cornelius

Planet Industrials - 4mm standard gauge industrial from Narrow Planet

Now available online. Stock availability is a guesstimate right now but will be checked and corrected when we get back to base. 

https://shop.narrowplanet.co.uk/collections/loco-kits/products/pil-001

Thanks to everyone at Warley who expressed an interest (and bought one!). We'd love to do more standard gauge industrial stuff so keep watching this space. 

Edited by cornelius
  • Like 3

I was interested but would much prefer a body only kit to place on a High level Quad drive that has the advantage of a rocking axle for fine scale modellers.

Did I understand that a body only kit was going to be £85?

If so I thought that was a bit steep.

Gordon A

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gordon A said:

I was interested but would much prefer a body only kit to place on a High level Quad drive that has the advantage of a rocking axle for fine scale modellers.

Gordon A

There is a body only kit. You just need to toggle the option.

https://shop.narrowplanet.co.uk/collections/loco-kits/products/pil-001?variant=31300651188290

Jason

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Gordon A said:

Gordon A

Hi Gordon,

We appreciate your interest as a finescale modeller, with the Planet our intent has been to create an easy to build product to encourage more people into kit building and grow their skills. This ethos is carried over from our 009 range where a RTR mechanism and kit body is a common approach.

It is possible to (carefully) modify the underside of the body to open out the bonnet cavity and fit a mechanism of your choice. We are also considering a further variant next year which will make this easier, with our own chassis design as an option pending further prototyping work.

The price of the current body only kit is £80 including insured UK postage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The second kit in the Planet Industrials range is a straight forward conversion kit for the Hattons' Andrew-Barclay, and will comprise a 3D printed resin cab with etched details, works and number plates. This represents a later cab style inspired by the examples at Devonport Dockyard, but also seen in industrial service across the U.K.

These photos show the prototype model.

The kit will be available exclusively through the Narrow Planet marketplace, and to be released in Q1 2020.

73495251_114446120037808_513625135949807616_n.jpg

79682666_114446243371129_8434545479844364288_n.jpg

80102196_114446236704463_7500206276954030080_n.jpg

• Like 4

Planning on painting the prototype in Devonport maroon with the yellow lining. More on my blog as the model develops!

As the designer behind Planet Industrials I thought I'd add a little about models in development from time to time - since Warley when I picked up a book on Devonport my interest in this impressive dockyard railway system has continued to grow so alongside the other big developments planned for the Planet Industrials brand (more on that as the year progresses) I have decided to add a third variant to the Hibberd...

Planet+Devonport+v0.jpg

The Devonport system was simplistically distinguished by North and South yard operations, with the system connected by a quite restrictive tunnel. When built this was for horse drawn traffic but when the yard was mechanised steam locomotives, and later diesels had to negotiate this tight loading gauge. The Barclay cab project has generated this interest, as the prototype's chunky nature with low slung cab has a very distinctive appearance, and obviously this followed that the diesels could well be as distinctive.

IMG_9428.jpg

Planet+Devonport+side.jpg

On first inspection, the Navy's 30 odd Planets which featured Foden engines rather than the normal Dorman and flame proofing, were otherwise outwardly similar. However after a trip to Chatham last October where I could study Rochester Castle it was apparent that the flameproofing didn't just mean different exhaust and radiator - but also a shorter bonnet. In addition, the Devonport system's 10 examples had a cut down cab, not a lot lower than standard, but more curved at the side to allow passage through the tunnel.

IMG_9432.jpg

Planet+Devonport+front.jpg

The 3D model has been altered to reflect these differences, and alongside the front footstep prototype will be test assembled in the coming weeks - I will need to re-draw some of the etched parts too, and I suspect the market for such a model may not be large we may only do a very short run of them alongside the usual production versions. It feels as though my own model of a Devonport inspired system, even if just a cameo, is now just waiting to be built. 

If you haven't visited, there is also now a Facebook page for the fledgling brand, take a look and 'LIKE' or 'FOLLOW' as things tend to get posted their first due to the ease of updating that page versus a blog update...

https://www.facebook.com/planetindustrials/

• Like 2

As an addendum to the Devonport Planets, a lot of the goods vehicles associated with the yard went to the Plym Valley Railway.  It's also so worth watching Force 10 from Navarone,  sequel to Guns of Navarone as a lot of the railway footage was filmed in South Yard near the smithy and saw mills.  Look out for the yellow emergency phone on the wall, with the reminder to ring 2222, not 999.

• Thanks 1

@James Hilton

Might be worth checking out page 24 of the Hornby 48ds thread.

The below was posted by Ruston about a picture Karhedron posted.

Sounds ideal for a Planet industrial kit.

"That one is technically not a 48DS. It is a 44/48HP, in Ruston's classification scheme and pre-dates the 48DS. The cab and cab steps are different, and the wheel diameter was 3 ins. smaller than the 48DS. It's most probably W/n 186032, ex-works 3/4/1937, delivered new to Wiltshire United Dairies at Chard. That shot is interesting as I have a works photo of it on test in Lincoln and in a cream-coloured livery, with the Wilstshire United Dairies logo on the cab. It's clearly no longer in that livery here but it does appear to be lined. I seem to remember someone saying that it wasn't actually delivered in the cream livery, so perhaps that's true and it was repainted in the standard lined green before delivery.

If anyone can design and produce cab front, rear and sides, plus step etches it would be a nice and easy conversion of the Hornby 48DS (I'm sure we can ignore the slight difference in wheel diameter). I measured one up some years ago, and also have a drawing, if anyone is interested in producing these parts."

• Like 1