Planet Industrials - 4mm:ft industrial kits and details

cornelius

41 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Were these locomotives used at other sites away from Devonport, and when were they introduced?

Built 2000, specifically for Devonport. Since then Clayton have built larger but visually similarly styled units for Cross Rail and Ford. I chose the smaller unit to start with as it appealed to me, and has a certain cuteness to it...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Thanks, a bit late for me.

Changing topic, what is the wheelbase/wheel diameter of the Spud used in the Hibberd? I ask because Branchlines do  Spuds with P4 wheels and they might do this one too.

Cheers

It's the 24.5mm wb / 10.5mm wheel version.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cornelius said:

It's the 24.5mm wb / 10.5mm wheel version.

SPUD's are dead easy to change to P4 - I've done loads -, and 12mm wheels are really needed for the Planet loco. If doing so then omit the packing plate and the buffers nicely come back near enough to the 3ft 6in centre height. Standard 2mm axles and soldering extension wires onto the pickups if using Gibson plastic-centred ones. There's enough rock in the axle slots to help out by giving a bit of compensation also.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 15/09/2020 at 18:25, James Hilton said:

Theoretically yes, although I haven’t tried it. There is space, but you may need to replace the Romford wheels for P4.

Thanks James, it was confirmation that there was room between the frames that's key for me - happy to sort the wheels :-) 

Cheers

Alastair 

• Like 1

The Ruston 165DE is the latest kit in the Planet Industrials range that Steve and I are developing and was the result of an accidental realisation that the wheelbase of the Hornby W4 Peckett seemed to be a match to the prototype...

IMG_1387.jpeg

The 165DE was available in both a flat front and later sloped front cab style. The former is available as a kit from Judith Edge. The 165 was also available in both 0-4-0 and 0-6-0 as well as hydraulic and electric drive. The hydraulic units had a jackshaft drive arrangement, whereas the electric did not - so to make things simple and minimise the work required on the Hornby donor chassis we've opted for just the DE model.

IMG_1388.jpeg

It follows the usual Planet Industrials (EuroNG / NP / 6point5 / James Hilton!!) style of a 3D printed core, to which the chassis is firmly attached using the original mounting point combined with a fret of etched nickel silver parts that form the details and overlay.

IMG_1389.jpeg

The body features re-cessed panels where the etched components sit, and goes together very easily. The prototype has thrown up a few things that need adjusting, as well as a beefier mesh on the front grill which didn't survive the etching process. I plan to work through these changes and update the etch artwork in October, so there is potential for a pre-Christmas release with this one...

IMG_1390.jpeg

I've also got the parts to finish the Greenhithe Peckett and I've a ton of Peckett cabs for the standard kit here to work through and prepare for sale - more on that next week. In the meantime, more soon...

IMG_1384.jpeg

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...

A few weeks ago I finished off the Clayton 25t, well apart from a MU hose and some wipers, and the construction has allowed for some adjustments in production design, so the kit will be finalised in the coming weeks...

I decided it would be nice to grab a shot or two on Mollington Road, rather than Pont-y-dulais. The inset track suits the prototype, and has more of a feel of the Devonport dockyard where these pair call their home. The model is finished with some custom transfers I designed based upon photos of the prototype after it's refurbishment in 2007. 

IMG_1348.jpg

The glazing and transfers have really finished it off nicely. The wasp stripes aren't quite right, but were done by hand using 2mm wide masking tape cut using my usual technique of a glass sheet, metal rule and sharp blade.

IMG_1349.jpg

The couplings fitted are Smith's screw link - the prototype has a cover over these, and lower buffers for use in the dock-yard, these will be provided in the kit, but I've fitted the screw link. One thing I need to adjust and include is provision for an NEM mount, although the long buffers (as per prototype) may mean normal tension lock couplings aren't quite long enough. Anyhow, all that remains on my model are those few details and a very light touch weathering. More soon...

IMG_1350.jpg

• Like 18
  • Round of applause 1

Thanks Simon - yes, it's a cute, if slightly ugly little prototype. I'm sure it would serve you well.

Mike - not sure if we'll do a fourth Barclay cab, I've been sent details of this style before, I've pencilled it in for 2021. If our new cab, the Pensnett style one does well, then I'll look at it quicker...

In the meantime, with the Peckett post-date out the door, the second version of this kit is going to be a little more involved. The prototype has been painted and weathered, and once I've added the new parts (cab rear hatch and modified step design) to the etch the parts will go into production...

IMG_1422.jpg

I took a few photos, some 'studio shots' to use in the publicity material. These cruel close ups show a few blemished in the weathered finish I need to revisit, but for now they're good enough to illustrate the instructions for the kit.

