Heljan announce re-tooled Class 86 in OO

Andy Y

56 minutes ago, m1a2lt said:

'morning!

Does anyone know if the new Class 86 bodies will fit to the old Heljan Class 86 bodies? Bought a couple of the old ones a few years ago with a plan to match these with Hornby Class 86 bodies but with these new Class 86s available, I would rather just get the new bodies, upgrade them to ~early 90s 862xx and 864xxs. Thoughts?

Your best bet is to ask someone at Heljan...? Members on this forum will not know any more than you and I.

Ben Jones is a member of this forum. Drop him a PM. I don't recall his forum name unfortunately.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 24/04/2019 at 23:24, Wagpnmaster said:

I wouldn't say it is  'mythical' shade, but its not the later Rail Blue we are used to, it's a slightly lighter shade, but not Electric Blue as with the AL1-AL5's. This is illustrated with your photographs. The shade was also very noticeably different against the 'new' AM10's that were painted Rail Blue. This is what I saw day in day out commuting from Coventry to New Street.

An AM4 and AM10 would be useful additions for anyone modelling the WCML. However, I couldn't wait and have built the Southern Pride AM10. My model is slightly modified to include working illuminated tail lamps and headcodes. The detailed interior is also illuminated with my own 'flicker free' circuit suitable for both analogue and DCC. The pan head has the Viessman spark unit fitted to produce random flashes whilst travelling under the wires.

Class-310.gif

This is the DTCOL from the four car unit.

I've just been reading this thread and cannot go further without complimenting you on your beautiful AM10.  Great modelling.  Is there any footage of it running under the wires?

Congrats to Heljan on following through on this. I was concerned after reading this about their desire to pursue an 86/2 and 86/4 but looks like they are strongly committed. Makes this much easier than putting a Hornby body on a Heljan chassis. Looks like my old Heljan 86s are about to make their way onto eBay!

On 24/09/2019 at 18:42, PMP said:

No pantos. That’s interesting. Perhaps Heljan is taking a look at improving their appearance. Perhaps, just perhaps, Heljan is wondering about the possibility of responding to Bachmann’s Class 90 challenge of a remotely controlled panto. I feel teased and intrigued! :D

5 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

No pantos. That’s interesting. Perhaps Heljan is taking a look at improving their appearance. Perhaps, just perhaps, Heljan is wondering about the possibility of responding to Bachmann’s Class 90 challenge of a remotely controlled panto. I feel teased and intrigued! :D

Or they've realised 50% of the users don't bother with wiring so they've not bothered with a pantograph :jester:

• Funny 2

29 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Or they've realised 50% of the users don't bother with wiring so they've not bothered with a pantograph :jester:

As little as 50%? There’s no chance of my installing wiring on my layout, which has to cope with everything from Rocket to Class 68s and 90s. However, I have got myself Peco’s starter kit and I am impressed and cowed in equal measure. I’ve been intrigued by a recent series in Bachmann Times about a modern depot catering for diesel and electrics, partly equipped with OHLE. There’s a redundant 8' × 2' baseboard I could utilise, plus Freightliner Classes 90, 70, 86, 66 & 08. A couple of 57s if I stretch a point. Big Freightliner petroleum tanker to deliver the juice. Hm.

• Like 1

I suspect the lack of coathanger is probably down to it having been removed when the loco was specially painted.

I'm wondering whether all the new AL6s will have their as-built alphanumeric headcode boxes or whether the one listed as "weathered with orange wash line" will have a plated over headcode box?  

4 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

I'm wondering whether all the new AL6s will have their as-built alphanumeric headcode boxes or whether the one listed as "weathered with orange wash line" will have a plated over headcode box?  

PMP's link above shows 86034 with alphanumeric headcode box -which is the loco i've seen advertised as weathered (and i've convinced myself it's got light weathering on the lower bodyside in the photo). I was hoping it would be plated over with marker lights.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Heljan have revealed the artwork for the upcoming Class 86s:-

8650_3456282_Qty1_cat1.jpg.1849c0531034c3369b8c22852bd44dd2.jpg

8651_3456283_Qty1_cat1.jpg.41e42db34fe9e03b66bf3a09318cc130.jpg

8652_3456284_Qty1_cat1.jpg.65cb2400962bf892868aa1306034320c.jpg

8653_3456285_Qty1_cat1.jpg.b4bb485751ce97793fffda8ba4476876.jpg

8655_3456287_Qty1_cat1.jpg.9950627f407da2dec574746cc600d865.jpg

8656_3456288_Qty1_cat1.jpg.4cb8fc7dc2f38b3b2be6b9e2ab50d539.jpg

Shouldn’t the pantograph small link arm (my terminology) be above the larger diameter link arm rather than below it?

