Planet Industrials - 4mm:ft industrial kits and details

cornelius

• RMweb Premium

Now available online. Stock availability is a guesstimate right now but will be checked and corrected when we get back to base. 

https://shop.narrowplanet.co.uk/collections/loco-kits/products/pil-001

Thanks to everyone at Warley who expressed an interest (and bought one!). We'd love to do more standard gauge industrial stuff so keep watching this space. 

Edited by cornelius
  • Like 3

I was interested but would much prefer a body only kit to place on a High level Quad drive that has the advantage of a rocking axle for fine scale modellers.

Did I understand that a body only kit was going to be £85?

If so I thought that was a bit steep.

Gordon A

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gordon A said:

I was interested but would much prefer a body only kit to place on a High level Quad drive that has the advantage of a rocking axle for fine scale modellers.

Gordon A

There is a body only kit. You just need to toggle the option.

https://shop.narrowplanet.co.uk/collections/loco-kits/products/pil-001?variant=31300651188290

Jason

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Gordon A said:

Gordon A

Hi Gordon,

We appreciate your interest as a finescale modeller, with the Planet our intent has been to create an easy to build product to encourage more people into kit building and grow their skills. This ethos is carried over from our 009 range where a RTR mechanism and kit body is a common approach.

It is possible to (carefully) modify the underside of the body to open out the bonnet cavity and fit a mechanism of your choice. We are also considering a further variant next year which will make this easier, with our own chassis design as an option pending further prototyping work.

The price of the current body only kit is £80 including insured UK postage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The second kit in the Planet Industrials range is a straight forward conversion kit for the Hattons' Andrew-Barclay, and will comprise a 3D printed resin cab with etched details, works and number plates. This represents a later cab style inspired by the examples at Devonport Dockyard, but also seen in industrial service across the U.K.

These photos show the prototype model.

The kit will be available exclusively through the Narrow Planet marketplace, and to be released in Q1 2020.

73495251_114446120037808_513625135949807616_n.jpg

79682666_114446243371129_8434545479844364288_n.jpg

80102196_114446236704463_7500206276954030080_n.jpg

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

As the designer behind Planet Industrials I thought I'd add a little about models in development from time to time - since Warley when I picked up a book on Devonport my interest in this impressive dockyard railway system has continued to grow so alongside the other big developments planned for the Planet Industrials brand (more on that as the year progresses) I have decided to add a third variant to the Hibberd...

Planet+Devonport+v0.jpg

The Devonport system was simplistically distinguished by North and South yard operations, with the system connected by a quite restrictive tunnel. When built this was for horse drawn traffic but when the yard was mechanised steam locomotives, and later diesels had to negotiate this tight loading gauge. The Barclay cab project has generated this interest, as the prototype's chunky nature with low slung cab has a very distinctive appearance, and obviously this followed that the diesels could well be as distinctive.

IMG_9428.jpg

Planet+Devonport+side.jpg

On first inspection, the Navy's 30 odd Planets which featured Foden engines rather than the normal Dorman and flame proofing, were otherwise outwardly similar. However after a trip to Chatham last October where I could study Rochester Castle it was apparent that the flameproofing didn't just mean different exhaust and radiator - but also a shorter bonnet. In addition, the Devonport system's 10 examples had a cut down cab, not a lot lower than standard, but more curved at the side to allow passage through the tunnel.

IMG_9432.jpg

Planet+Devonport+front.jpg

The 3D model has been altered to reflect these differences, and alongside the front footstep prototype will be test assembled in the coming weeks - I will need to re-draw some of the etched parts too, and I suspect the market for such a model may not be large we may only do a very short run of them alongside the usual production versions. It feels as though my own model of a Devonport inspired system, even if just a cameo, is now just waiting to be built. 

If you haven't visited, there is also now a Facebook page for the fledgling brand, take a look and 'LIKE' or 'FOLLOW' as things tend to get posted their first due to the ease of updating that page versus a blog update...

https://www.facebook.com/planetindustrials/

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

As an addendum to the Devonport Planets, a lot of the goods vehicles associated with the yard went to the Plym Valley Railway.  It's also so worth watching Force 10 from Navarone,  sequel to Guns of Navarone as a lot of the railway footage was filmed in South Yard near the smithy and saw mills.  Look out for the yellow emergency phone on the wall, with the reminder to ring 2222, not 999.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

@James Hilton

Might be worth checking out page 24 of the Hornby 48ds thread.

The below was posted by Ruston about a picture Karhedron posted.

Sounds ideal for a Planet industrial kit.

