Heljan announce re-tooled Class 86 in OO

Andy Y

4 hours ago, luke_stevens said:

Enamel thinners? Don't want to use something too drastic!

Luke

Indeed, enamel thinners. I tend to prefer HMG for things like stripping back factory weathering. Which reminds me, I’m running low!

20D3B638-268C-4AAA-B6EC-922C8F60AE44.jpeg.8c7621cd4415cfc1841bd720f264f17b.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 01/05/2021 at 16:45, Zunnan said:

Indeed, enamel thinners. I tend to prefer HMG for things like stripping back factory weathering. Which reminds me, I’m running low!

20D3B638-268C-4AAA-B6EC-922C8F60AE44.jpeg.8c7621cd4415cfc1841bd720f264f17b.jpeg

Cheers for this.  Following your advice, i did mine.  There was a point when it was a little scary, but i stuck with it and it came good.  It does make for a better appearance.

• Like 1

My 86036 arrived yesterday [from Cornwall].

I will (although not pro-typical for this particular loco) be changing it to domino headcode.

I would have preferred not to have the orange cantrail strip but the version Heljan are doing of that is weathered so a non-starter for me.

I am sure I would not have been able to remove the weathering to leave a pristine finish and similarly don't think I could get ride of the orange cantrail stripe so will have to live with it for now and hope that at some point Heljan do a BR Blue TOPS without cantrial stripe or weathering, but with the perspex headcode panel, though appreciate that might never emerge.

Edited by Opelsi
Typo

25 minutes ago, SGP said:

My arms aren't long enough for those kind of jobs these days :blind:

I had to use modelling magnifying glasses with Mr Mgoo lenses, could only do one side per night, as I was getting a headache due to the magnification needed. The second set has arrived today and I managed to get all the 'E' s cut off and saved in a pot, so no fight with the carpet monster this time.

• Like 2

Received my 86 036 from Derails today.  I am absolutely delighted with it.

Even though it ran superbly straight out the box (thanks Dan and the Derails team who routinely test locos before dispatch - excellent service) I ran it in at medium speed for an hour each direction on the rolling road.  Then I temporarily fitted an old spare 21 pin ESU Lokpilot decoder prior to ordering some sound.

Test train of 9 Bachmann Mk1s.  Super smooth at all speeds right up to maximum of scale 112mph.* Delighted with the turn of speed as the LMR drivers used to really push these locos!

Very well done Ben and the team at Heljan.  It's a brilliant loco IMO.

*Edit:  I have a section on my layout with markers to calculate scale speed.

Edited by cravensdmufan
Additional wording
  • Like 5

On 17/04/2021 at 05:22, YesTor said:

Why are the bogie steps so incredibly 'chunky'?

On 17/04/2021 at 11:29, adb968008 said:

It begins...:hunter:

On 17/04/2021 at 16:55, charliepetty said:

Things like steps ond other fine components are always an issue, scale steps will break very easily when man handled by the masses, thus you get 'Faulty Returns'. I know from experience that 'If' a step or other small component comes adrift (drops off), they we have about a 10% of customers return the product as faulty, the finer the component, the more damaged returns you get.

There sometimes has to be a commercial compromise to save 100's of returns/complaints.

In this current world of RTR models, nothing is good enough for some, you will always get 1% of people on forums moaning about 'Issues' they are not happy with, you cannot win here.

Well done Heljan for doing a 99% accurate model, I never understood why Bachmann did the Class 85 and not the better selling (Multiple Liveries) as on the Class 86.

Charlie

Good spot. The steps are far too chunky. Understandably so, but Heljan have done a fab job on the Class 25 steps. So quite inconsistent?

1956934342_Heljan25.jpg.c3ac3dabaec3488e789668f9126464b1.jpg

109643728_Heljan86.jpg.0ad29c5a0b81e56db40153d276e856b0.jpg

I just ordered E3114 from Rails, aside from the steps, I'd say it's a really good model. Looking forward to it arriving. It the steps bother me when I get it, I think some etched ones could be added.

• RMweb Premium

Not really noticed it either . Much too busy drooling as she heads a rake of maroon mk1s around layout and doing time/speed trials as described by Mike of Model Railways Unlimited. Im trying for a scale 80mph

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

Has anyone got 'all 3' BR electric locomotives, fairly recently introduced?

I was just wondering how the weight, haulage capacity, speed, noise and general operation compare between the Bachmann 85, new Heljan 86, latest Hornby 87.

Al.

