Heljan announce re-tooled Class 86 in OO

Andy Y

Are those corridor windows a bit over size on the height????  Maybe its an optical illusion but they look bigger than than the bodyside grilles.

Also while im picking....why is the lower support arm on the high speed pan going off to one side?   That doesnt look as good as it could be compared to how Bachmann produced their 90 pan with the lower arm underneath achieving the perfect illusion of just a single arm.

• 2 months later...

The 86/2 EPs looked nice as well, I do hope @61661 considers doing them in TOPS with Headcodes in rail blue as well as the announced liveries.  It is a style that has never been produced previously yet some ran un-named with headcode boxes (post 75 as 0000) for about 5 years, and would complement the 86/0 models giving them another boost in sales!

Edited by wombatofludham
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, wombatofludham said:

The 86/2 EPs looked nice as well, I do hope @61661 considers doing them in TOPS with Headcodes in rail blue as well as the announced liveries.  It is a style that has never been produced previously yet some ran un-named with headcode boxes (post 75 as 0000) for about 5 years, and would complement the 86/0 models giving them another boost in sales!

The headcode panels just pop out so you can easily fashion a bit of glazing and use one of the headcode prints available on ebay and the like. Conversely my 86/0 and 86/3 have plated over panels and sealed beam markers that I made from plasticard and styrene tube with a little acrylic rod for the lenses.

46b.JPG.32cd32782dd61420f7c716deae021419.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 97406 said:

The headcode panels just pop out so you can easily fashion a bit of glazing and use one of the headcode prints available on ebay and the like. Conversely my 86/0 and 86/3 have plated over panels and sealed beam markers that I made from plasticard and styrene tube with a little acrylic rod for the lenses.

46b.JPG.32cd32782dd61420f7c716deae021419.JPG

That's good to know, it would be nice to have a couple of /2s for my 1975 timetable alongside the /0s and others.  I had a mare removing the plated headcode box from the Bachmann 85 to backdate it to 1975 as it was a moulded in panel so a simple pop-out plate will be good.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

That's good to know, it would be nice to have a couple of /2s for my 1975 timetable alongside the /0s and others.  I had a mare removing the plated headcode box from the Bachmann 85 to backdate it to 1975 as it was a moulded in panel so a simple pop-out plate will be good.

You’ll be fine. The Heljan 86/2 prototypes in the new Rails video have nice yellow headcode plated over headcode boxes on the grey cab fronts and this matches the 86/4. With the Bachy 85, it’s easier to forward date the older variants, cab-wise at least as the headcode box is a separate piece of plastic, filling in the gutter rail recesses and adding new gutters from plastic strip. There’s also a slight difference in the underslung equipment between the early/late ones, but the 85 that I forward dated stuck with the old ones until I acquired another 85 to convert to an 81. I didn’t notice it particularly before the swap.