KRModels announce a GT3 Model

micklner

4 hours ago, polybear said:

Swap a kitbuilt loco of that quality that you've built yourself, is repairable and will probably last forever, for a RTR plastic one?  You've lost me......

/

Exactly. No chance in swapping out the Hush Hush. Just the two that have yet to be built.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Exactly. No chance in swapping out the Hush Hush. Just the two that have yet to be built.

Sorry - misread your earlier post.....:blush:

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hilux5972 said:

If you can build a kit to that quality, then I would build your own and buy one as well. A GT3 and a GT3/1 haha

So would I.  As for the RTR version.....my guess is it's a long way off.....if ever.....

• RMweb Gold
On 05/03/2019 at 22:32, Georgeconna said:

Mr Grilled Rashers,

The KR chap has advised the Locos will  be shipped from China to the UK for distribution worldwide or even outer Bedfordshire.  Similar to other Manufacturers MO.

"The finished models will be shipped from the factory direct to the UK for distribution, therefore you will not need to collect yours from Canada as was previously suggested.  Nor will you be paying the import duty.  The VAT has already been added and will be deducted if you live outside of the EU. Hence you wont have to worry about paying or returning it to China as this Nor will you gave to worry about the imports taxes these will be included in the price points listed."

I'd Certainly love one of these models myself.

All the best.

George.

Hmmm, one of the poker players is hereabouts, I'll wait for the Accurascale version!!

Mike.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, polybear said:

So would I.  As for the RTR version.....my guess is it's a long way off.....if ever.....

I don’t understand how some people can be such pessimists. Last post to Facebook from KR stated that deposits paid was over 63% of those people who expressed an interest, and in less than a week too. Good to see some optimistic people, myself included I might add. 

Edited by Hilux5972
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 08/03/2019 at 16:51, Hilux5972 said:

I don’t understand how some people can be such pessimists. Last post to Facebook from KR stated that deposits paid was over 63% of those people who expressed an interest, and in less than a week too. Good to see some optimistic people, myself included I might add. 

I really do hope that in the interests of those who have paid deposits this project does come good and the end result is what everyone is hoping for.  However, whilst KR Models have posted on here, I don't recall seeing anything that gives me a warm feeling regarding relevant experience and/or qualifications for designing such products.  KR Models did however post the following: "I am an independent contractor that has purchased drawings to have a factory build the GT3 from these drawings".

My thoughts are that if it was as straightforward a process as that then the likes of Bachmann, Hornby etc. wouldn't need design teams.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, polybear said:

My thoughts are that if it was as straightforward a process as that then the likes of Bachmann, Hornby etc. wouldn't need design teams.

IRM/Accurascale are a team of three, Cavalex are two guys, they've done alright so far without a cast of (metaphorical) thousands behind them. Maybe some parts of the work is contracted out (CAD etc..)

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Sails said:

Maybe some parts of the work is contracted out (CAD etc..)

Both of the named parties have good in-house skills and experience in that respect, maybe part of the reason for having the confidence to deliver the projects.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 04/03/2019 at 06:42, KR Models said:

I am an independent contractor that has purchased drawings to have a factory build the GT3 from these drawings.

This interests me somewhat.

Received wisdom is that the original drawings did not survive.

When building my model, all that I could source were a couple of published diagrams from the time that GT3 was introduced. I am aware that there have been more recent drawings produce, but their accuracy is, to say the least, questionable. (One had the coupling rod bearings on the axle centres, with no crankpin throw whatsoever)!!!

Please could you let us know where drawings can be purchased? (.... or are these the drawings produced for the well-known, large scale, gas-turbine powered model?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Both of the named parties have good in-house skills and experience in that respect, maybe part of the reason for having the confidence to deliver the projects.

Thanks but I was referring to KR models for CAD as he said that once the first phase of deposits was received the CAD work could begin

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, Sails said:

Thanks but I was referring to KR models for CAD as he said that once the first phase of deposits was received the CAD work could begin

I was addressing your reference to Accurascale and Cavalex to advise they they have those resources as it sounded as though you were aware that they had.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Sails said:

IRM/Accurascale are a team of three, Cavalex are two guys, they've done alright so far without a cast of (metaphorical) thousands behind them. Maybe some parts of the work is contracted out (CAD etc..)

