Heljan announce re-tooled Class 86 in OO

Andy Y

12 minutes ago, Richard Croft said:

Mine came today, very impressed with it, particularly the amount of detail on the chassis. I have made a video about fitting sound to it for anyone who might be wondering what its like inside or wants to know which speakers will fit

Richard

Thanks for the tutorial Richard, very useful indeed.

Loco looks and sounds great - plus really easy sound installation.  A real winner here I think.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, cravensdmufan said:

New Heljan 86 looks fabulous - but didn't Hornby do a  great job 40 years ago?!  You did an excellent job detailing yours.

Many thanks for the compliment. Yes, it’s a good model and one of the nicest to convert or detail. This one has an (almost working) crossarm pantograph from the Judith Edge kit which is posable, but I just couldn’t quite manage the mechanism. I have a set of Ultrascale wheels on order for this one and my Executive livery one, which will get fitted together with pickups on all the wheels. The 86s particularly impressed my as a kid on Piccadilly station. Will be getting a couple of 86/4s as my main era is the 80s.

Edited by 97406
  • Like 2

Postlady has just dropped mine off. Very impressed with how it looks (not ran yet!)

Ordered 8656 86034 BR Blue (weathered)

A couple of hastily arranged photos with a Bachmann 85 and the previous Heljan 86/6 of which the chunky pantograph is greatly improved on (although I appreciate there are differences in the types)

Weathering doesn't seem too bad, I was worried after seeing the pics on the Hattons site but mine does not appear to have suffered the same fate!

Wasn’t going to but I think the pristine version may also find it’s way here next week :-)

3A36F7C6-86FF-4182-8AE2-457C15EE05CF.jpeg

FFD8CA7F-4B2B-4847-BB5D-138CB1208C19.jpeg

271CE2E8-EBD9-417D-978C-DC8C8BF7F7B0.jpeg

• Like 7

Some great photos, thanks for posting them folks; keep them coming!

I'm still awaiting my loco - not even got a confirmation that's in stock yet, despite deposit paid!  I will have to try and contain my excitement for a few more days yet I guess!

• Like 1

20210423_131251.jpg.aee66b867e0d640cd47c542683a781aa.jpg

20210423_131331.jpg.4816db8f0dedb23f31e84105ea105001.jpgHi chaps, here are some photos:

I'm over the moon with this. It's the 86 I was dreaming of many years back. The photos look descent but it's terrific in the flesh.

I'd say possibly my favourite out of the ac models on par with the 90. It has some nice weight too and feels like it'll do the business.

The weathering really brings out the bottom half really well - the detail is outstanding- looks very realistic and truly super detailed. (

The panto and electrics on top are the most realistic compared to other ac releases as they don't look plastic.

The buffer beam detail and front are spot on and I really like that the details are there from the off.

Only tiny thing to say is the weathering which is still really good; on the sides I manipulated just a few bits with my thumb and it's fine. I'm really fussy and would have returned it if it was anything more than a minor point, but the fronts look great with their weathering especially. 

Most of all, to me, it looks right; it says class 86 with conviction.It really is a fine and lovely model. 

My rake of Mark 2As (Intercity) have heart-shapes in their eyes as they have the ideal partner to pull them and be seen with on nights out.

Really, really impressed and over the moon. I'm not a rivet counting expert, but I am fussy too; can't wait for the 86/4 batch.

Well done Heljan! Fantastic work. Many years of dreaming are now reality (as an 80s ac enthusiast).

16191802495745283477359599053819.jpg

1619180394270354482280426982756.jpg

16191808911694742422974718139217.jpg

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, gazwire said:

20210423_131251.jpg.aee66b867e0d640cd47c542683a781aa.jpg

20210423_131331.jpg.4816db8f0dedb23f31e84105ea105001.jpgHi chaps, here are some photos:

I'm over the moon with this. It's the 86 I was dreaming of many years back. The photos look descent but it's terrific in the flesh.

I'd say possibly my favourite out of the ac models on par with the 90. It has some nice weight too and feels like it'll do the business.

The weathering really brings out the bottom half really well - the detail is outstanding- looks very realistic and truly super detailed. (

The panto and electrics on top are the most realistic compared to other ac releases as they don't look plastic.

