KRModels announce a GT3 Model

micklner

I hope this goes ahead as I have made an Expression of interest in the N Gauge version. I did see the real GT3 several times on the GC at Whetstone (Leicestershire) in the early 60s. By coincidence, Whetstone was where EE developed the propulsion system for GT3 as this plant was where they developed jet engines. The noise was deafening when they ran the jet engine test rig.

Regarding the discussion concerning frames/wheelbase etc.The November 1960 Trains Ilustrated has an article about the development of the loco and states "The power plant has been mounted on a standard BR 4-6-0 frame which BR supplied to EE together with a standard 6-wheeled tender underframe". The March 1961 TI has a follow-up article regarding the start of running trials. As well as lots of technical info this article gives the length over buffers as 68ft 0.5" which I believe is similar to the length of a Clan loco.

Fingers crossed.

David

• Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, Littlethorpe said:

The November 1960 Trains Ilustrated has an article about the development of the loco and states "The power plant has been mounted on a standard BR 4-6-0 frame which BR supplied to EE together with a standard 6-wheeled tender underframe". The March 1961 TI has a follow-up article regarding the start of running trials. As well as lots of technical info this article gives the length over buffers as 68ft 0.5" which I believe is similar to the length of a Clan loco.

It astounds me that this misinformation is still quoted nearly sixty years after it was (unfortunately) published.

A quick check of a diagram of GT3, when compared with those of the BR Standard Classes, will quickly reveal that the axle spacing matches none of them.

In fact, when I was trying to find an RTR chassis to put in my own model of GT3, the only chassis that even vaguely matched was a GWR Manor.

887654851_GT3framesonManordrawing-smallextract.JPG.2b020aa3c5a147e26235b9a3c0e8b024.JPG

As requested much earlier in this thread, please can we put this myth to bed once and for all?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just had an email today (£185 for non-sound model).

Payment of £50 non-refundable deposit to be paid in 28 days

Next payment £70 prob in 2 months.

£65 at some date in future to comlete the manufacturing process

• RMweb Gold

Still dont know whos the manufacturer.

not wholly transparent whos the retailer.

PO BOX 23124 RPO CITADEL , St Albert, Alberta T8N 6Z9 Canada

My heart says yes, my heads still saying no.

obviously theres no full size loco to scan, so I can imagine a CAD taking a considerable amount of research time to create, so why is payment 2 so soon ?

a bit more transparency would give confidence, as i really do want one. A lack of tranparency is a concern in itself.

Edited by adb968008

For what it’s worth, I’m not joining this project. More transparency wouldn’t do it for me. Endorsement by someone trustworthy might make a difference. If the model appears and is well done, then if KR considers a second run, it might be different. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I’ve paid my deposit. First time I’ve been involved in a crowdfunded loco and I’m interested to see how it pans out. Completely the wrong era for me but it’s one of those rule 1 locos. 

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

Hi guys,

What search are you going to do, and what qualifies you to do such a search to provide information regarding this company and project? Genuine question, surely it’s up to individuals to decide now if it’s for them rather than waiting for a third party, yourself as WMC, to validate the product and project. What has your happiness got to do with an unrelated (presumably) companies project?

For me it’s a loco I’d love to have, but currently not prepared to commit without better information from KR regarding the model and whom they’re using to produce it.

Edited by AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

Hi guys, can we stop paying deposits until I look further into this?

Not at all happy at this moment in time.

Are you checking with the FBI?  Or should that be the RCMP?

Hi all, people seem to be shooting the messanger already. But nevertheless, here is what I found today after being asked by a fellow member on what I thought. If I am wrong then I don't have a problem with being wrong. Up to you all to decide.

From what I understand KR Models has been set up by Keith Revell. The website is shown as https://krmodels.co.uk/about

If you click on the about you will see a photograph of Keith Revell. I can find no contact details or address.

If you click on the following link which is from someone raising funds in Alberta Canada to help him get rid of his MS.

http://mssoc.convio.net/site/TR/Walk/AlbertaandNorthwestTerritoriesDivision?px=2806472&pg=personal&fr_id=6323

I believe the website from what I have read is asking for money to be sent to a PO Box in Alberta, Canada. If this is correct then possibly coincidental. You may see that the clothing and watch are very simiar. Not to mention the face!

It may well be that one of the people concerned has been "hacked". In which case I am wrong. I will let you decide.

