Heljan progress report - November 2018

Andy Y

PROGRESS REPORT – NOVEMBER 2018

47CAD.jpg

O Gauge Class 47 V3 CAD

A brief round-up of the progress on other current projects from Heljan… 

OO9/OO GAUGE

• Lynton & Barnstaple OO9 Manning, Wardle 2-6-2Ts, Version 1. Shipped. Expected Release – December/January

• Lynton & Barnstaple OO9 Manning, Wardle 2-6-2T Lew/Lyd (Version 2). Awaiting samples. Expected Release – August/September 2019

• Class 33/0 & B Tank Packs – Shipped. Expected Release – January

• Class 35 ‘Hymeks’ – Shipped. Expected Release – February

• Class 07 (Batch 2) – Shipped. Expected Release – March 2019

• GWR AEC Railcar – design stage. Expected release in 2020

• Late body style Class 25 – in tooling. First samples due soon

Railcar body CAD.JPG

O GAUGE

• GWR/BR ‘43XX’ 2-6-0 – Complete and being shipped now. Expected Release – January 2019

• BR Class 37/4 diesel – In production. Expected Release – February 2019

• BR Class 50 diesel – Awaiting deco samples. Expected Release – August/September 2019

• BR Class 03 diesel shunter – Running samples now being checked and corrected. Expected Release – Autumn 2019

• Class 117 DMU – Tooling samples being checked. Expected Release – Late-2019/Early-2020

• Class 121/122 Railcars - Tooling samples being checked. Expected Release – Late-2019/Early-2020

• BR Class 33/0 Version 2 and Version 3 – CAD complete. Awaiting samples. Expected Release – Late-2019/Early2020

• O Gauge Class 47 Version 2/3 (new tooling) – CAD complete. Expected Release – Late-2019 (see above)

• O Gauge GWR AEC Railcar – CAD stage. Expected release in 2020

• O Gauge Class 56 diesel – Research stage. Expected release in 2020 In progress: GWR Railcar CAD artwork AND FINALLY…

Heljan 2019 CATALOGUE OUT THIS WEEKEND!

2019 Cat Cover.jpg

It’s been a few years since the last Heljan British catalogue was produced and the range has developed significantly over that time. However, our 2019 is now complete and contains full details of the current range and our exciting programme of new releases for 2019/20 in OO9, OO and O gauge. The catalogue will be released at the Warley NEC show on November 24/25 and will be available from Heljan stockists nationwide in late-November

• Like 9

In the history of small trains, surely one of the finest, definitive pieces of tooling too!  :sungum:

Absolutely Chard. It's always been one of my favourites, long before I was ever involved with Heljan. Model Rail's Hymek review sample was the only loco that performed faultlessly (for nine days!) in the dust and flith of the concrete works during the NRM's Railfest in 2004. When everything else gave up, the Hymek just kept going on our little test layout! 

• Like 4

Absolutely Chard. It's always been one of my favourites, long before I was ever involved with Heljan. Model Rail's Hymek review sample was the only loco that performed faultlessly (for nine days!) in the dust and flith of the concrete works during the NRM's Railfest in 2004. When everything else gave up, the Hymek just kept going on our little test layout! 

Railfest - now there's a name from the past!!!

Model Rail's Hymek review sample was the only loco that performed faultlessly (for nine days!) in the dust and flith of the concrete works during the NRM's Railfest in 2004.

I remember the Model Rail review laying into it saying it was badly put together, so that's pretty funny to me.

I'd forgotten that! I guess that's the one that's upstairs on my layout and it's still running just as well as it did then! Needed a wheel-clean afterwards, I recall. I think I need a blue, SYP version now. There was a nice one secondhand, super-detailed and weathered in T4U recently. I hesitated because the weathering was a bit heavy for my taste. Then I found a photo that I took around 1970, of a really filthy one in that livery, with the Swindon 75ton crane, at Colnbrook. I decided that I would buy it, went back to T4U but in the intervening week it had gone. He who hesitates.......! (CJL)

post-1062-0-37782300-1542932012_thumb.jpeg

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 6

The OO Hymeks are a re-run, using the same tooling as before.

Seeing as you are here Ben, would there be any possibility of 33/2’s appearing on O gauge seeing as you are re releasing 33/0’s. I could do with a couple for my Hither Green Layout

post-14935-0-90600500-1542973740_thumb.jpeg

Currently improving one of your earlier 33/0’s

Edited by 47606odin

• RMweb Gold

Yep. Given they had a similar event in 2008 to commemorate 40 years since the end of steam, I'd hoped (in vain) they would do something for the 50th anniversary this year.

Sadly i think the days of grand gathering style events are now past us in the full sized hobby, no profit / too much risk, for any organizer to put on.

Its only six years to Rainhill 175... chances of steaming a half dozen aging replicas of 175 year old locos running along side a dozen non-mainline approved 100+ year old locos is nil, indeed it would be a major achievement if they managed to get 4 mainline locos (steam or diesel) on 4 dining train charters on the same day, as again the same profit could be earned for less effort spread out on any other days.

