Heljan announce re-tooled Class 86 in OO

Andy Y

On 06/04/2021 at 18:14, 61661 said:

I get the point you're making but we have no influence on the content or comments made, despite our logo being on it. As a former editor of two model railway mags and a reviewer of 100s of models over the years I would (and have been forced to, on occasions) strongly resist any manufacturer influence on reviews. Now that I'm on the other side of the fence, I don't see any need to change that view and I/we respect the right of all editorial teams to review Heljan models without any input or pressure. 

This model wouldn't need "influencing" even if it were possible!

A fantastic looking class 86, a big thank you from all us electrickery lovers. Just make sure the class 81 is just as good.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I hate to say it, but from the pictures ive seen, i think theres something about the shape of the cab roof that isnt quite right. It looks too flat to me, compared to some photos ive seen. Like the o gauge 56 roof, though not as pronounced. 

Im more that happy to be proved wrong though as the 86 is a key model for my railway and i need to buy quite a few.

Edited by The Ghost of IKB

28 minutes ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

I hate to say it, but from the pictures ive seen, i think theres something about the shape of the cab roof that isnt quite right. It looks too flat to me, compared to some photos ive seen. Like the o gauge 56 roof, though not as pronounced. 

Im more that happy to be proved wrong though as the 86 is a key model for my railway and i need to buy quite a few.

It looks fine to me. Perhaps you're judging it from one perspective?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

I’ve taken a screenshot of the Hornby Mag video and compared the profile to a screenshot of a pic from the internet ... and the profile looks bang-on the money to me, both longitudinal and height. I also overlaid the profiles and changed the opacity ... I would show but there’s not much to see as it overlays almost perfectly. Even the insulator positions between model and the real thing are a good match. Interesting to note that the height of the pantograph base is almost level to the top of the roof dome ... on both model and the real thing.

75784043-5AC3-4F37-9F5E-159714FCAE90.jpeg.01816c5be36a21ef945a571533d6f72c.jpeg

6CF06297-3A2C-44CB-B975-D27CA5C23689.jpeg.7fe55ac538087e57341dadd021060971.jpeg

Unfortunately the 86/0’s are a bit before the era I’m modelling (although it’s damn tempting!) ... but I do have 5 x 86/4’s and 86/6’s pre-ordered .... and if 86401 in NSE is produced then I would be hitting the buy button again!

Also, if Heljan produce spare pantographs of the upgraded type, I would likely purchase a few to upgrade the original Heljan 86/2’s that I have. (Don’t worry Ben, I’ll still be very likely to buy any new 86/2’s in future to add to my fleet!)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

7 hours ago, InterCitySpud said:

This model wouldn't need "influencing" even if it were possible!

A fantastic looking class 86, a big thank you from all us electrickery lovers. Just make sure the class 81 is just as good.

Class 81? Wishful thinking or have I missed something?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Patriot87003 said:

I’ve taken a screenshot of the Hornby Mag video and compared the profile to a screenshot of a pic from the internet ... and the profile looks bang-on the money to me, both longitudinal and height. I also overlaid the profiles and changed the opacity ... I would show but there’s not much to see as it overlays almost perfectly. Even the insulator positions between model and the real thing are a good match. Interesting to note that the height of the pantograph base is almost level to the top of the roof dome ... on both model and the real thing.

75784043-5AC3-4F37-9F5E-159714FCAE90.jpeg.01816c5be36a21ef945a571533d6f72c.jpeg

6CF06297-3A2C-44CB-B975-D27CA5C23689.jpeg.7fe55ac538087e57341dadd021060971.jpeg

Unfortunately the 86/0’s are a bit before the era I’m modelling (although it’s damn tempting!) ... but I do have 5 x 86/4’s and 86/6’s pre-ordered .... and if 86401 in NSE is produced then I would be hitting the buy button again!

Also, if Heljan produce spare pantographs of the upgraded type, I would likely purchase a few to upgrade the original Heljan 86/2’s that I have. (Don’t worry Ben, I’ll still be very likely to buy any new 86/2’s in future to add to my fleet!)

The application of the yellow end wraparound looks more accurate on the Heljan model compared to 86101! Not that I disliked the retro 101 when it was out and about looking  like that, though :)

• Funny 1

5 hours ago, D9001 said:

Class 81? Wishful thinking or have I missed something?

Nothing like a gentle nudge!

I've been waiting most my life to be able to accurately model the southern end of the WCML, blue era around the start of the eighties, this 86/0 takes it one step closer. Bachmanns roarer now has competition to pull the Northampton Cobbler.

