Heljan announce re-tooled Class 86 in OO

Andy Y

On 13/03/2021 at 12:13, sc2016 said:

Hi Ben @61661

I don't know what subclass the following Class 86 is but going by the code i think it is a 86/2.

The only Class 86 i seen in real life is 86259 and i was wondering if there is any chance that when you work on the Class 86/2s that this locomotive may be considered to be be produced.

Thanks,

Samuel.

9 hours ago, 61661 said:

I think it's also safe to say that 86259 in current condition is likely to be part of the mix when we get around to the 86/2s. There are so many livery options on both the /2s and /4s it will take us a few years to work our way through them. It'll be impossible to keep everyone happy, but we will do our best to cover the most popular liveries in the early batches. 

@61661Thanks for confirming that 86259 in current condition is likely to be in the mix for when you get around to the 86/2s i wasn't too sure that if it was a 86/2 or another subclass that is why i asked the question on here on Saturday.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/03/2021 at 11:53, XChris said:

You'd hope eventually! For now I'm happy with the updated circuits in the standard FL 86 & the Gaugemaster specials.

Glad they have done 86401 in the CS livery though, would be nice to see 86101 done in the BR blue as preserved style too and of course as mentioned earlier 86259 as well!

I miss the 1980’s...

;-)

Would an 86/1 be possible in the tooling plans ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4
  • Agree 3

18 hours ago, WILLIAM said:

From memory there were only three 86s put into EWS livery; 261, 401 & 426.

Here's a minty 401 at Crewe in May 1998.

3739.jpg

426 that's right, not 424 ..

Great shot of 86401 by the way. I have never seen that and it looking so crisp in EWS, I understand Hornby did all three according to the online guide but i only ever saw and also had 261 and 401 having had both hardwired to DCCF.

Thank you @WILLIAM

I don't know my cans as well as I know my Skodas.

Kat @johnsonstreetIEMD 

Edited by DBC90024
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I miss the 1980’s...

6ED2A1D6-194E-4625-B035-525EE82A2FAA.jpeg.bafc2a2405cf5a023bb9b4474373184e.jpeg

;-)

That was mentioned a few posts earlier.

It would require a different chassis & there were only 3 of them, so it would be unlikely.

Depending on tooling, it may be possible to fit a Heljan 86 on a Hornby 87 chassis. I am sure somebody will try it. I believe some underframe components were in different places.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I miss the 1980’s...

6ED2A1D6-194E-4625-B035-525EE82A2FAA.jpeg.bafc2a2405cf5a023bb9b4474373184e.jpeg

;-)

Much as liked that trio, they're not in our plans at the moment. We have more than enough ground to cover with the more numerous /0s, 2/s, /3s, /4s and /6s and they will keep us going for quite a few years. 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 17/03/2021 at 08:52, Pete the Elaner said:

That was mentioned a few posts earlier.

It would require a different chassis & there were only 3 of them, so it would be unlikely.

Depending on tooling, it may be possible to fit a Heljan 86 on a Hornby 87 chassis. I am sure somebody will try it. I believe some underframe components were in different places.

Yes the 86/1 has the weak field case on the opposite (compressor) side from an 87 and being dual braked also has exhausters which the air only 87 doesn't.

Edited by DY444
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 26/03/2021 at 22:11, The Ghost of IKB said:

I hope these arent stuck in the suez canal!

They aren't - the shipment got through well before that. They will be shipped from our Danish warehouse in the first week of April - next week in fact. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, letterspider said:

Can we see some pictures please Ben...?

They are packed in cartons in the warehouse awaiting shipment. I don't have any production models to photograph - at least not until my samples arrive next week. 

• Like 2

On 10/03/2021 at 11:38, 61661 said:

Me too. Rainhill livery 86235 is already on my list. 86214 had an odd early style headlight at that time, which would require extra tooling, so unlikely to feature. 

take my money for 86 235........i am off to nick some car radios to cover it.....

3 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:

take my money for 86 235........i am off to nick some car radios to cover it.....

I'll probably end up selling my body to my elderly widow neighbours as a by the hour toy boy (put it this way, compared to them, despite my age, I'm Early Learning Centre level of Toy Boy), so if you want fixing up with some lie back and think of Heljan action, I can probably organise something.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, wombatofludham said:

I'll probably end up selling my body to my elderly widow neighbours as a by the hour toy boy (put it this way, compared to them, despite my age, I'm Early Learning Centre level of Toy Boy), so if you want fixing up with some lie back and think of Heljan action, I can probably organise something.

I know what you mean, when times are hard, you have to take desperate action, like selling the family silver for your next fix ...like two 66s for one more 90 lol ...

5 minutes ago, letterspider said:

There is something about electric locos that brings out the beast in RMWeb members.

Here is a quote from anydman7 when he saw an EP of the Bachmann Class 85 -

"Lovely - another model that I would have eaten my own grandmother to have when I was a kid"

Is Andyman7 really the wolf from little red riding hood  ?

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:

A little lockdown project. Still needs a representation of door handles, but it's on the to do list (though I can't be bothered with the recesses). There is a temporal anomaly at play as the Rainhill livery had gone by the time the first executive 86s were outshopped.

DSC01542 (2).JPG

Edited by 97406
  • Like 13