.jpg

p2067334899-4.jpg

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

On 07/10/2020 at 11:04, DBC90024 said:

Hey, that's really good news, well done Heljan ... I am having one in Cally Sleeper livery, Serco are going to be maintaining their Sleeper electrics at Johnson Street IEMD and in my world, they didnt give back their 86s and 87 - are they going to do the EWS one? hell, if not, someone might just repaint one :-)

Make a change from a 90:yahoo:

• Like 1