If I was a Dragon at this stage. I would be "OUT".

kr1.jpg

kr2.JPG

Edited by Widnes Model Centre
Typo
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

23 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Still dont know whos the manufacturer.

Hi,

Judging by the payment information given by Metroland in the post above yours, as well as what seems to be the 'business sensitive' way that it is being dealt with (that may not be the right term, but it's the best I can think of) and the fact that in the interview the founder did with BRM, the word 'he' slipped out when talking about the manufactures says only one person to me........DJ Models.

The payment is very similar to Dave's own structure for the Class 92, Dave doesn't reveal too much about projects on occasion and operates as a one man band (hence the use of the term 'he').

I maybe wrong (I have no other information on it other than guesswork using the information above) , and I don't want to say this is a good or bad decision, but I would say it is DJ Models.

It's a remarkable project and I hope it goes well.

Simon

Edited by St. Simon

• RMweb Premium

Within the last hour KR models has told me via their Facebook feed they’re dealing directly with the factory, there’s no agent between KR and the factory gates. Screen grab attached. How very peculiar.4B8181F0-7DD0-4A09-B20D-5A7959C2A16F.jpeg.258028322698c63725abfac2b63548da.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 3

Well done Sherlock ...... IF, if it is DJM, I'll be happier with that thought rather than just having been stitched up like a kipper !!

Cheers,

Philip

PS: I tried to compare the recent photo of DJ on the APT thread with KR above - though similar, I'm not sure they are the one and the same person.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Having never been involved with a crowd-funding project, is it normal for deposits to be non-refundable?, seems a bit fishy IMHO.

Mike.

Is it a deposit or are you a part purchaser of CAD and other design works ? If the latter when the money is spent it's gone.

IIRC If you are just a 'crowdfunder' paying a deposit then you are entitled to your money back under UK consumer law should the project fail. The issue here though is that you are dealing with a Box number in another country so that may not apply/be too expensive to chase.

Crowdfunding can work well, but there isn't enough info in this project to give me any confidence.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

14 hours ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

Hi all, people seem to be shooting the messanger already. But nevertheless, here is what I found today after being asked by a fellow member on what I thought. If I am wrong then I don't have a problem with being wrong. Up to you all to decide.

From what I understand KR Models has been set up by Keith Revell. The website is shown as https://krmodels.co.uk/about

If you click on the about you will see a photograph of Keith Revell. I can find no contact details or address.

If you click on the following link which is from someone raising funds in Alberta Canada to help him get rid of his MS.

http://mssoc.convio.net/site/TR/Walk/AlbertaandNorthwestTerritoriesDivision?px=2806472&pg=personal&fr_id=6323

I believe the website from what I have read is asking for money to be sent to a PO Box in Alberta, Canada. If this is correct then possibly coincidental. You may see that the clothing and watch are very simiar. Not to mention the face!

It may well be that one of the people concerned has been "hacked". In which case I am wrong. I will let you decide.

If I was a Dragon at this stage. I would be "OUT".

I have no idea why your original post seems to have been deleted. So far as I am concerned, you’re doing us all a big favour. Thank you.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I won't be in I am not a fan of crowd funding and if a crowd funding project was to draw me in I'd need a lot of confidence in the provenance of those asking me to pay their development costs up front, but that's just my own position. Personally I'd be looking for a bit more information up front than is on offer here (well, actually, quite a lot more) and even though £50 isn't that much money neither am I in the habit of throwing £50 notes away (look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves as they say, a lot of truth in that). It doesn't help that crowd funding has a slightly mixed record in OO models, Revolution do it very well but others have not really kept up a good record in terms of delivery. However, it's a free country (or at least it's meant to be) and everybody can make their own choice. One thing I would say is this, be very mindful of where you are shopping, as if the business is in Canada and monies are taken in Canada then anything you think you know about UK consumer protection is null and void in this case.

• Agree 2

I replied to the Deposit Request email to point out that my interest was in the N gauge version. This was the very prompt reply...

Hi David,

Yes, this is a problem with the expression of interest link, it doesn't split between who wants which gauge.  We will be making adjustments over the coming days so that we can target the right customers.  Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Kind Regards

Keith Revell

Managing Director

KR Models

www.krmodels.co.uk

keith@krmodels.co.uk

We dare to build