IMG_1423.jpg

I've finished my own model as 'Hornet' as the last standard gauge industrial steam engine working in the area, locally at Bersham, just south of Wrexham. There are differences, Hornet had a home made chimney (very characterful but damn ugly) a home made cut out on one side of the cab roof to increase door way headroom, and a hatch on the back of the cab (which I dislike)... in later years Hornet also sported wasp striped buffer beams but I chose to not represent these either as I already have locomotives in the fleet with this feature.

IMG_1424.jpg
The cab re-uses the original glazing for the rear spectacles, and glue-n-glaze has been used for the front windows (still slightly wet in these photos, hence why one appears 'white'). The weathering was applied by airbrush and then before it had dried was removed with a sponge dampened with white spirit. This left dirt in the corners and a gentle streaking. A second coat of dirt was then applied to soften the effect and blend things together. Once touch dry I dry brushed the edge of the foot plate and steps with gun-metal.

IMG_1425.jpg

Finally a photo showing Hornet with the non-cut down version of the kit - which shows that the roof line is lower even in the centre of the roof. There is another version I'm considering, there were example with a standard profile roof, dropped to this height. This meant the cab upper sheets were like Hornet, but the lower sheet was taller. This would be an easy mod, as it re-uses a lot of parts from both designs... perhaps one for 2021. In the meantime, if you'd like me to weather and re-finish your own model, any scale, any prototype, get in touch for personal proposal. For now, more soon...

IMG_1419.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 09/10/2020 at 09:25, James Hilton said:

I've finished my own model as 'Hornet' as the last standard gauge industrial steam engine working in the area, locally at Bersham, just south of Wrexham. There are differences, Hornet had a home made chimney (very characterful but damn ugly) a home made cut out on one side of the cab roof to increase door way headroom, and a hatch on the back of the cab (which I dislike)... in later years Hornet also sported wasp striped buffer beams but I chose to not represent these either as I already have locomotives in the fleet with this feature.

A little secret about Hornet's chimney. Most of it's rim was car body filler. It had a huge dent in it. I know that as I filled it when we did the cosmetic restoration in the early 1980s. Used a big tub of Isopon car filler sculptured to shape.

No idea whether they've replaced it or not on it's restoration. I would assume so.

You can see the dent in the two photos of it when stored.

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/peckett-sons-works-no-1935-hornet-0-4-0st/

Jason

On 10/10/2020 at 20:22, Captain Kernow said:

I also like the idea of using a sponge to remove the sprayed-on weathering. Is there any particular type of sponge that you would recommend, please?

I use all sorts, currently just the grey foam that comes in Twelve Commandments stock boxes - I chop it up into small hand sized pieces with a tapered end to a point. It works well - stolen from somewhere else, although I forget where!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good news - everything bar the Peckett cabs is back in stock at the Narrow Planet marketplace - the cabs should be another week or so...

In the meantime, Steve and I have been working on a new website - just a holding page so far:

https://planetindustrials.co.uk

We love industrials, not just the locomotives but the wider railway environment. We've got a few ideas to include beyond the obvious pages on our kits and models, but would love to hear what you'd like to see - you can comment here, Facebook or get in touch via email.

IMG_0470.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Disaster today. My Hibberd Planet kit, 98% finished and looking fabulous needed a quick repair where the cab side & front etched had pulled apart in one corner.

I mistakenly used a large bulldog clip across the whole cab rather than a smaller one just in the corner. 30 seconds later and I had a pile of crushed cab.

gutted.

hopefully it can be straightened out.

8795B3CD-3FC9-462E-A45B-53105F23C4A3.jpeg.45ca18c4a5a1aacf8786edac912a51cb.jpeg

• Friendly/supportive 13

10 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

Disaster today. My Hibberd Planet kit, 98% finished and looking fabulous needed a quick repair where the cab side & front etched had pulled apart in one corner.

I mistakenly used a large bulldog clip across the whole cab rather than a smaller one just in the corner. 30 seconds later and I had a pile of crushed cab.

gutted.

hopefully it can be straightened out.

8795B3CD-3FC9-462E-A45B-53105F23C4A3.jpeg.45ca18c4a5a1aacf8786edac912a51cb.jpeg

Ooops...

If  we can help drop us an email, as it lookslike you've done a great job otherwise...

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 20/11/2020 at 11:54, James Hilton said:

Ooops...

If  we can help drop us an email, as it lookslike you've done a great job otherwise...

A big thank you to Planet Industrials who have been able to make available a new set of cab etches. Repairs will be underway after Xmas to resurrect this little beauty.

I'm looking forward to their new kits to build in 2021 too having found this one fun to do and the end result was superb (before my hamfistedness)

• Like 2

• 2 years later...