"That one is technically not a 48DS. It is a 44/48HP, in Ruston's classification scheme and pre-dates the 48DS. The cab and cab steps are different, and the wheel diameter was 3 ins. smaller than the 48DS. It's most probably W/n 186032, ex-works 3/4/1937, delivered new to Wiltshire United Dairies at Chard. That shot is interesting as I have a works photo of it on test in Lincoln and in a cream-coloured livery, with the Wilstshire United Dairies logo on the cab. It's clearly no longer in that livery here but it does appear to be lined. I seem to remember someone saying that it wasn't actually delivered in the cream livery, so perhaps that's true and it was repainted in the standard lined green before delivery.

If anyone can design and produce cab front, rear and sides, plus step etches it would be a nice and easy conversion of the Hornby 48DS (I'm sure we can ignore the slight difference in wheel diameter). I measured one up some years ago, and also have a drawing, if anyone is interested in producing these parts."

• Like 2

As part of the Planet Industrials brand, Steve and I decided to launch a YouTube channel that we could add 'industrial railway' videos too promoting this area of railway modelling and providing inspiration...

PI+Youtube.jpeg

The channel is available here, please do subscribe, and if you find a video you think we should include then if you can share it on our Facebook page then we'll add it to the channel.

In time there will be product videos of our own models here to showcase what is possible, and to explain in more detail about their design and assembly. In the meantime, there is plenty there already, my personal favourite is 'The day Stan left' in the Industrial Steam playlist. Worth a watch...

More soon...

• Like 3

Steve and I have wanted to include more than just kits in the Planet Industrials range, becoming a home for all sorts of items that are useful to those modelling industrial railways in the United Kingdom, so this announcement marks the beginning of this range diversification...

IMG_0179.jpg

I've designed 4 sets of industrial transfers, covering numbering, lettering and some NCB/British Steel marking, as well as some less 'British Rail' wasp stripes...

PIC+Transfers.jpg

These are designed to offer some flexibility, as well as covering more than just locomotives - they well suited to rolling stock (see above) as well as road vehicles and general signage. I hope to add more styles in the future. They should be available in the Narrow Planet marketplace in the next few weeks. More soon...

PI+transfer+samples.jpg

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

A few updates from the past week or so - good news, the transfers are now in stock in the shop here:

https://shop.narrowplanet.co.uk/collections/planet-industrials

We'll be re-stocking the Planet shortly, along with the new version with front steps and alternate cab design with longer one piece front and rear windows.

In other news, I've posted up about another kit due for release later in the year - the Clayton 25t built for Devonport, perfect for the Accurascale KUAs and useful for those with modern image industry wanting a small modern shunter...

CD+3%253A4.jpg

https://paxton-road.blogspot.com/2020/02/the-devonport-clayton.html

There will be more releases later this week...

Check out the Facebook page for the most up to date information.

• Like 8

Since Warley last November, this kit has been under quite rapid development and I've shared progress as the prototype has moved forwards over the past few months. This week see's it's release in the Planet Industrials range...

IMG_0182.jpg

Available now exclusively from the Narrow Planet marketplace for just £25 including UK delivery (overseas at cost), and based upon the excellent Hattons Barclay model, the kit replaces the cab with a 3D print, re-using the details including handrails, lamp iron, brake stand etc.

IMG_0183.jpg

The 3D printed cab has been produced in house - each one being checked over and prepared by hand after production. This allows us to bring products to market in a short space of time and produce small batches of subtle variations. It is combined with an etch of parts including the roof hatch, which would be difficult to include in the print as well as etched works and number plates.

IMG_0184.jpg

Devonport Royal Dockyard in Plymouth featured a tunnel between North and South yards with restrictive clearances. Their fleet of steam and diesel locomotives featured cut down cabs. The kit represents one of the last pair of steam locomotives built for the system by Andrew Barclay, with their standard pattern post 1951 style cab dropped in height.

IMG_0185.jpg

My prototype model has been repainted into a pseudo Devonport livery (I've combined elements of the later livery, with the plainer red buffer beams of the early livery, and kept the red-wheels of the donor Hattons model as I liked them!) finished with some custom transfers I designed I slightly mis-calculated the length of the side tanks, so these have had to be cut and overlapped (hence the slight thicker section - this will be corrected on production transfers). I can supply copies of these to interested parties for around £15 (price to be confirmed) - get in touch for details.

IMG_0186+%25281%2529.jpg

Despite being based on the Devonport examples, the cab would well suit other industrial applications. The nature of the conversion means that if you can match the body colour of your existing model no repaint is required, making a unique and well finished model more achievable.

I'm also excited to share that we can supply the model with a donor Hattons Barclay, whilst discounted our conversion kit price - so you can pick up a complete kit for just £120 (including UK delivery).

More is planned for Planet Industrials this year, these first releases are just the beginning of our plans for the brand. Steve and I are excited and thanks for all for the support and interest. More soon...