The mainline is about profit rather than enthusiasm these days,

Instead maybe for Rainhill 175 we could do a model railway layout recreating it !

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

O GAUGE

• GWR/BR ‘43XX’ 2-6-0 – Complete and being shipped now. Expected Release – January 2019

• BR Class 50 diesel – Awaiting deco samples. Expected Release – August/September 2019

• BR Class 03 diesel shunter – Running samples now being checked and corrected. Expected Release – Autumn 2019

• Class 117 DMU – Tooling samples being checked. Expected Release – Late-2019/Early-2020

• Class 121/122 Railcars - Tooling samples being checked. Expected Release – Late-2019/Early-2020

• BR Class 33/0 Version 2 and Version 3 – CAD complete. Awaiting samples. Expected Release – Late-2019/Early2020

• O Gauge Class 47 Version 2/3 (new tooling) – CAD complete. Expected Release – Late-2019 (see above)

• O Gauge Class 56 diesel – Research stage. Expected release in 2020 In progress: GWR Railcar CAD artwork AND FINALLY…

Just a quick question as like a few people I am unable to get to Warley this year due to work commitments.

The O Gauge Class 47 version 2/3. Is there any hints, clues, ideas yet which batch of 47's is planned? 47/4, 47/0 or 47/7?

I would hope all variants would be released at some point, but apart from a brief mention last year all has gone quiet.

Are the Hymeks the same body shell as before, or have the been updated at all?

Pete,

What do you think requires updating on the model?

Personally, as already mentioned several times, I think it’s one of the best models that’s been released....

Now, we need to work on Ben to do another run of post Tops class 27’s......

attachicon.gif47CAD.jpg

O Gauge Class 47 V3 CAD

OO9/OO GAUGE

• Lynton & Barnstaple OO9 Manning, Wardle 2-6-2Ts, Version 1. Shipped. Expected Release – December/January

• Lynton & Barnstaple OO9 Manning, Wardle 2-6-2T Lew/Lyd (Version 2). Awaiting samples. Expected Release – August/September 2019

• Class 33/0 & B Tank Packs – Shipped. Expected Release – January

• Class 35 ‘Hymeks’ – Shipped. Expected Release – February

• Class 07 (Batch 2) – Shipped. Expected Release – March 2019

• GWR AEC Railcar – design stage. Expected release in 2020

• Late body style Class 25 – in tooling. First samples due soon

attachicon.gifRailcar body CAD.JPG

O GAUGE

Heljan 2019 CATALOGUE OUT THIS WEEKEND!

attachicon.gif2019 Cat Cover.jpg

It’s been a few years since the last Heljan British catalogue was produced and the range has developed significantly over that time. However, our 2019 is now complete and contains full details of the current range and our exciting programme of new releases for 2019/20 in OO9, OO and O gauge. The catalogue will be released at the Warley NEC show on November 24/25 and will be available from Heljan stockists nationwide in late-November

I thought the O gauge class 50 was due out in early 2019?

Sadly i think the days of grand gathering style events are now past us in the full sized hobby, no profit / too much risk, for any organizer to put on.

Its only six years to Rainhill 175... chances of steaming a half dozen aging replicas of 175 year old locos running along side a dozen non-mainline approved 100+ year old locos is nil, indeed it would be a major achievement if they managed to get 4 mainline locos (steam or diesel) on 4 dining train charters on the same day, as again the same profit could be earned for less effort spread out on any other days.

The mainline is about profit rather than enthusiasm these days,

Instead maybe for Rainhill 175 we could do a model railway layout recreating it !

We've already had Rocket 175.

It was in Manchester, Liverpool Road in 2005. They are already planning for 2030 with the new Tiger replica (seeing as Liverpool Museum refuses to let Lion out).

BTW there is also supposed to be going to be a huge event for S&DR 200 in 2025. Probably at Shildon.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

We've already had Rocket 175.

It was in Manchester, Liverpool Road in 2005. They are already planning for 2030 with the new Tiger replica (seeing as Liverpool Museum refuses to let Lion out).

BTW there is also supposed to be going to be a huge event for S&DR 200 in 2025. Probably at Shildon.

Jason

Your right, where did those years go ?

I meant Shildon, but Rocket confused the picture.

I’m not even that old.

Let’s see what 2025 brings.

Edited by adb968008

I am beginning to get a sinking feeling that the O2 variants may have quietly been abandoned.  :-(

It certainly hasn't been abandoned, just put on hold until the final sales of the present stock has been achieved. It was discussed briefly over the weekend at the Warley show along with the other lengthy queue of Heljan models in the progression line. The positive aspect of this is that most of the tooling is complete for the earlier version with just some 'tweeking' required to the GN cab and tender when the time comes.

Edited by BrushVeteran

It certainly hasn't been abandoned, just put on hold until the final sales of the present stock has been achieved. I was discussed briefly over the weekend at the Warley show along with the other lengthy queue of Heljan models in the progression line. The positive aspect of this is that most of the tooling is complete for the earlier version with just some 'tweeking' required to the GN cab and tender when the time comes.

Thanks