• RMweb Gold

I only have a small depot layout with a fiddle yard, but I'd say there's little to choose between the 3 models when it comes to performance. My running is slow speed, but they all excel at this. Using some rickety old scales, the Bachmann 85 is about 400g, with the 86 and 87 at about 480g. All run quiet. I'll leave comments on haulage and speed to those with larger layouts.

DSCF0079.JPG

Edited by 97406
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Has anyone got 'all 3' BR electric locomotives, fairly recently introduced?

I was just wondering how the weight, haulage capacity, speed, noise and general operation compare between the Bachmann 85, new Heljan 86, latest Hornby 87.

Bachmann 85:  400g, scale 105mph

Heljan 86: 460g, scale 112mph

Hornby 87: 480g, scale 110 mph (spot on!)

Bachmann 90: 480g, scale 108mph

All tested and max. speed calculated with rake of 9 Bachmann coaches, using NCE Powercab DCC upgraded to 5amps.  Standard ESU/Bachmann non sound decoders at present.  I hope to upgrade to sound over the coming months.  Hard to choose which projects as yet.

All locos handled the rakes with ease - no slippage on starting off.

86, 87 and 90 all very quiet indeed.  85 just very slight motor whine but still super smooth and quiet.

As gar as general performance is concerned they are all very good; but if I really had to vote I'd give Hornby's 87 best, followed very closely indeed by Heljan's 86.

Top marks to all three manufacturers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Great info - thank you.

I have an 85 and a new tool 87.

Totally agree there's a little noise in the 85 but still pretty smooth, but the 87 is a powerhouse - as it should be!!

Nice to see the Heljan's performing well, again as expected from the others I have - 33, 35, 52, 58.

Just a rough guess, I would have given my 87 a little more, but near enough, with a similar rake.

Bottom line is I'm ordering a Heljan and wanted that last little kick - duly received with thanks!

Al.

• Like 1

Just now, atom3624 said:

Great info - thank you.

I have an 85 and a new tool 87.

Totally agree there's a little noise in the 85 but still pretty smooth, but the 87 is a powerhouse - as it should be!!

Nice to see the Heljan's performing well, again as expected from the others I have - 33, 35, 52, 58.

Just a rough guess, I would have given my 87 a little more, but near enough, with a similar rake.

Bottom line is I'm ordering a Heljan and wanted that last little kick - duly received with thanks!

Al.

Yes the 86 has a great turn of speed.  I was a little worried as my other Heljan locos (58s and 26's) are much slower but that's okay because those locos don't need high speeds anyway.

You certainly won't be disappointed with the 86.  I have now pre-ordered an 86/4.

• Like 1

I'm staying BR Blue - TOPS - non-weathered is the preference, for now.

I would say my 58 can go as well as my 52 - certainly approaching 95+ with a very decent rake as well - love the power of the Heljans!!

My 33 is near as dammit same as the Hymek and perhaps a little slower, but not that noticeable.

Very smooth-running locomotives and for me, not quite counting every rivet, I think a lot of the flak is undeserved!

Al.

• Like 1

Mine is a bit sticky at low speeds, I have to crank to speed step 4 to get it rolling but then I am able to back it down to 1. It behaves exactly the same on DC, needs a bit more juice before it moves off but I can then back it down. I still haven't managed to figure out quite why mine is a bit sticky in getting going, when stripped to component parts there is no real reason showing up, the geartowers in the bogies are fine and theres no restriction on the motor with the bogies out. Once it gets going its still a good smooth performer with plenty of pull, and originally toped out around 110mph in my case which I've notched down on the decoder to 80mph as per the restrictions imposed on the unmodified /0 from the '70s.

I think this is a general observation of all Heljan locomotives and I mean general.

Someone familiar to many - Sam - had mentioned once that the poles are straight, not skew - on the Heljan motors. This would explain a need to momentarily crank the power, then back off.

I've also found they seem to need regular oiling of the motor and bogie bushes - I mean a small touch of course - and this helps hugely.

I made a similar observation, then 'serviced' my 52, and it was almost night-and-day. That initial 'crank' was very slight and a crawl could be started and held with ease.

Al.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Zunnan said:

They're on F0.

Thank you :)

I'm guessing that both red lights come on at the rear instead of only one? 

Saves me worrying about getting hold of a 21 pin decoder as I'll need to rewire the lights anyway, may as well replace the PCB while I'm at it and hardwire one of the umpteen decoders I've got in stock already.

Andi

Edited by Dagworth