Heljan announce re-tooled Class 86 in OO

Andy Y

Mine arrived safely too, this being E3114 in original blue with small yellow panels. This how I first saw them and fits the era I'm modelling.

Class-86-Heljan.gif

Firstly, following the endless discussions on this thread, I think the blue is about right. It's not Electric Blue and not the Rail Blue of latter years. So I'm pleased about that!

The overall shape is good and it certianly looks like an AL6 to me. There are a few detail issues, as has been previously mentioned on here. One I was wondering about is the bus bar on the roof. Weren't these painted red originally?

The other thing I would have liked to see are the raised aluminium numbers and 'Lion and Wheel' crest. Bachmann supplied these in the 'bits bag' as add on extras with the AL5/Class 85. Maybe some of the etched ones from the detailing suppliers might fit?

It does run nicely and at a later stage I'll fit a dcc sound chip. Anybody any ideas on the best version?

Other than that, I'm pleased with it!

Edited by Wagonmaster
Typo
  • Like 11
  • Agree 2

On 23/04/2021 at 22:42, cravensdmufan said:

Now I'm getting worried. I've heard absolutely nothing about my pre-order from a smaller shop. I hope they get their allocation and are able to supply me. If everywhere else sells out I shall be very cross!

Same here. Not showing as in stock on their webpage, so hopefully just slower to receive stock.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Ouroborus said:

Same here. Not showing as in stock on their webpage, so hopefully just slower to receive stock.

Yes, I had a quick trawl through some other shops' websites last night and many, including Gaugemaster who I thought were Heljan's distributors, are showing them still as pre-orders. Mine is ordered through Derails. Fingers crossed for delivery this coming week!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/04/2021 at 04:45, cravensdmufan said:

Well, now that is strange....we've been told for years that electric locos don't sell! :rolleyes:

Course they don't, couldn't, wouldn't, won't, never will...........Then why has  someone(who will remain nameless!!) with his main interest in steam in the 50's ,  just bought a Bacchy  '85. ??............because it's great model and I love it!!:rolleyes:

Mike

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

And the wooden spoon award goes to me for being the first to break the underframe whilst trying to remove the body which just clips to the chassis. Cue the fashioning of a sturdier set of compressor shelves from an old Hornby underframe. Still one of the compressors needed removing anyway. Remember, I do these things so you don't have to. A reminder to all to be very careful handling the chassis!

The headcode panel just pops out making it easy to change headcodes, or plate over. So that may happen at one end later today :)

Edited by 97406
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, ikks said:

Course they don't, couldn't, wouldn't, won't, never will...........

To be fair all they've ever said is "they dont" and it was their investment at risk at the time, not the armchair pundits!

Modelling preferences have  definitely moved in my lifetime from GWR branches being most popular, to BR (w) and now BR blue and later. Time moves on and a lot model what they grew up with. Preserved diesel galas draw in huge crowds these days - a far cry from the Bluebell's steam only rule.

In 50 years will people only model units?!

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I have my E3178 (8652) now, and I'm extremely pleased with it. It seems to have been well assembled, and I particularly like the fact the handrails are not sticking out a long way with a huge gap behind.

There are some minor niggles though. As mentioned earlier the cab door gutters were extended over the opening window in the BSYP period, so the short gutters are only correct for 8650, and some 8651. All the other models should have long gutters, and perhaps Heljan would have been better served going with 5 variants that do have that feature, rather than the 1 or 2 that don't.

I've said it before but E3178 was not an example with red bufferbeams. These were only applied to the 16 locos which were delivered in all-over blue without yellow panels (E3101 to E3107, and E3161 to E3169). I'll be renumbering mine with aftermarket numerals and crests.

The black bufferbeam locos retained the side buffer cowling in body colour, whereas 8653 and 8653 have these in black. Heljan have made these as a seperate piece, so I can see why that has happened, but some owners might want to correct them. Later on into the TOPS period many side buffer cowls were still blue, and many were too dirty to tell.

I like the fact the Heljan have modelled the sand fillers below the cabside numerals on the later models. It is odd that on the prototype OHLW signs were never added in the span of these models, but by the late-70s cantrail stipes were becoming common.

I'm sure the bulk of the stock has yet to arrive - the early stock has certainly sold through quickly though.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

To be fair all they've ever said is "they dont" and it was their investment at risk at the time, not the armchair pundits!

Modelling preferences have  definitely moved in my lifetime from GWR branches being most popular, to BR (w) and now BR blue and later. Time moves on and a lot model what they grew up with. Preserved diesel galas draw in huge crowds these days - a far cry from the Bluebell's steam only rule.

It’s the fate of the preserved diesels and electrics when the time comes that troubles me just a little. Nothing lasts forever. Still, there’s plenty to enjoy now, thankfully :)

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Must stop attempts at humour!!:rolleyes:

• RMweb Gold

A trial attempt at sealed beam lights in the headcode panel and a fix for Mr.Sausage Fingers' underframe details. You don't make mistakes, you just have Happy accidents. Multiple working jumpers next.