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

The Hornby W4 Peckett 0-4-0st was the ready to run model that started it all! Hornby taking a punt at an industrial prototype showed others that there was a market in the diminutive and often overlooked. Followed by a Hattons Andrew Barclay, and later the Hornby B2 0-6-0st the original W4 continues to form a strong part of their range and is a well detailed and lovely running model...

IMG_0525.jpg

I have been toying with a Peckett project for a while, and finally bit the bullet. Regular long standing readers may remember I picked up a MSC liveried example in the early days but it didn't fit with plans at the time and was moved on. The latest acquisition is the plain black example with later safety valve bonnet - which best suits a post dating.

IMG_2034.jpg

The W class was nominally a 13", later 14" cylinder with 3' diameter wheels. The number after W denoted the revision, Hornby's is quite an early example with wooden buffer beams and the early style cab. I wanted to replace the buffer beams and cab for starters but wasn't sure how Hornby had engineered their model.

Peckett+W+cab+back.jpg

I needn't have worried, the buffer beams are pushed and glued onto tabs, the cab also just glued into tabs in the cast floor. That discovered I've run a micrometer over the vitals and knocked up 3D artwork for a replacement cab with brass roof, and two options of front buffer beams. These will all be printed on the Narrow Planet resin Formlabs Form2 we use for the production Andrew Barclay cabs already in the Planet Industrials range. 

Peckett+W+cab.jpg

The cab will press into the original slots, although the strengthening tab in the cab lower sides will need removing. The buffer beams will push on the front, and the buffers can be fitted from the original Hornby offering. I will also etch a replacement front tank support, which although will be incorrect in outline, allow you to model one without wings. I'm thinking about options for a shorter chimney and safety valve, along with a cut down cab option, and one with later style windows as well. Until the prototype parts are fitted though, there isn't anything else to be done. Keep an eye out on the Planet Industrials page for more information as things develop... More soon...

• Like 6

Would be nice if you did a version of the cab with the top half of the rear cab removed as many Pecketts had the facility to remove the top half of the cab back during the summer.

You could offer both versions of the cab.

Keep up the good work on Industrials.

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Whilst building my own OO gauge model of a Hunslet 0-4-0 DH from the excellent Judith Edge kit,  I chose to use Romford style wheels due to their ease of use and quartering. However, I was less than happy with the visible axle nut...

IMG_0328+%25281%2529.jpg

Originally I planned to just paint it, thinking it would disappear in the general inderframe gloom, but looking at photos of others completed models I wasn't so sure... I then looked at the Markits axle nut covers, which seemed to offer a solution. These would just about fit the small wheels, but had to be locked in place by the crank pin, and I wasn't sure if this was the way I wanted to go. I was also a little worried as I had a feeling the bosses on the Scale-link wheels I was using differed a little from the original Romford design.

IMG_0330+%25281%2529.jpg

So I decided to design something myself... originally I planned to include an outer edge to cover the whole of the centre boss, but I was worried about the easy in which the part could be cut from the etch without leaving a dent, as well as the chance that the axle was a tiny bit longer, or proud of the wheel face, meaning a small gap may be visible around the edge. I figured the better compromise was to just cover the nut itself, with a thin but robust etched part.

IMG_0494+%25281%2529.jpg

The result seen here, worked well on my Hunslet model, and so Steve and I have decided to add them to the Planet Industrials range - they are in production at the moment, and by the time they're back and packaged up I expect release will be in April. Keep your eyes peeled on the Facebook page for more information on their availability... More soon...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

I have a quicker solution  for covering the Romford nuts.

WP_20190404_09_13_51_Pro.jpg.d3e2814ee6a4ca44380ca686456ff77f.jpg

Using a leather punch I cut a disc of black insulation tape and stick it over the nut - covers it perfectly and is easily removed if necessary. Seen here on the driving and trailing wheels of this Stanier 3P.

• Informative/Useful 4

Thanks chaps - yes both two good options - and top tip on the electricians tape, I'd not heard of that one before.

These etched ones seemed useful to me when building my own model - they won't be high cost, but hopefully will offer an alternative to those looking for something like this for their own models.

Edited by James Hilton

Steve and I are excited to announce the second version of our Hibberd Planet kit is now available, featuring the same multimedia approach suited to the modeller new to locomotive kit building. This version includes a shunters front step and a choice of cab style for £83 (kit only) or £123 (supplied with the required Tenshodo chassis) both including free UK delivery.

IMG_0487.jpg

From today we are offering a 10% discount to both new and existing customers on all Planet Industrials products available through the Narrow Planet Marketplace, enter the code 'GOINDUSTRIAL' at check out, available through to the end of March.

• Like 4