KRModels announce a GT3 Model

micklner

A company called KR Models have been advertising on Facebook and are intending to be at Warley I think. They have asked for expressions of interest and there will be something more official from 24th November.They have said they will be offering the opportunity to pay in instalments so not sure if that counts as crowdfunding.

Not sure if they are the same.

Keith Revell of KRModels was at Warley yesterday, promoting this venture.

See below for copies of his flyer:

post-7250-0-52460900-1543257956_thumb.jpg

post-7250-0-16585700-1543256398_thumb.jpg

I asked him what experience he has, and what guarantees he is offering regarding paying up front when he doesn't appear to have a track record of model production. His reply was that his reason for doing this model is because he wants one for his own layout, and that alone is his guarantee that this is a 'safe' venture, as he wouldn't want it to fail because if it does he won't get his either.

Edited by PrestburyJack

• RMweb Gold

Got to admit, a Canadian company ive never heard of, without a track record raises an eyebrow, though £185, spread over milestone payments of the project is much less risk than other projects out there, as long as milestones show progress its not the highest risk project.

Lets see how it pans out, ive registered interest, that costs nothing, lets see if enough interest exists.

Edited by adb968008

Got to admit, a Canadian company ive never heard of, without a track record raises an eyebrow, though £185, spread over milestone payments of the project is much less risk than other projects out there, as long as milestones show progress its not the highest risk project.

Lets see how it pans out, ive registered interest, that costs nothing, lets see if enough interest exists.

From their website:

Please only make an ‘expression’ if you are certain you intend to invest in the model development, as your ‘expression’ may be the one that puts the model into production. Numbers are tight and anyone who drops out or in fact does not have any intention of ordering will be doing the whole project a disservice. Pre-orders will not open until the ‘expression of interest’ level reaches a break-even figure. Once that limit is reached, we will open the system for pre-orders secured with a £50 deposit.

Edited by PrestburyJack

• RMweb Gold

Expressions work both ways.

Do i want a GT3.. oh yes.

Do They need the numbers to commit..oh yes.

They arent unconditionally committing to make it yet, and this is just the feasibility study of what might become a project.

We dont know the logistics that would improve confidence to convert an expression to a deposit, i assume once they get the numbers of interest, we might get to know more about specifications of the model, who will design it, who will make it, what are the milestones and what do we expect to see for the next stage to begin, finally how will it be delivered.

Many of those questions may not concern us, but some do, for example As I said initially, its a Canadian project... do i have to fly to Canada and collect it, or will I have to pay Canada Post, UK import duty, vat and royal mails’ £8 surcharge to recieve it ? Similarly where is my money going.. UK, Canada, China, the Designer ?

Its reasonable at this stage that those questions arent considered or ready to be addressed at this stage, those are the nitty gritty details that presumably will be considered before turning the handle on this project.

I did speak to the guys at Warley this weekend and they sounded very hopeful, but it didnt escape my notice the pitch they occupied was the near enough the same spot of the hall where DToS equally enthusiastically promoted the APT last year with similar gusto.. i was equally interested in that, but then it all started becoming a bit funky, so i decided to pass when it became clear the environment had shifted.

Not to be cynical but maybe we should call that spot Crowdfunders corner ?

But if theres not enough expressions of interest those questions are moot, similarly if its all a bit opaque those EOIs may suffer later.

Expression of interest yes, as long as the i’s and t’s are dotted and theres transparency with a viable plan then why not... time will avail...

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

A company with no track record planning to produce a model of a loco that no longer exists by Q4 2019. He certainly has great optimism. I wish him well, but the fastest projects we've seen from scratch here were at least 2 years unless the CAD work is already done which is fairly cheap and certainly likely to give confidence to a project.

• RMweb Gold

From their website:

Please only make an ‘expression’ if you are certain you intend to invest in the model development, as your ‘expression’ may be the one that puts the model into production. Numbers are tight and anyone who drops out or in fact does not have any intention of ordering will be doing the whole project a disservice. Pre-orders will not open until the ‘expression of interest’ level reaches a break-even figure. Once that limit is reached, we will open the system for pre-orders secured with a £50 deposit.