The buffer beam detail and front are spot on and I really like that the details are there from the off.

Only tiny thing to say is the weathering which is still really good; on the sides I manipulated just a few bits with my thumb and it's fine. I'm really fussy and would have returned it if it was anything more than a minor point, but the fronts look great with their weathering especially. 

Most of all, to me, it looks right; it says class 86 with conviction.It really is a fine and lovely model. 

My rake of Mark 2As (Intercity) have heart-shapes in their eyes as they have the ideal partner to pull them and be seen with on nights out.

Really, really impressed and over the moon. I'm not a rivet counting expert, but I am fussy too; can't wait for the 86/4 batch.

Well done Heljan! Fantastic work. Many years of dreaming are now reality (as an 80s ac enthusiast).

16191802495745283477359599053819.jpg

1619180394270354482280426982756.jpg

16191808911694742422974718139217.jpg

Many thanks for the review and photos.  Looks absolutely brilliant.  Can't wait to get mine.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

For the rivet counters who might like to tweak, the cabside gutter strips need extending (possibly paint beforehand and use matt acrylic varnish to attach), and the bogie-mounted steps could be replaced with signal laddering. The high voltage cable on the roof will get a coat of paint too at some point. 

None of the above particularly bothers me, but they make for those nice self-contained little projects for a rainy afternoon that I enjoy. Still they’re most excellent models and I’m absolutely stoked with them.

• Like 2

Great photos, they really do look great.  To think just a few years back we were being told electrics don't sell and we'd never get modern standard models, and yet here we are.

Just had the e-mail to say mine are in the back of a courier van en-route to the shed here in Wales.  Wednesford 1966, 1970 and 1974, here we come.  As soon as they are chipped I'll have a go at doing some video.

My credit card is now lying down in a nice cell decorated with Laura Ashley Broadmoor Collection padded wallpaper awaiting therapy but I'm sure it'll recover.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, chris37422 said:

Postlady has just dropped mine off. Very impressed with how it looks (not ran yet!)

Ordered 8656 86034 BR Blue (weathered)

A couple of hastily arranged photos with a Bachmann 85 and the previous Heljan 86/6 of which the chunky pantograph is greatly improved on (although I appreciate there are differences in the types)

Weathering doesn't seem too bad, I was worried after seeing the pics on the Hattons site but mine does not appear to have suffered the same fate!

Wasn’t going to but I think the pristine version may also find it’s way here next week :-)

3A36F7C6-86FF-4182-8AE2-457C15EE05CF.jpeg

FFD8CA7F-4B2B-4847-BB5D-138CB1208C19.jpeg

271CE2E8-EBD9-417D-978C-DC8C8BF7F7B0.jpeg

I know the cab steps have already been discussed - they really are too chunky when you consider how much finer they are in the previous incarnation and this photo proves it.

I am sure that Heljan Ben said the chassis was very good indeed and required only minor modifications - obviously the bogies differ in this variant - hopefully they will retain the previous tooling when the later variants are released Q3 /Q4.

Looks great - just waiting on mine to arrive... 

15 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

Great photos, they really do look great.  To think just a few years back we were being told electrics don't sell and we'd never get modern standard models, and yet here we are.

Just had the e-mail to say mine are in the back of a courier van en-route to the shed here in Wales.  Wednesford 1966, 1970 and 1974, here we come.  As soon as they are chipped I'll have a go at doing some video.

My credit card is now lying down in a nice cell decorated with Laura Ashley Broadmoor Collection padded wallpaper awaiting therapy but I'm sure it'll recover.

Same here. I've put off my remortgage application to do some much needed work for 4 months. With my orders for the class 86, APT and class 55 I'm knackered. But I don't regret it at all. I can live with my house being delayed, but I don't want to miss out on the any of the trains I've been dreaming of for years.

• Like 3

So, fellow AC electric enthusiasts, Heljan have done us proud and given us a fantastic Class 86 with /2, /4 and /6 variants to follow.

Just an 81 now to complete the most long lived classes – c'mon Bachmann, you have your wonderful 85 as a good base already - know it makes sense!

