KRModels announce a GT3 Model

micklner

1 minute ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Keith or Michael if you were to upload a video of the GT3 running under its own power it would cut out a lot of the debate here and would also enable me (and probaly many others) to get off the fence and place an order before hour deadline.

We do have a video, but the file type for it is unsupported. Sent it to Andy in hopes he can figure something out for us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Keith or Michael if you were to upload a video of the GT3 running under its own power it would cut out a lot of the debate here and would also enable me (and probaly many others) to get off the fence and place an order before your deadline.

The debate is two people, just to put it into perspective.

There have been more than that saying they will buy it now after seeing the samples.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Fwiw this weekend Ive seen EPs for:

GWR Railcar / class 86 / 33/ NER Railcar (Heljan)
At least 8x GWR Moguls / 2x Class 29 (Dapol)

At least 3x J27, N7 (Oxford)

6201/41xx (Hornby)

Crane,117/158/94xx/2Hap (Bachmann)

none of these were running either... indeed the painted Moguls didnt have motors in.

Give them a break, if they have only just got them, let them test it behind closed doors... thats what everyone does first. I think its safe to say having got this far, they fully intend to make it with a motor and one that works.

• Agree 6

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

The exhibition hall's Safety Officer would almost certainly veto that.

On what grounds? We are talking 12v, not an uncommon voltage in the hall that weekend, nor a dangerous one.

Finding a 12V battery if you don't know the area might be harder, especially with the deadline of setup time. Then you've got to rig up cables, but again, deadlines. Oh, and you didn't bring any tools for the job so you'll need to borrow/buy some.

Then you have it working on the stand and someone gets to spend all day running the thing back and forth (yes, rolling road, but you've got to find one and buy/borrow one) for every new person who comes along and says, "Can I see it work then?" rather than talking to the customers. By the end of the show, the pre-production model is well thrashed and you haven't had the chance to carry out the planned controlled testing on gradients and with stock.

• RMweb Gold

Well done Keith,can't wait for my GT3................now for the Fell!!, I love this brave approach to manufacture. I reckon you're on a winner.

Despite the skeptics, I reckon these unusual one offs are very attractive propositions.

Rgds.........Mike

Edited by ikks
  • Agree 2

On the strength of the photos on here and the fact that the KR Models website now takes credit card payments, I have placed an order for GT3 and also expressed an interest in the Fell. Thanks to everyone who posted info from Warley - I wasn't able to visit this year.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

The question remains: what is its slow running like? 

I can't tell you; no-one can at present but I'm sure when there's material to evidence such it will appear here - just saying before gwr-fan decides it doesn't run slowly because he hasn't seen it run slowly yet. 

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy, don't want to sound like some sycophant but your balanced views certainly help someone from the Antipodes, thus cannot be in attendance,to understand and appreciate what happened over there especially in respect of KR.

Thank You............Rgds Mike

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I can't tell you; no-one can at present but I'm sure when there's material to evidence such it will appear here - just saying before gwr-fan decides it doesn't run slowly because he hasn't seen it run slowly yet. 

Thank you, Andy. I hope something appears before the deadline expires. I was firmly on the wrong side of the fence but I’ve now climbed onto it. Compared to the early days, the project looks a lot more convincing than it did. I chatted to you about the gas turbines early on during the APT-E launch – your prediction that they would be made is coming true suddenly and rapidly. I should hate to miss GT3 but I’d hate to loose (or waste) the money more.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

32 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Does it go like the clappers though :D

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

the attitude of people who ask the impossible then want a discount 

I witnessed this at the NEC - a customer wanted a particular loco but wasn't prepared to pay the asking price as he had seen it £30 less online. Trader told him to order it when he got home but it then turned out that although he had found it cheaper elsewhere, they were actually out of stock. Trader then suggested he might like to visit the Bachmann returns stand at the opposite end of the hall - I wonder if he ever came back . . . . 

• Funny 5

2 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

I witnessed this at the NEC - a customer wanted a particular loco but wasn't prepared to pay the asking price as he had seen it £30 less online. Trader told him to order it when he got home but it then turned out that although he had found it cheaper elsewhere, they were actually out of stock. Trader then suggested he might like to visit the Bachmann returns stand at the opposite end of the hall - I wonder if he ever came back . . . . 

Rails were doing brisk business with their Heljan 009 loco at £130 on Saturday, bit of a buzz around the 009 area.

Online these were still £150 with Rails, so there are bargains to be had at Warley if you look.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Happens all the time. Years ago I was chatting to the chap who runs the pet shop in Hucknall, old lady in the shop complaining about the price of xyz doggy chow stating that it's x cheaper in Wilko's. On challenged to go and buy it from WIlco's then was of course told "Oh they've sold out"

The laws supply and demand in a nutshell :lol:

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RedgateModels said:

Happens all the time. Years ago I was chatting to the chap who runs the pet shop in Hucknall, old lady in the shop complaining about the price of xyz doggy chow stating that it's x cheaper in Wilko's. On challenged to go and buy it from WIlco's then was of course told "Oh they've sold out"

The laws supply and demand in a nutshell :lol:

Airlines are great for that to... £10 flights to anywhere.

Trouble is Anywhere doesn’t seem to have an Airport or any flights to it.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

On what grounds? We are talking 12v, not an uncommon voltage in the hall that weekend, nor a dangerous one.

Grounds? Grounds?  Safety Officers don't need grounds.  All they need is yet another excuse to justify their positions..... ;)

Too late - I'm gone :jester:

• Funny 1

Just to clarify a very pertinent point.  In a posting I mentioned that the stand had a non-running model on display.  I had not read any reports of anyone seeing the model run and did a search and there were no returns of anyone witnessing the model run.  At no point did I state that the model was not motorised nor did I demand to see a running model.  I actually praised the model for the stage of development carried out and the innovative design such as the electrical connection to the tender.  Read the transcript as they say in the U.S.,  at no point did I criticise the model.  If no reports of witnessing the model running then motorised or not it is a non-running model until it is verified to be operational.  An administrator criticised me demanding proof of my assertion that it was a non-running model,  so I requested a response to anyone seeing the model actually run.  The administrator stated that a video would be made of an interview with the manufacturer later that day and a rolling road test run would be viewed.  The test run never occurred.  The assertion implied that I had stated that basically the model was not motorised.  At no point did I make that assertion.  At no point did I demand to see a running model and yet the cult groupies have passed snide,  undeserved remarks with a poor attempt at humour.  

The manufacturer has provided a factory test run video of the model prior shipping to the UK and I stated in response to Andy's posting of a video being provided that I would not criticise the model's running ability and thus contrary to an attempt at humour by certain responses will make no comment, positive or otherwise.   At no point did I criticise the model,  nor make an assertion that the model did not have a drive train and my response of a non-running model was based on the fact that at the time no witnesses had come forward verifying the status of the model.  Perhaps,  if instead of non-running I could have substituted "static" but then the term static has a definite connotation of being non-motorised.

I feel that the company missed a golden opportunity as if the model could have been shown running then it would have boosted sales.  Keith has explained that the model was received just prior the exhibition, shipped directly from China and no chance had been available to test the model prior the display,  so I presume the decision was made to display the model in a non-running state.   The model on display apparently is an all axle driven model and in the interview with Andy,   Keith details an exhaustive test procedure to verify the reliability of the drive.  As production will not commence until after resumption of work after the Chinese New Year holidays,  then the company has several months to test the drive and determine the pros and cons of a single axle or all axle drive mechanism.  

• Friendly/supportive 3