This text is almost verbatim that from another manufacturer of crowd sourced models website. Could there be a connection?

I dunno; adb968008 asks the right questions.

I would love a GT3. For something such as this, the prices seem reasonable. I’d also hope that success with this project would lead to the other gas turbines. However, KR Models is a complete unknown. If it could get the backing of Rails or Hatton’s or Kernow, I’d be a lot happier. Probably Kernow suffered somewhat from the failure of the Class 74 project and would be reluctant to be involved.

I’m curious. Where does Canada enter the picture? Who is the manufacturer with the great track record he mentions on his website? The website also mentions recording the turbine from locomotive on the stand. What was that? This 5½" gauge one by any chance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e_cvscqGHI

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I dunno; adb968008 asks the right questions.

I would love a GT3. For something such as this, the prices seem reasonable. I’d also hope that success with this project would lead to the other gas turbines. However, KR Models is a complete unknown. If it could get the backing of Rails or Hatton’s or Kernow, I’d be a lot happier. Probably Kernow suffered somewhat from the failure of the Class 74 project and would be reluctant to be involved.

I’m curious. Where does Canada enter the picture? Who is the manufacturer with the great track record he mentions on his website? The website also mentions recording the turbine from locomotive on the stand. What was that? This 5½" gauge one by any chance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e_cvscqGHI

Looks like the model they had on the stand at Warley.

When asked the guy on the stand indicated the sound for GT3 would be derived from this model as no known sound recording exists of the real thing.

I may be wrong but the address given for this business was a Canadian address (but not associated to Rapido.. i did ask), the website itself is registered to godaddy.

As an aside theres a Union Pacific turbine video here, the last few seconds shows why they had a fire extinguisher ready for the model..

https://youtu.be/4Dkw2YWqLyQ

Edited by adb968008

Is it just my PC, or is anyone else struggling to actually submit an 'expression of interest'?

I contacted KR, was sent a link to the web-site (which I had already viewed), and was told to fill in the 'Sign up Now' form.

Even allowing for being absolutely hopeless with anything computer related, I am damned if I can see it.

• RMweb Gold

Is it just my PC, or is anyone else struggling to actually submit an 'expression of interest'?

I contacted KR, was sent a link to the web-site (which I had already viewed), and was told to fill in the 'Sign up Now' form.

Even allowing for being absolutely hopeless with anything computer related, I am damned if I can see it.

At the very bottom of this page, in the pinkish/biege bit of the page, there is a clickable "Sign up now" :

https://krmodels.co.uk/gt3-gas-turbine

• RMweb Gold

They are now doing EOI (expressions of interest) for a Winston Churchill funneral train car to replace the old Triang tooling.

I feel that, that with all these EOIs, we can soon stop doing yearly polls!

I am in for this one - although would rather it was a van than a wagon! Transatlantic sensibilities I know....

This looks like very detailed and well researched gen

http://www.semgonline.com/coach/coupe/PCS-A-S2464.pdf

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

A bit like modelshops putting things like horseboxes in the wagon section.  :nono:

I would prefer it if one of the "big boys" done one as I don't think I want a "Churchill Van" but I would probably have at least three normal ones, which the commissioner seems reluctant to do. The special van had alterations to the doors I believe. I'll wait and see how it progresses, never say never.

Good luck to the bloke doing this. But I think that maybe the GBL would have been a better start than a GT3.

Jason

"Built on a strengthened steam chassis ...."?

Really?

Not to the best of my knowledge, as the WB only matched a 'Manor'.

I'll stick with my Golden Arrow / McGeordie / High Level model.

attachicon.gifpost-2274-0-35805100-1494871312_thumb.jpg

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I'm sure I've seen suggestions in books in the past that the wheel base was the same dimensions as black fives with some suggestion that black fives could be converted to GT3s!

Something entirely impractical at best.

I'm sure I've seen suggestions in books in the past that the wheel base was the same dimensions as black fives with some suggestion that black fives could be converted to GT3s!

Something entirely impractical at best.

There has been a lot of misinformation published about GT3 - but my extensive research indicated that the frames and wheel spacing of GT3 matched nothing except the 'Manors'; certainly not Black or Standard Fives.

Regards,

John Isherwood.