Heljan announce re-tooled Class 86 in OO

Andy Y

3 hours ago, 97406 said:

Are they your own prints or available somewhere? The other important part is an accurate plated over headcode box with the little lip around the edges. The Hornby model with headcodes incorrectly has the lip, but it’s handy when modelling the plated boxes. It’s extremely fine detail so difficult to model properly with styrene strip.

They are my own prints. I have not actually fitted any yet. I have a few older 86s & 87s which I really need to get started on.

I was disappointed at how rough they look in the close-up photo because they look a lot tidier to the naked eye.

I will be happy to print some more off & send them out but for anyone with a resin 3d printer, I have attached the .stl.

class 86 87 MU jumpers scale.stl

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I will be happy to print some more off & send them out but for anyone with a resin 3d printer, I have attached the .stl.

Been generally getting hacked off with RMWeb recently. The the general "it looks fine to me therefore you are wrong to see otherwise" attitude, contrast with people throwing in ludicrously small details that you can't expect a mass produced model to incorporate, or utter lack of common sense with regard to economics (a generally British attitude of always wanting more for nothing) etc etc.

And then someone just pops up and offers free help. Nice. Well done Sir!

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 09/03/2021 at 09:53, adb968008 said:

86/2’ and 86/4’s are my hotspots.

I will be looking for a Rainhill trials 86, either rtr or diy.

Me too. Rainhill livery 86235 is already on my list. 86214 had an odd early style headlight at that time, which would require extra tooling, so unlikely to feature. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

They are my own prints. I have not actually fitted any yet. I have a few older 86s & 87s which I really need to get started on.

I was disappointed at how rough they look in the close-up photo because they look a lot tidier to the naked eye.

class 86 87 MU jumpers scale.stl 44.13 kB · 10 downloads

Brill. Many thanks!

19 hours ago, 61661 said:

Dear All,

Just been informed that the Class 86/0s will be shipped to UK retailers in the first week of April. They are about to land in Denmark, but will be checked first and then start to be shipped from April 1st (no jokes please!) 

Hope this helps

Ben

Any ETA's on the 86/6's or the 86/4's?

Cheers Chris

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, 61661 said:

Dear All,

Just been informed that the Class 86/0s will be shipped to UK retailers in the first week of April. They are about to land in Denmark, but will be checked first and then start to be shipped from April 1st (no jokes please!) 

Hope this helps

Ben

Fonz.jpg

• Funny 2

On 08/03/2021 at 10:25, 61661 said:

We do plan to work our way on to the Class 86/2s after we've completed the 86/4s. Planning and research is already underway, but we need to deliver what we've already promised before moving on to more '86s'! 

Hope this helps

Ben

Hi Ben @61661

I don't know what subclass the following Class 86 is but going by the code i think it is a 86/2.

The only Class 86 i seen in real life is 86259 and i was wondering if there is any chance that when you work on the Class 86/2s that this locomotive may be considered to be be produced.

Thanks,

Samuel.

23 hours ago, 61661 said:

Dear All,

Hope this helps

Ben

Great news.

Operation "Bankrupt the Wombat" is about to begin.

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 13/03/2021 at 12:13, sc2016 said:

Hi Ben @61661

I don't know what subclass the following Class 86 is but going by the code i think it is a 86/2.

The only Class 86 i seen in real life is 86259 and i was wondering if there is any chance that when you work on the Class 86/2s that this locomotive may be considered to be be produced.

Thanks,

Samuel.

indeed I think a lot of people have a soft spot for 86259.

i’d imagine the man himself would be very keen to have it modelled to. Each CME that his loco heads Les walks through the train chatting to passengers and discussing the loco, a really nice guy, and he’s well proud of his loco, really good to talk to.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 9

9 hours ago, adb968008 said:

indeed I think a lot of people have a soft spot for 86259.

E520667D-C979-41B8-B137-45584A97C22F.jpeg.e7ea271668f441a482879f59b69dec33.jpeg

i’d imagine the man himself would be very keen to have it modelled to. Each CME that his loco heads Les walks through the train chatting to passengers and discussing the loco, a really nice guy, and he’s well proud of his loco, really good to talk to.