While I'm nudging, and to complete my scene, this excellent model can't be run alone and deserves a class 310 and class 81 to run beside, but that's for another day..

Oh and thanks to Patriot87003 for posting the comparison pics, great job.

Edited by InterCitySpud
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, InterCitySpud said:

I've been waiting most my life to be able to accurately model the southern end of the WCML, blue era around the start of the eighties, this 86/0 takes it one step closer. Bachmanns roarer now has competition to pull the Northampton Cobbler.

While I'm nudging, and to complete my scene, this excellent model can't be run alone and deserves a class 310 and class 81 to run beside, but that's for another day..

For me, this is a possible future Class 81 project based on the Bachmann 85 as the cabs are a very close match.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, InterCitySpud said:

Have you started this project?

board making, trackwork, OLE etc

Kat@johnsonstreetIEMD 

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, SGP said:

I still quite like the Hornby 86 myself.

Any comparison pics regarding that one or is there a thread somewhere that I can't find?

There’ll be a few from my layout in a week or two. Currently I’d say the Heljan model has the edge, though my Hornby ones will remain in the fleet, as they’re still good and one of the most rewarding models to modify. There’s one in my Profile pic at the moment. Ultrascale wheels are on order as they wobble a little at present! ;)

Edited by 97406
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, InterCitySpud said:

Don't wait.

If you're as fussy as me about getting the look of certain things right then it will take some time to achieve it & models will be available in some form by the time the layout is ready for them.

I am finding it slow but very rewarding.

I started with doing dual eras, c1939 & c1990. 1939 was easier so I did that first, but since I started, class 87, 90 & now 86 have been introduced, as have Oxford's Mk3As. Regarding 1939, an updated Princess & Duchess have been introduced & now the Coronation Scot set is imminent, which is an absolute must for 1939.

Anyway, weren't we supposed to be talking about the class 86?

• Like 1

On 04/04/2021 at 18:56, cravensdmufan said:

Yes, to read the full article but the YT video is excellent.  I kept pausing it on full screen and it's good and clear and the model looks very good indeed.

I've looked at the HM video a good few times now, and have just pre-ordered 86 036 (8655), even though my layout is set late 1980s-early 1990s.  Been waiting years to get a decent 86, and I love the look of this Heljan one, so I will run it until the 86/2s and 86/4s come along. :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, D9001 said:

ANy further information in when this model will be coming out?  I, a bit worried because I ordered min through Hattons.......

I wouldn’t worry it seems the cancellation emails all seem to be Hornby products as far as I can tell.

• Agree 1

This morning I collected my saved copy of Hornby Magazine from my local newsagents.  Needless to say I went straight to the Heljan 86 review - and all I can say is wow!  The close up photo over pages 114 and 115 is simply stunning.  I haven't looked forward to a model release as much as this one  for a long time- very excited!

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, stovepipe said:

Rails now advertising they will be in stock 'soon'...

Has that changed I thought it had said for a while? Heljan said shipping to shops in the first week of April so assume they have them or will do very shortly.

• RMweb Gold

I recall Ben said a few days back that they are in transit between Denmark and the UK. They have today's customs to get through, plus quality control, distribution, etc. In the pandemic as well. It does look like they will be worth the wait though! :)

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, cravensdmufan said:

This morning I collected my saved copy of Hornby Magazine from my local newsagents.  Needless to say I went straight to the Heljan 86 review - and all I can say is wow!  The close up photo over pages 114 and 115 is simply stunning.  I haven't looked forward to a model release as much as this one  for a long time- very excited!

I know exactly what you mean, i remember having a similar reaction with the Bachmann Class 90 having seen the unfinished sample example on a fellow RmWEB users account a few years ago now, and well, I even asked Bachmann if they would sell me an unliveried example as none of the liveries suited my modelling plans, several LOL Bachmann 90s later, I couldnt be happier on the 90 front,  still no Bachmann offical DB 90s out yet - come on Bachmann !!!

Hopefully the 86 is as popular as the Bachmann 90, I am sure Heljan will be hoping so too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cravensdmufan said:

Bought a copy myself and see what you mean! Looks great.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ac1874 said:

Bought a copy myself and see what you mean! Looks great.

Yes, and considering that photo is printed at least 3x the size of the model I reckon it looks absolutely brilliant.  The modern digital lens is unforgiving, and faults normally jump out at you, particularly when enlarged such as this.  So all very good.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2