KRModels announce a GT3 Model

micklner

15 hours ago, cctransuk said:

It was also said that "As you can see the chassis is almost complete and the basic shape of the body is nearly there.  In a few weeks, the CAD work will be complete and the Tooling starts in July".  

As someone who has modelled this prototype, I feel these statements to be optimistic in the extreme.

I watch and wait!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

John, we are making progress, and it was more to show that we are moving forward.  It's a marathon, not a sprint.  We HAVE to get it right the first time or we will fail as a company.  Have some faith.

15 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Good to see the CADs underway but would agree, the several weeks to July seems short to get tooling underway. Especially as some thoughts on how many parts, how to produce each part, order of assembly etc have yet to be thought through - so good deal of work still required. (And doubtless some checking the CADs are correct needs to be done too - otherwise it would quite quickly become the "not the definitive model we had hoped for" if features are missing, incorrect, incorrect size etc!). 

Good for KR Models if they achieve all that so quickly, but no bad thing if we loose a month or two either.

It's not been easy to get this far, but we are moving forward and the July window for the start of the tooling is a goal, along with our final delivery schedule of April/May 2020.  At least the rivet counters can't have too much complain over, they have nothing to refer to.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, KR Models said:

It's not been easy to get this far, but we are moving forward and the July window for the start of the tooling is a goal, along with our final delivery schedule of April/May 2020.  At least the rivet counters can't have too much complain over, they have nothing to refer to.  

Don't worry, they'll find something.

Mike.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Don't worry, they'll find something.

Mike.

Given the number of photos and documents concerning GT3; (I have 104);  it won't be difficult if there are any to find.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Given the number of photos and documents concerning GT3; (I have 104);  it won't be difficult if there are any to find.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I hope you’ve been kind enough to offer them those 104 images to help with the CAD. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I can't - they're copyrighted.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I think you will find that you can. The offence would be for them to reproduce those images as images. To use them as aids in creating something else, their design (for which they will own the IPR),  is not a copyright infringement.

Jim 

• Agree 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, jim.snowdon said:

I think you will find that you can. The offence would be for them to reproduce those images as images. To use them as aids in creating something else, their design (for which they will own the IPR),  is not a copyright infringement.

Incorrect. Such use would not be classed as private use or research; it's for commercial ends and passing material on would be part of a breach as well as its end usage.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, jim.snowdon said:

Jim 

Many of the images were shared with me on the basis that they were for my own personal use; I have no intention whatsoever of breaking that trust.

Any competent manufacturer could replicate my own research, and will have nothing to fear from those of us who care about the fidelity of models, IF that research is translated into accurate tooling.

Anyway, we were told earlier that KRmodels have researched GT3 at the (N)RM, and have drawings; (that no-one had previously managed to root out, it seems).

As I said earlier - I watch and wait, hoping to be proved wrong in my scepticism.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

Many of the images were shared with me on the basis that they were for my own personal use; I have no intention whatsoever of breaking that trust.

That is a bit different to copyright, and if you had said that to start with, I would have understood.

Jim

• Agree 1

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, jim.snowdon said:

That is a bit different to copyright, 

No, that is copyright law. The donor specified terms of use, not that he legally had to. 

I don't get why so many people don't understand the relevant law and conditions or choose to apply their own version of it. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, jf2682 said:

so many talking like experts on the subject because they are well read etc etc. 

Because I get annoyed when people help themselves to my material without acknowledgement or consideration. You'd be OK with me popping round yours and helping myself to what I fancy? No?

Do feel free to apologise for thinking it's acceptable.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, jf2682 said:

My comments really belong in the rant and rave section but here goes.  The ability of the English to box themselves in never ceases to amaze me.  "You can't do this" or "you can't do that", at every turn, and so many talking like experts on the subject because they are well read etc etc.  Here is another person trying to make a go of something and so many people acting as unofficial consultants, lawyers, bankers,  & accountants.

Hypothetically, if I were ever to attempt to make a model on a cottage industry scale (or full blown commercial) the last thing I would ever do is announce it ahead of time.  By posting these future models on a forum, I think we are setting things back to the old days when model makers produced items with no regard for what buyers wanted.

Then you take all the risk yourself as the manufacturer with no idea if you are going to sell any. You need to announce in advance to drum up interest

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Only if it's there (or not).

Regrettably, as has been proved more than once on this very forum, people have found a fault with either a completed model or drawing and then have to have it pointed out to them that they are the ones actually in the wrong, that was the point I was alluding to.

Mike.

On 13/05/2019 at 15:11, cctransuk said:

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Oh John, even the NRM doesn't have 104, we're doing ok thanks.

9 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Any competent manufacturer could replicate my own research, and will have nothing to fear from those of us who care about the fidelity of models, IF that research is translated into accurate tooling.

Anyway, we were told earlier that KRmodels have researched GT3 at the (N)RM, and have drawings; (that no-one had previously managed to root out, it seems).

As I said earlier - I watch and wait, hoping to be proved wrong in my scepticism.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

It took a lot of time to collate the relevant material to even reach the decision of embarking on this model, not to watch it fail.  

Edited by KR Models

6 hours ago, jf2682 said:

My comments really belong in the rant and rave section but here goes.  The ability of the English to box themselves in never ceases to amaze me.  "You can't do this" or "you can't do that", at every turn, and so many talking like experts on the subject because they are well read etc etc.  Here is another person trying to make a go of something and so many people acting as unofficial consultants, lawyers, bankers,  & accountants.

Hypothetically, if I were ever to attempt to make a model on a cottage industry scale (or full blown commercial) the last thing I would ever do is announce it ahead of time.  By posting these future models on a forum, I think we are setting things back to the old days when model makers produced items with no regard for what buyers wanted.

Actually, we didn't start this post.  But we had to announce our intention to build the GT3 as we had no idea it would sell.  Ok, it's not to everyone's taste and therefore research had to be done.  Our initial investment was purely to find out was there a possible market for this model, we have since been proven correct.  I'm not even going to mention just how many other models have been very sketchy in their interpretation of the actual example.  

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Regrettably, as has been proved more than once on this very forum, people have found a fault with either a completed model or drawing and then have to have it pointed out to them that they are the ones actually in the wrong, that was the point I was alluding to.

Mike.

Should the model be built to drawing, or how they actually were in real life?  The two were often dissimilar....

17 hours ago, jf2682 said:

By posting these future models on a forum, I think we are setting things back to the old days when model makers produced items with no regard for what buyers wanted.

Eh?  Is it just me???

• Agree 4