F37DA818-820A-4877-8585-6918E9B991A8.jpeg.f5bc5f4fc5c586f49dd391fcf9d8b58b.jpeg

@adb968008 I think its safe to say there will be a big clamour for 86259 for sure, its one I would want definitely, with it being classic and current all at the same time. Although I never saw it, i also fancy one of the EWS Class 86s eventually, maybe 424 ...

On 14/03/2021 at 03:07, DBC90024 said:

@adb968008 I think its safe to say there will be a big clamour for 86259 for sure, its one I would want definitely, with it being classic and current all at the same time. Although I never saw it, i also fancy one of the EWS Class 86s eventually, maybe 424 ...

I think it's also safe to say that 86259 in current condition is likely to be part of the mix when we get around to the 86/2s. There are so many livery options on both the /2s and /4s it will take us a few years to work our way through them. It'll be impossible to keep everyone happy, but we will do our best to cover the most popular liveries in the early batches. 

• Like 6

On 13/03/2021 at 17:11, The Ghost of IKB said:

Question to Ben, about lighting under dcc control, is it the same as the 25 model or is there the capability to turn off tail lights and cab lights?

On the Class 86/0 the lighting arrangement is the same as the first batch of 86s a few years ago - headcode panels and tail lights lit in direction of travel and no cab lights. The 86/4 will have separate control of tail lights on DCC but no microswitches for DC users as it's very difficult to find a place for them under the body. 

Our plan is that the 86/2 will be a further evolution, with cab lights added and more DCC functionality. 

Hope this helps

Ben

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, 61661 said:

On the Class 86/0 the lighting arrangement is the same as the first batch of 86s a few years ago - headcode panels and tail lights lit in direction of travel and no cab lights. The 86/4 will have separate control of tail lights on DCC but no microswitches for DC users as it's very difficult to find a place for them under the body. 

Our plan is that the 86/2 will be a further evolution, with cab lights added and more DCC functionality. 

Hope this helps

Ben

Good to hear Ben,  looking forward to the 86/4's and the 86/6's the DCC switchable lights will come in handy when they are running in pairs!

Cheers 

Chris 

2 minutes ago, XChris said:

Good to hear Ben,  looking forward to the 86/4's and the 86/6's the DCC switchable lights will come in handy when they are running in pairs!

Cheers 

Chris 

Freightliner 86/6s should only be sold as pairs :D plus there has to be an 86501 surely :good:.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Freightliner 86/6s should only be sold as pairs :D plus there has to be an 86501 surely :good:.

You'd hope eventually! For now I'm happy with the updated circuits in the standard FL 86 & the Gaugemaster specials.

Glad they have done 86401 in the CS livery though, would be nice to see 86101 done in the BR blue as preserved style too and of course as mentioned earlier 86259 as well!

2 hours ago, 61661 said:

Hope this helps

Ben

Thanks for the info.  No cab lights is no problem, in fact its better not to have them at all than to have them on when they shouldnt be.

Those pesky taillights will be getting the snip on mine! Unless youre push pulling with DVT or running light engine at night they are more of a curse than a blessing.  The Hornby 87 is spoilt by its bright taillights reflecting on the end of the first coach, both of mine got the  snip too! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, XChris said:

, would be nice to see 86101 done in the BR blue as preserved style too 

I'd be surprised if Heljan tool up for the /1s.  A body/chassis swap with a Hornby 87 shouldnt be too difficult though (with an 86/2) though, that would get you pretty close.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

I'd be surprised if Heljan tool up for the /1s.  A body/chassis swap with a Hornby 87 shouldnt be too difficult though (with an 86/2) though, that would get you pretty close.

Knowing me I'd start the project and then it would be announced! Not too high up on the priority list so it's on the back burner but if one turned up I'd snap it up :D

2 hours ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Thanks for the info.  No cab lights is no problem, in fact its better not to have them at all than to have them on when they shouldnt be.

Those pesky taillights will be getting the snip on mine! Unless youre push pulling with DVT or running light engine at night they are more of a curse than a blessing.  The Hornby 87 is spoilt by its bright taillights reflecting on the end of the first coach, both of mine got the  snip too! 

But surely if you are pushing, you want the headlights off & the taillights on?

• Like 1

On 14/03/2021 at 03:07, DBC90024 said:

From memory there were only three 86s put into EWS livery; 261, 401 & 426.

Here's a minty 401 at Crewe in May 1998.

3739.jpg

• Like 8