For accuracy we're actually a team of 6 :)

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

If you have the time and the patience to go through the NRM archives, you can get the original drawings for the GT3.  Then you approach a factory, and say, 'build this', pay them some money and 14 months down the line you have a 20ft container with trains in it.  That's the simplistic approach.  

On 08/03/2019 at 09:40, Hilux5972 said:

If you can build a kit to that quality, then I would build your own and buy one as well. A GT3 and a GT3/1 haha

The GT3 kit is a Golden Arrow one which will be something of a challenge to match the Hush Hush in terms of detail and quality. The Fell will be all but scratch built, but uses a lot of RTR parts to do it. Two Hornby 08 chassis will be cut and shut togethor to form the main 8 wheel chassis block.

In both cases, I feel RTR would be better but obviously more expensive.

On 08/03/2019 at 11:09, polybear said:

If I knuckle down to it, mine could be done within weeks but I'm still missing the paint. And I'll probably be distracted by other projects (DCC chip adding, a mini cement works for those CEMFLOs etc...). I,ve had the bits for a couple of years already!

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

Are you aware Mike Edge (Judith Edge Kits) has recently released a kit for the Fell?

Cheers

Paul

Were Heljan aware Judith Edge made a kit for the Heljan Class 05 shunter?

I fear you are comparing apples with oranges here Paul.

Mike.

4 hours ago, KR Models said:

If you have the time and the patience to go through the NRM archives, you can get the original drawings for the GT3.

That's great to know - I'm surprised that this isn't better known as it's been said, repeatedly, that the drawings were destroyed.

Thanks for the info.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Were Heljan aware Judith Edge made a kit for the Heljan Class 05 shunter?

I fear you are comparing apples with oranges here Paul.

Mike.

Hi

Someone  mentioned scratchbuilding a Fell therefore I thought it a good idea to point out that a kit exists that was all.

Cheers

Paul

4 hours ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

Are you aware Mike Edge (Judith Edge Kits) has recently released a kit for the Fell?

Cheers

Paul

The is interesting to know. Be interesting to see details of the kit. Thanks for the tip.

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

The is interesting to know. Be interesting to see details of the kit. Thanks for the tip.

Hi

There are details on this thread

The link above shows the finished model

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus
  • Thanks 1

Hello Keith

Since KR Models is an unknow . You have no track record or previous products to show . What can we expect from KR models on the GT3

Yes a speck sheet would be a good start missing from your website.

A speck sheet only paints a bit of the pitcher. Were do you see your model , At the bottom end we could say 1980s Hornby good for the day .Moving up Hornbys railroad speck . Then topping out we could have Scale trains big blow or high end ROCO etc . Note not judging any loco but they are all at diffrent prices and diffrent quality. Sorry had to use Overseas locos for Top end as I have not modeled Uk for some time but am returning to Uk models
What featurs are you going to have . working lights ?cap lights ? sprung buffers ? etc etc the list gos on . What raidus will it run on ? What sound features etc
Here is a speck list from another croud funding company Accurascale . If I was to invest In there project I  can see stright away what speck of loco I am getting .

https://accurascale.co.uk/collections/british-rail-class-92/products/92022-charles-dickens

This kind of info I would expect on your website with some mock up drawings and more information on the model .

Your price of £185 non sound and £285 Sound does put near the top end UK market price. will we be getting high quality for this ?
Since Kr Models is an unknown what happens if some one is not happy with there model ,can it be returned for a full refund ?

weather it be in China or the UK will KR models be inspecting each model prior to shipping? By KR models I mean you and not the factory. As Chines quality control can be very hit or miss.

Regard

John

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, oleander said:

Here is a speck list from another croud funding company Accurascale

Accurascale is not a crowdfunding business. The abbreviation for specification is spec.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1