Heljan announce re-tooled Class 86 in OO

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Heljan released a project update yesterday, including the good news that the 86/4’s are now in production … with delivery due late 2021 (I guess subject to international shipping issues).

https://www.Heljan.co.uk/post/product-update-september?utm_campaign=226423cd-3cd0-4b9b-ace2-b2deee35bf7a&utm_source=so&utm_medium=mail&cid=12d42152-d01c-4279-82d5-4ff1f6f5f758

I had better ramp-up the efforts to save some pennies to pay for the pre-orders!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I do hope the cab gutters get sorted on the final version as they still look a bit like the 60s spec, and as said before, I'm not too keen on the moulded cables on a new model which alas are to stay, but apart from those 2 small things, I'm looking forward to seeing the decorated samples for the 2 80s examples, especially the executive one. I have that and 426 on pre order. The question is, should I bend the rules and go for a red'un? Wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff!

Edited by 97406

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, GordonC said:

The tail light mouldings look very large there, the livery possibly doesn't help and highlights it

Or at least the headcode panel lights need drilling out slightly so they aren’t so much smaller than the tail lamps. A short length of clear acrylic rod will replicate the lights. The panel pops out on the last run of 86s. 

Edited by 97406

6 hours ago, 97406 said:

I do hope the cab gutters get sorted on the final version as they still look a bit like the 60s spec, and as said before, I'm not too keen on the moulded cables on a new model which alas are to stay, but apart from those 2 small things, I'm looking forward to seeing the decorated samples for the 2 80s examples, especially the executive one. I have that and 426 on pre order. The question is, should I bend the rules and go for a red'un? Wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff!

It does say “Decorated sample - not final release.” On the Hatton’s website, under “Detailing: Bodyshell - factory-fitted separate details” jumper cables are listed. Fingers crossed.

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, No Decorum said:

It does say “Decorated sample - not final release.” On the Hatton’s website, under “Detailing: Bodyshell - factory-fitted separate details” jumper cables are listed. Fingers crossed.

It was Ben himself that said the RCH jumpers would stay moulded when the RES sample was released. The older style MU equipment was definitely a separate fitting on an older engineering prototype earlier in this thread.  I’ll be delighted if the earlier pattern RCH cables are separate fittings on this version.

5C2F255E-C560-4D3A-912C-1E08AEE5BD62.jpeg

Edited by 97406

19 hours ago, 97406 said:

12 hours ago, No Decorum said:

changes aren't going to be made once decorated samples are shown. They hardly make changes when tooling samples are shown. So I wouldn't cross my fingers. 

I think the hattons description is more likely an error on their part than anything else. 

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Katie87006 said:

anyone knows what the actual colour of the pantograph is on the real locos? I'm certain they were not polished steel. It's a bit of an eyesore on the model and needs to be toned down or painted. 

Humbrol No. 64 light grey looks a good match for blue period AC electric roofs and pans. My blue Hornby 87 also got its roof done from the ex works white.

Edited by 97406
  • Thanks 1

Whilst I am not planning to buy a Heljan Class 86 for the foreseeable future, I am really impressed with the latest release from a visual point of view. My only real observation is that it's maybe a bit of a shame that the panto isnt servo operated like the Bachmann 90 and the Accurascales 92, yet still the same price virtually. 

On the 86/4 front, I wonder if any retailer (or even Heljan) might want to do a nice thing (and get some good publicity in the process) and release a fundraising model of 86408, "St John Ambulance"?  As it happens, there are only two 86s which have been named after charities which rely on public donations (the other being 244, the Royal British Legion, assuming you consider "Rotary" and "Lions" to be less dependent on public fundraising) so it could be a nice way of doing something good and raising the profile not just of St John but also the model.

Purely selfishly, I'd be up for 2, one to rename and renumber to "Wulfruna" as conveniently 408 had the full depth yellow front and not the grey band featured on the first ICX release!

Edited by wombatofludham
  • Like 1

On 08/10/2021 at 12:55, Katie87006 said:

anyone knows what the actual colour of the pantograph is on the real locos? I'm certain they were not polished steel. It's a bit of an eyesore on the model and needs to be toned down or painted. 

They were generally painted the same shade of grey as the roof. I use Railmatch Rail Grey on mine, then weather as required.

But thats when the roof section it's self is also painted the correct shade of grey....  There doesn't seem to be any consensus between manufacturers about what shade of grey to use on the roof of the electrics. BR blue 85s, 86s and 87s all seem to wear distinctly different shades out of the box which is a little annoying!   That said, since the brushes/washer jets couldn't clean the roof area, they did take on that dark grey/bronze colour pretty quickly when in service, so you can mask the differences somewhat without having to completely repaint the entire roof section.

• Like 1

RE the cab roof gutters, does anyone know of a practical solution for this? As it looks like they won't be correct for the period on these 86/4 models. 

A bit dissapointing given how much the rest of the detailing has been changed, and will most likely require some repainting work. (?) Not something I really want to be doing on a new £170 model!   On the up side, the TDM cables look decent and the hand rail on the cab front looks better than the wire on the AL6 I have.  Might have to get the spares sprue to swap that over.

image.png.6c208b9f611454ef89dedc115483c757.png

I used Halfords grey primer on my 87's

image.png.9ed91c08eaca706acc1c26301824c545.png

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Northern Electric said:

RE the cab roof gutters, does anyone know of a practical solution for this? As it looks like they won't be correct for the period on these 86/4 models. 

A bit dissapointing given how much the rest of the detailing has been changed, and will most likely require some repainting work. (?) Not something I really want to be doing on a new £170 model!   On the up side, the TDM cables look decent and the hand rail on the cab front looks better than the wire on the AL6 I have.  Might have to get the spares sprue to swap that over.

Carefully remove the small moulded gutter over the doors with a knife, then cut a length of 0.3mm wire, with one end bent downward. Stick in place using thinned acrylic paint of the correct shade (in much the same way as using clear acrylic varnish to stick in flush glazing). I held it in place with masking tape and used a small amount of paint to tack it in place, then took the tape off and applied more paint allowing capillary action to draw the paint along the wire. Hopefully you can see the result in these pics.image.png.ba94cb2fb84746c912e0c1bc3fd8ea88.pngDSCF0084.jpg.3c3d04a3900ab5bcc5061ce9deed13e5.jpg 

Edited by 97406
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I've heard it called aircraft grey. Primer may be too dark and Rail grey too yellow, but once weathered you wouldn't know. 

There are translucent panels over the corridor sections between the blower stacks but these also got painted over in roof colour.

46 minutes ago, 298 said:

I've heard it called aircraft grey. Primer may be too dark and Rail grey too yellow, but once weathered you wouldn't know. 

There are translucent panels over the corridor sections between the blower stacks but these also got painted over in roof colour.

it might have started as aircraft grey, but from looing down on it from numerous bridges it turns to 'weathered grime' fairly quickly!

Ian_B