Apologies for being nitpicky but I’ve been looking at rather a lot of photos of Class 86 pantographs recently and those on the class 86-0 photos that I have seen show the small link arm in a different place to this artwork.

Apart from that they look very nice.

Cheers

Darius

Edit - just read earlier posts where this was pointed out and seen photo of revised pantograph on the Heljan prototype.  Perhaps the artwork hasn’t caught up with the latest model development.

Edited by Darius43

18 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Did any Class 86 such as the ones show above carry liveries like these in 1996-2002?

Or do I enforce RULE 1?

Well, nobody else has answered but based on Wikipedia I would have to say I doubt it.

First, you will be invoking rule 1 regardless given that no 86/0 lasted into the 90s.

But given that all of the 86s had been allocated to sectors that all had their own paint schemes I suspect that an original paint scheme surviving to 96 would be unlikely.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Never seen those weird front yellow panels on the BR Blue versions. Hopefully they'll appear as in the side on views, but with China anything might happen.

I assumed that was just a drawing error.

Also, there doesn't seem to be an illustration of 8654 - E3156 in BR blue.  Whilst it would be little different to the other BR Blue examples, just with "E" numbers, the fact both TOPS versions are shown makes me wonder why it was omitted.  One problem I've seen is a photo of E3156 on Flickr taken in 1972 shows it with a cross-arm "Class 87" style pantograph, so I wonder if this might be about to get a new running number?

Are you able to throw a torch in our direction Ben?

• RMweb Gold
On 21/10/2019 at 19:09, MGR Hooper! said:

Did any Class 86 such as the ones show above carry liveries like these in 1996-2002?

Or do I enforce RULE 1?

BR blue on AC electrics died with the class 81&85s, leaving just 84001 at the NRM by 1992 in plain BR Blue.

Since then, Closest was 86233 Alstom Heritage, but the blue shade it carried post 2000 was not an authentic 1960’s blue as per above. 86259 Les Ross is also in an inaccurate shade of blue for the class.

However 86101/401 and 87002 carried BR Blue up to around 5 years ago prior to the CS contract.

Though all these substantial detail differences exist, the most obvious being no headcode boxes, bogie springs and with Orange Cantrail stripe etc.

Heljans model is an 86/0, and theres been none of them to be seen for nearly 4 decades, indeed Hornbys original 86/2 came out about the same time the 86/0 became extinct... that said, no ones ever made an 86/0 before..

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Sorry if this has been discussed previously, but i thought the al6's/86's were delivered in rail blue from new, rather than the lighter electric blue applied to the 81-85 classes.  Is the bright blue Heljan are using correct?

Discussed from page 3. According to the opening post should be rail blue but I haven't re-read to see if that got contradicted later!

8 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Since then, Closest was 86233 Alstom Heritage, but the blue shade it carried post 2000 was not an authentic 1960’s blue as per above. 86259 Les Ross is also in an inaccurate shade of blue for the class.

However 86101/401 and 87002 carried BR Blue up to around 5 years ago prior to the CS contract.

Slight correction: 86401 was back in a (rather faded) Network SouthEast livery before getting CS blue.

7 hours ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Sorry if this has been discussed previously, but i thought the al6's/86's were delivered in rail blue from new, rather than the lighter electric blue applied to the 81-85 classes.  Is the bright blue Heljan are using correct?

hallo,

This is a photo of a postcard bought early 70s, I really don't know when exactly. Treasured it all these years and the colours have held up well.

"The up 'Manchester Pullman' arrives at Euston headed by 3.500 h.p. Bo-Bo 25Kv A.C. electric locomotive No. E3122"

With standard B/G coaches at the rear I expect an RMWebber can give a ca. date. Definitely not BR Blue.

es grüßt 

pc

20191026_082057.jpg

• Like 3