20210425_160057.jpg

20210425_160102.jpg

Edited by 97406
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

6 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

6 hours ago, cravensdmufan said:

Yes, I had a quick trawl through some other shops' websites last night and many, including Gaugemaster who I thought were Heljan's distributors, are showing them still as pre-orders. Mine is ordered through Derails. Fingers crossed for delivery this coming week!

I don't think there's any reason to panic, obviously the first supplies to those shops that have got them have sold out quickly as this is a long awaited model but according to my regular dealer these were (as of last week) still all available to order from Heljan. By all means don't hang around but for the time being there are enough to go round.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, ac1874 said:

Is that a fingerprint in the paint on the side?

Of course. It's my own personal touch tastefully done in oil from the chassis. I've only just started working on the loco and the replacement chassis parts still need a little refinement. I'll post more pics as I tweak it some more. At the moment I'm concerned if the 2mm acrylic rod I've used in the lights is too wide. The headcode panel just pops out so it can be tweaked until it’s right. 

This is the look I’m after. https://railuk.info/gallery/getimage.php?id=2729

I think I’ll start a workbench thread. Watch this space!

Edited by 97406
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

On 25/04/2021 at 17:12, 97406 said:

Of course. It's my own personal touch tastefully done in oil from the chassis.

Ah I see, glad it is not a special signature from the factory!

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Edited by ac1874

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, ac1874 said:

Ah I see, glad it is not a special signature from the factory!

Looking forward to seeing our progress.

For a moment did think “S**t, have I got epoxy on the bodywork?”, but thankfully it wiped off! Plus I did put the body well out of the way when I was attending to my underframe cockup! :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As I said before I have a love - hate relationship with Heljan locos.  I have more 17s, 26s, 27s, 33s and DPUs than I care to think about. But I had to shift on the 47s and 52s as they were just not right. 25 is a no also.

Now, this 86 looks a cracking model - but I don't have any wires and being an end of line station and small yard, I can't even justify one for Sunday drags*....

*Will still probably end up buying one, just because...

Roy

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 24/04/2021 at 14:59, cravensdmufan said:

Very useful review and great photos, thanks for posting. Still waiting for mine, and heard nothing grrrrr.... Mine is pre-ordered from a smaller shop. Seems like the box shifters get things in and out very fast. Seeing all these great photos from you guys I'd making me even more impatient! Only been waiting 20 odd years for a really good 86 so I suppose a few more days is okay! 

We have been waiting here too for our trade order, Charlie

• Informative/Useful 1

It's probably a co-incidence but over the past week or so an increased number of earlier Heljan 86/2 models have appeared on the Bay of Tat.  Given none of the liveries are in any way being replaced by the new models, other than a co-incidence I do wonder if these are models bought to be "backdated" to earlier styles now no longer needed for these projects?  I've been able to blag a few backdated Heljan 86/2s in a number of liveries over the years off the Bay and other sources, and it just seems a notable increase over the usual rocking-horse dung rarity of these models on the site.  That said, prices are still quite firm. 

It'll be interesting to see if this becomes a regular trickle or a flash in the oversized pan.

• RMweb Premium
On 25/04/2021 at 10:38, 97406 said:

And the wooden spoon award goes to me for being the first to break the underframe whilst trying to remove the body which just clips to the chassis. Cue the fashioning of a sturdier set of compressor shelves from an old Hornby underframe. Still one of the compressors needed removing anyway. Remember, I do these things so you don't have to. A reminder to all to be very careful handling the chassis!

The headcode panel just pops out making it easy to change headcodes, or plate over. So that may happen at one end later today :)

If I may make reference to 'trying to remove the body', how, mine won't give even after counting to several thousand? It's not as if I haven't done it before. The last really awkward one was the Baby Deltic. The body just does not seem to want to give, even when the clips are separated.

Other than that, it is a good runner in DC and a pretty fair loco to behold. Headcode panel does seem slightly odd, I would have though it should have been flush with the body, but hey!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Francis deWeck said:

If I may make reference to 'trying to remove the body', how, mine won't give even after counting to several thousand? It's not as if I haven't done it before. The last really awkward one was the Baby Deltic. The body just does not seem to want to give, even when the clips are separated.

Other than that, it is a good runner in DC and a pretty fair loco to behold. Headcode panel does seem slightly odd, I would have though it should have been flush with the body, but hey!

Oh for it to be held on with screws! It’s the most awkward one to remove out of all my locos, but I have sussed it with 4 bits of plasticard or cocktail sticks. It’s the lack of bits on the chassis to hold on to that got me. Still it looks fine now, if not quite up to the original level of detailing. The replacement parts are sturdier anyway, and the other two will stay as they are.

They did have a thin lip around the headcode panel and the plated over ones appear to have a nice piece of sheet metal work which fits over the lip and is secured to the front of the loco. The design of the Heljan headcode box actually makes it easy to reproduce, though technically the existing headcode box surround should match the curve of the front. I didn’t want to file this down and respray the front and it looks close enough keeping it flat.

Here’s the current work in progress. Needs the yellow touching up around the headcode panel, lenses, MW equipment and a light weathering to complete.

20210427_180148.jpg

Edited by 97406
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1