Planet Industrials - 4mm:ft industrial kits and details

cornelius

• RMweb Premium

32115093208_761447143f_c.jpg

Narrow Planet's multimedia approach to kits has been well proven in 009, but we're a little surprised the idea doesn't really seem to have been taken on by many others. So with the hope of new markets out there to conquer, our designer James has been working on a Standard Gauge Narrow Planet kit. Standard Planet? We might go for Planet Industrials. Anyway...

45261777394_292c5e14b9_c.jpg

This is the prototype of a kit for a F.C. Hibberd "Planet" in 4mm:ft scale, an 18 ton SCW type to be more precise. It will use the familiar Spud motor bogie and is comprised of a 3D printed bodyshell core and etched overlay detail. Price and release TBA, and there are still some details to resolve, but it will be on display at the Warley MRC show at the NEC this weekend. Come and say hello at stand A16!

32115092588_8d50f43e6c_c.jpg

(we'll also have some new narrow gauge stuff, stay tuned!)

https://shop.narrowplanet.co.uk/

Edited by cornelius
  • Like 18

Excellent news!

I was wondering why this looked a little odd - the real thing, of course, has 3' (nominal) wheels (12mm in 4mm scale) whereas the dear old SPUD has 10.5mm discs. Easy enough to change, of course, and if you were to use a more sensible mechanism with a plausible top speed you'd start with that in mind.

Adam

And Black Beetles.

Jason

From my experience a Black Beetle is a couple of mm longer than a Spud.of the same WB.

I had to hack away the rear of the buffer beams to get a Beetle to fit an ancient kit that I had in stock that was designed for a Spud.

Worth checking if an alternative will fit before getting too involved.

Bernard

• RMweb Gold

It looks ideal for a High Level quad drive unit.

The only possible draw back may be the lack of weight.

Gordon A

I've only just seen this and Gordon is quite right, it would be great to have an option to install a High Level quad drive unit between a set of Narrow Planet etched frames. Is the main loco body going to be etched?

The High Level quad driver (an earlier version of which both Gordon and I have used in our respective builds) provides really smooth running and very controllable, plus you have the option of different gear ratios.

• RMweb Premium

I've only just seen this and Gordon is quite right, it would be great to have an option to install a High Level quad drive unit between a set of Narrow Planet etched frames. Is the main loco body going to be etched?

The body is a combination of a 3D printed core shell with etched overlay detail. From conversations with interested viewers at Warley today I think the option to install a more bespoke designed power unit is going to be a necessity so keep watching this space.

• Like 4

32115093208_761447143f_c.jpg

Narrow Planet's multimedia approach to kits has been well proven in 009, but we're a little surprised the idea doesn't really seem to have been taken on by many others. So with the hope of new markets out there to conquer, our designer James has been working on a Standard Gauge Narrow Planet kit. Standard Planet? We might go for Planet Industrials. Anyway...

45261777394_292c5e14b9_c.jpg

This is the prototype of a kit for a F.C. Hibberd "Planet" in 4mm:ft scale, an 18 ton SCW type to be more precise. It will use the familiar Spud motor bogie and is comprised of a 3D printed bodyshell core and etched overlay detail. Price and release TBA, and there are still some details to resolve, but it will be on display at the Warley MRC show at the NEC this weekend. Come and say hello at stand A16!

32115092588_8d50f43e6c_c.jpg

(we'll also have some new narrow gauge stuff, stay tuned!)

https://shop.narrowplanet.co.uk/

I missed this at Warley.

I'll certainly be looking at this, it is the prototype of the Turners Asbestos Cement locomotive on Trafford Park.

post-17261-0-61802800-1543410244_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Thanks everyone. We're going to consider alternative self-assembly drive arrangements but I would like to make sure a RTR mechanism is available in some form for those who would like one.

The drive unit Chris produces for our Harton No.2 has the same wheelbase as the spud you are using in this loco so it shouldn't be much of a problem.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The design work for our 4mm scale standard gauge Planet loco kit is progressing. James has been busy building the second prototype, to which he has added many of the additional details including ballast weights between the wheels. He has also test fitted buffers, and tension lock couplings in the NEM sockets which are part of the 3D print. Alternative buffer beams without the coupling hole will also be included for those who prefer three-links or other arrangements.

Our aim is for an initial release in the late summer, the first batch will be complete with a Spud power unit which on testing with a decent amount of weight in the loco performs well. To help with this we are planning a cast whitemetal weight to fit inside the bonnet.

Later on we will look at a "body only" option for those who would prefer an alternative drive arrangement as this will require changes to the bottom of the body. In developing this model we have carried on the Narrow Planet 009 ethos, which is to provide an easy to build, well detailed kit with a ready to run mechanism - and to encourage more newcomers to the hobby to get stuck in.

Planet 18SCW second prototype 3.jpg

Planet 18SCW second prototype 2.jpg

Planet 18SCW second prototype 1.jpg

Planet 18SCW couplings.jpg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Having lots of fun designing and assembling this one... looking forward to seeing what people do with it later in the year! My hope is it encourages people to build kits, and the multi media approach plays to the strengths of all the materials used. I'm hoping to get some paint on this second prototype in the next week or so...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cornelius said:

the first batch will be complete with a Spud power unit

Might I suggest that this first batch has a "without Spud" purchase option as maybe many potential purchasers might have spare 24.5mmWB Spud's sitting on the shelf (in the dark to prevent them sprouting!)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...