KRModels announce a GT3 Model

micklner

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, GWR-fan said:

the cult groupies have passed snide,  undeserved remarks with a poor attempt at humour.  

That is quite an insinuation....

groupie

noun

INFORMAL

a young woman who regularly follows a pop group or other celebrity, especially in the hope of having a sexual relationship with them.

I'll have you know that Phil is not my type.......I make no comment about Andy..

As for poor humour, that's about as good as it gets.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, rorz101uk said:

This just a suggestion, is there a chance to have an on/off switch for the tail Lights on the Tender/fuel tank? 

Some decoders offer this. It is ridiculous to have rear lights showing on a loco hauling a train, yet there are many locos which offer no alternative, especially on DC.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Some decoders offer this. It is ridiculous to have rear lights showing on a loco hauling a train, yet there are many locos which offer no alternative, especially on DC.

A pair of snips (or a soldering iron) work well sorting that problem, it also solves the issue of the model having ridiculously bright tail lights whereas on the real thing they were barely visible. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, oleander said:

From KR Face book page for non Face book users. I was there on Saturday and did not see this. Just copyed the photo.
You do have cab lights.
John

gt3.jpg

I seriously doubt that the cab lights of the prototype were as bright as that - but then, IMHO, that is the fundamental problem with all lighting on model rolling stock.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 6
  • Funny 1

21 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I seriously doubt that the cab lights of the prototype were as bright as that - but then, IMHO, that is the fundamental problem with all lighting on model rolling stock.

Agreed. If the cab light was that bright it would impair viewing outside...including warning signals. I suspect that it would be bright enough to see the gauges, not read a novel or darn socks.

Edited by truffy
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 25/11/2019 at 13:12, Phil Parker said:

On what grounds? We are talking 12v, not an uncommon voltage in the hall that weekend, nor a dangerous one.

Finding a 12V battery if you don't know the area might be harder, especially with the deadline of setup time. Then you've got to rig up cables, but again, deadlines. Oh, and you didn't bring any tools for the job so you'll need to borrow/buy some.

Then you have it working on the stand and someone gets to spend all day running the thing back and forth (yes, rolling road, but you've got to find one and buy/borrow one) for every new person who comes along and says, "Can I see it work then?" rather than talking to the customers. By the end of the show, the pre-production model is well thrashed and you haven't had the chance to carry out the planned controlled testing on gradients and with stock.

Volts are not the issue. It's the amps that are dangerous if folk are talking about car batteries, the most common 12v form.

And then there are the issues around potential acid leak, overheating and even explosion.

There are 12v batteries available for alarm systems that would be suitable but certainly not easy to find at short notice.

KR Models had their first full EP of their highly appreciated GT3 Gas Turbine on display over the course of the weekend at the Warley National Model Railway Exhibition 2019.
This stunning model features a 21 pin socket, 5 pole motor, cast chassis, etched grills, sprung buffers, working cab and directional lighting. The model will also be available Fitted with DCC Sound. 
In this video we take a closer look at the first EP on the KR Models stand (Please note this is still an EP so there maybe things still to tweak).
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

17 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Dear John,

No doubt!

That is (yet another) benefit of DCC, if you use a decent quality decoder, you can lower the voltage supplied to such auxiliaries. Problem solved by tweaking a CV or two.

Otherwise, use a quick dab of yellow paint, that will soon sort such lighting issues out.

Cheers,

John.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Allegheny1600 said:

Dear John,

No doubt!

That is (yet another) benefit of DCC, if you use a decent quality decoder, you can lower the voltage supplied to such auxiliaries. Problem solved by tweaking a CV or two.

Otherwise, use a quick dab of yellow paint, that will soon sort such lighting issues out.

Cheers,

John.

John,

I am steadfastly of a DC / no lights / no sound disposition - so a pair of wire snips or a soldering iron are the only 'tweaking' tools that I need !

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

John,

I am steadfastly of a DC / no lights / no sound disposition - so a pair of wire snips or a soldering iron are the only 'tweaking' tools that I need !

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Fair enough!

The simplest solution is usually the best.

Cheers,

John Edge.

On a Farish 37 I bought I disabled the (overbright) lights with just a couple of small pieces of paper slipped between the body/chassis contacts. The advantage over snipping is that if I sell the model I can simply slip the bits of paper back out again.

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 25/11/2019 at 08:27, GWR-fan said:

Last years exhibition had a brochure and this year a static model

That's bloody good going if you ask me. Consider how many years it took certain other projects just to get some CAD done, what Keith has achieved in the timeframe is commendable.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

IIRC tomorrow (30/11/19) is the last day to pre-order one of these locos, I was initially wanting an N gauge one, but I also heard that the N gauge one had barely any interest.

So does the last day mean I have to pay in full tomorrow if I order one or is there still an installment plan available? I need an installment plan as I have the Accurascale Class 92, Accurascale Class 37 and Cavalex 91 or pre-order also.

10 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

IIRC tomorrow (30/11/19) is the last day to pre-order one of these locos, I was initially wanting an N gauge one, but I also heard that the N gauge one had barely any interest.

So does the last day mean I have to pay in full tomorrow if I order one or is there still an installment plan available? I need an installment plan as I have the Accurascale Class 92, Accurascale Class 37 and Cavalex 91 or pre-order also.

One would assume pay in full but I would contact KR Models direct to confirm. Although I emailed them to upgrade from analogue to sound and haven't had a response yet so.. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

The installment payments were only if you signed up to crowdfund at the start. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Yes you would have to pay infull .

Stage 1 cad ,done. Stage 2 Tooling, done. Stage 3 manufaturing about to start.

Kr models want people to pay before moving on to the next stages. So as we are now about to Start Stage 3 the final stage thats Full payment. Unless KR does something special for you.
John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

So does the last day mean I have to pay in full tomorrow if I order one or is there still an installment plan available? I need an installment plan......

2 hours ago, oleander said:

Yes you would have to pay infull ......... So as we are now about to Start Stage 3 the final stage thats Full payment. Unless KR does something special for you.
John

Very unlikely that MGR H would get an instalment plan now.  If KR does something "special" then everyone else who has paid in full, including yours truly, will be wanting the same. 

Hope you can raise the funds MGR as the GT3 is an interesting model.