At long last, after all these years maybe we will hear less of that old groan that electric locos “won't sell”; I have personally heard a former model magazine editor trot that out in front of manufacturer's representatives on more than one occasion.

Thanks again Heljan (and Hornby and Bachmann too actually).

• Like 6

4 hours ago, 97406 said:

Here's my Hornby/Heljan comparison shot. The Heljan has the edge, definitely

20210423_123849.jpg

Sorry to go against the grain, but I can't get over the handrail above the head code which demonstrates zero progress in 40 years, the glazing looks seriously prismatic and the window frame mouldings and pillar thickness are both obviously finer/better proportioned on the Hornby shell. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 97406 said:

Here's my Hornby/Heljan comparison shot. The Heljan has the edge, definitely

20210423_123849.jpg

But you've detailed the Hornby one...& made a good job of it too, so it's hardly a like-for-like comparison.

Wipers

Flushglazing

Headcode panel with lights

Bufferbeam detailing

Separate lower handrails

It looks like a complete repaint.

It does prove that a well detailed Hornby 86 would not look outclassed by a Heljan one the same way a Hornby 37 would be next to a Bachmann one.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Anadin Dogwalker said:

Sorry to go against the grain, but I can't get over the handrail above the head code which demonstrates zero progress in 40 years, the glazing looks seriously prismatic and the window frame mouldings and pillar thickness are both obviously finer/better proportioned on the Hornby shell. 

The glazing on the Hornby one is my own flush glazing cut from acetate sheet, with the inside of the frames painted black. Also I think the window frames on the Hornby one are too fine, plus the centre windows on the Hornby shell are different widths at each end. The prismatic effects on the glazing are common on all my recent models and will never match lazerglaze or cutting your own glazing (and taking your time). The Hornby one looks a little tubby, which has slightly irked me for some time before the new Heljan one came out. I still love the Hornby ones as much work has been lavished on them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

But you've detailed the Hornby one...& made a good job of it too, so it's hardly a like-for-like comparison.

Wipers

Flushglazing

Headcode panel with lights

Bufferbeam detailing

Separate lower handrails

It looks like a complete repaint.

It does prove that a well detailed Hornby 86 would not look outclassed by a Heljan one the same way a Hornby 37 would be next to a Bachmann one.

Yes, I have 6 cans in my fleet now. 3 of each manufacturer, plus a few bits towards making another Hornby one in a drawer.

Cans!.jpg

Edited by 97406
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, 97406 said:

Yes, I have 6 cans in my fleet now. 3 of each manufacturer, plus a few bits towards making another Hornby one in a drawer.

Cans!.jpg

I particularly like Novelty; was that Fox Transfers and did you use their numerals? I have the Fox set stashed but I'm worried the numerals are more cream than white- thoughts?

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Anadin Dogwalker said:

I particularly like Novelty; was that Fox Transfers and did you use their numerals? I have the Fox set stashed but I'm worried the numerals are more cream than white- thoughts?

It’s a great look isn’t it. Yes they are Fox transfers. I had to get a second set as some idiot (who will remain nameless) stuck one on upside down first time round! :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Anadin Dogwalker said:

Sorry, should have posted this pic with the  numerals as well

20210423_175940.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 97406 said:

The glazing on the Hornby one is my own flush glazing cut from acetate sheet, with the inside of the frames painted black. Also I think the window frames on the Hornby one are too fine, plus the centre windows on the Hornby shell are different widths at each end. The prismatic effects on the glazing are common on all my recent models and will never match lazerglaze or cutting your own glazing (and taking your time). The Hornby one looks a little tubby, which has slightly irked me for some time before the new Heljan one came out. I still love the Hornby ones as much work has been lavished on them.

It's a fine bit of modelling and would be interesting to see what you could do with the Heljan one!

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

It's a fine bit of modelling and would be interesting to see what you could do with the Heljan one!

Thank you sir! The banger blue one is earmarked for a plated over headcode box and multiple working equipment at some point to bring it into the 80s. The 2 original blue ones will keep their identities for the foreseeable as I love the original 86 blue schemes. Plus I'm after a little historic fleet as well as the 80s stuff.

Edited by 97406
  • Like 1