Heljan announce re-tooled Class 86 in OO

Point taken RE the cost/benefit of offering a dummy loco.  I thought (based on the prices I have payed for such parts from Bachmann) that the electronic bits made up a larger percentage of the total price than has been suggested.

In light of this, I wonder how Hornby managed to put together a business case to produce their Class 82/1 DVT?  

That was a stand alone model designed from scratch and, a somewhat unusual choice given there weren't (at that time) comparably detailed class 87 or 90 locomotives on the market to run it with.  In fact I remember how crude and outdated their own class 90 looked next to the DVT in those odd Virgin/EWS Charter packs they offered for a while.

Judging by the prices they fetch on eBay they are quite sought after.  I'd have thought with a new 87 and 90 now and the market and class 86/2 and 86/4 soon to join them, now would be an ideal time to produce another run....assuming of course that it proved to be a profitable venture the first time round!   ?

In any case, I am really enjoying this resurgence of interest in AC electrics and it is great that UK modellers are finally being offered a range of models of comparable quality and detail that like minded modellers on the continent have enjoyed for years.     Now if someone would just develop some catenary (Properly!) to go with them! :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On a different note - A couple of examples of modelling on a budget - Here is a Class 91 and 86 (AL6) I did a few years back.   Both started out as cheap second hand Hornby items off eBay.   

The 91 was repainted, fitted with Shawplan nameplates, PH designs side skirts, modified class 92 pantograph, some tweaks to the bogie frames and my own LED lighting system using 1.5mm fiber optic cable.

The AL6  (my third attempt at one), and was a full repaint with Craftsman 86/0 conversion kit (anyone know what happened to them?), adapted Sommerfeld SF968 pantograph, SouthEastern flush glaze and as with the 91, etched details by shawplan.

I think each one cost me around of £60 in total to make including the donor locos.   That said, I will definitely be buying the new releases of these models when they become available, as much for the smoothness and quietness of the mechanism and enhanced lighting options as for the overall appearance.

Screen_Shot_2020-11-17_at_22_58_12.png

Screen_Shot_2020-11-17_at_22_57_26.png

Screen_Shot_2020-11-17_at_22_56_58.png

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

They look great NorthernElectric 91! I too welcome the interest in ac electrics, but my period is a little older. Perhaps Heljan might consider Classes 82, 83 and 84? The 82 would probably be the most commercially viable with the number of liveries they carried, but I would quite like an 84.

Proper OHLE is a minefield. Round by me (WCML Coventry and Trent Valley), every post seems different. 

• Agree 1
1 hour ago, NorthenElectric91 said:

On a different note - A couple of examples of modelling on a budget - Here is a Class 91 and 86 (AL6) I did a few years back.   Both started out as cheap second hand Hornby items off eBay.   

The 91 was repainted, fitted with Shawplan nameplates, PH designs side skirts, modified class 92 pantograph, some tweaks to the bogie frames and my own LED lighting system using 1.5mm fiber optic cable.

The AL6  (my third attempt at one), and was a full repaint with Craftsman 86/0 conversion kit (anyone know what happened to them?), adapted Sommerfeld SF968 pantograph, SouthEastern flush glaze and as with the 91, etched details by shawplan.

I think each one cost me around of £60 in total to make including the donor locos.   That said, I will definitely be buying the new releases of these models when they become available, as much for the smoothness and quietness of the mechanism and enhanced lighting options as for the overall appearance.

Merely hitting the button didn't seem adequate!  Your models look fantastic.

• Agree 5
34 minutes ago, stovepipe said:

...by way of a little appetiser..

E3134 Lichfield Trent Valley 4Z61 GW 1966-03 20

Lovely :)        Note that 3134 has the longer cab roof gutters that I mentioned in a previous post.

I think I like the look of the earlier batch best as they carried the contrasting red buffer beam which gives the front end a little more presence IMO.

Edited by NorthenElectric91
3 hours ago, NorthenElectric91 said:

Point taken RE the cost/benefit of offering a dummy loco.  I thought (based on the prices I have payed for such parts from Bachmann) that the electronic bits made up a larger percentage of the total price than has been suggested.

In light of this, I wonder how Hornby managed to put together a business case to produce their Class 82/1 DVT?  

Simple its a coach.

No motor.

Technically not a class either its number range falls within tops for npcs.

• Agree 1
7 hours ago, Ian Fisher said:

Simple its a coach.

No motor.

Albeit a coach with complicated lighting more akin to a loco and a few more detail bits to hang off the front buffer beam, hence the pricing at the top end of the range for coaches...

• Agree 1
10 hours ago, Ian Fisher said:

Simple its a coach.

No motor.

Totally, completely missing the point.. but,  we're gonna end up completely off topic if we go down that avenue so lets just leave it there.

• Agree 1
13 hours ago, NorthenElectric91 said:

Gorgeous!

• Agree 1
11 hours ago, NorthenElectric91 said:

Totally, completely missing the point.. but,  we're gonna end up completely off topic if we go down that avenue so lets just leave it there.

I beg to differ.

A Mark 3b DVT aint a class 82/1.  

The model could actually be cheaper to produce as unlike a coach to convey passengers this has no interior to model after a small cab desk.

• Agree 1
On 18/11/2020 at 23:03, NorthenElectric91 said:

Given that there is frequently far too much negativity and nasty comments around on here, I'd just like to balance that with my congratulations for that 86, Northern Electric. That looks very neat indeed. Excellent work on an older model, on a decent budget and a superb result - really looks the part. Now, was shade of blue did you use for it? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks! I'm glad you like them.  I am currently working on an 82 for someone else as it happens, and an 86/4 for my own collection.

I used RailMatch Rail Blue for the body and Rail Grey for the roof, and white mixed with a tiny bit of Rail grey for cab ends. 

One thing that is often missed about the original AL6 livery is the colour of the cab ends was not actually white, but a very light grey. It isn't immediately obvious until you see it next to an 85 for instance that you notice the subtle colour difference.  There is a photo on flickr of the two side by side circa 1966, I will see if I can find it.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1