KRModels announce a GT3 Model

micklner

35 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

- Finally, may I ask what gearbox was that model running with? Either way it seems to run smoothly with no sign of the rods fighting the wheels. 

Cheers 

Yes, I’d be curious to know which of the two samples was chosen i.e. the one with rod drive or the one with internal gearing to all driving wheels.

I note the Royal Train headcode. Will there be closed discs in the accessory pack and will they be easy to fix in place?

I must say the running and decorated sample looks and sounds impressive.

3 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Yes, I’d be curious to know which of the two samples was chosen i.e. the one with rod drive or the one with internal gearing to all driving wheels.

I note the Royal Train headcode. Will there be closed discs in the accessory pack and will they be easy to fix in place?

The Headcode is the other thing I forgot to question as I noticed all the lights are visible as it came from under the bridge

1 hour ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Excellent to see the painted sample. Looks and sounds great, pleased I upgraded to a sound model now. 

Couple of points I have. 

- Do the coupling rods use crankpin nuts or press fit pins? Don't think this has ever been mentioned previously.

- Assume if a DCC sound model we're to be swapped to DC that a standard 21 pin blanking plug can be used?

- Finally, may I ask what gearbox was that model running with? Either way it seems to run smoothly with no sign of the rods fighting the wheels. 

Cheers 

The 'crankpin nuts' should be large diameter, bowl-shaped roller bearing covers : -

1277488228_Couplingrods.jpg.0fcbe57fc3a572e97c075764292a53b0.jpg

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 2

I paid for my GT3 with sound in full at Warley and after viewing the video i'm so pleased I did, I kept quite on this thread as I trusted Keith unlike a few on here who, in some cases were in my opinion down right rude towards the guy and very undeserved to be honest so, well done Keith, congratulations on a fine looking model and I wish you every success with it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

33 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Just an observation from the video - does the bogie front wheel appear to jump a little when it hits bends, or is it my aging and tired eyes?

That caught my eye too.

John isherwood.

58 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Just an observation from the video - does the bogie front wheel appear to jump a little when it hits bends, or is it my aging and tired eyes?

Yes but I think the model is being put through some rather tight curves.

1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

Pretty sure the bogie is tilting slightly lifting the nearside bogie wheels off the rail, probable cause the outside frame of the bogie on the 'out of sight side' snagging momentarily on the underside of the model as it traverses to take the curve. Should be simple enough to rectify before the model goes to production.

Neat looking model altogether.

Congratulations to Keith for getting this far with what looks like and sounds like a great model. Obviously there are a few issues to be ironed out, but that's what a pre-production sample is for, isn't it! 

I think most of the issues have been mentioned and as far as I can see are (in no particular order):

Glossy paint finish

Bogie jumping on curves

Larger roller bearing 'hub caps'

Headcode discs, as in are they changeable, I feel most people would want a Class 1 display

Are there any crew in the cab and if not, how easy is it to fit them?

It would also be interesting to know what drive train is being used as there was a lot of debate about it.

So quite a small list really in comparison to what other well known manufacturers have palmed us off with. I think Keith is right when he says he would rather 'it right than quick'. This model is what his reputation rests on and I'd rather it took another month or so to get right than have it quick.

I look forward to reading Keith's reply and am looking forward to receiving my model in due course.

Well done Keith

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Wagpnmaster said:

Congratulations to Keith for getting this far with what looks like and sounds like a great model. Obviously there are a few issues to be ironed out, but that's what a pre-production sample is for, isn't it! 

I think most of the issues have been mentioned and as far as I can see are (in no particular order):

Glossy paint finish

Bogie jumping on curves

Larger roller bearing 'hub caps'

Headcode discs, as in are they changeable, I feel most people would want a Class 1 display

Are there any crew in the cab and if not, how easy is it to fit them?

It would also be interesting to know what drive train is being used as there was a lot of debate about it.

So quite a small list really in comparison to what other well known manufacturers have palmed us off with. I think Keith is right when he says he would rather 'it right than quick'. This model is what his reputation rests on and I'd rather it took another month or so to get right than have it quick.

I look forward to reading Keith's reply and am looking forward to receiving my model in due course.

Well done Keith

I've mentioned the front bogie tilting/jumping on the first curve in the video on YouTube and it's on the list of fixes to happen for final production. I also asked about what kind of packaging will the GT3 be coming in and it will similar to what hattons and Dapol use with a hard box etc. 

Roll on the next couple of months so we all have our what's shaping up to be great version of the GT3. Got to get my hands on some rolling stock for it now.

Congratulations Keith and Michael.

Regards Gary 

• RMweb Gold

Got awfully confused on my first viewing. The sounds were all over the place...then I realised that I also had a YouTube Class 56 film playing in the background.....Very impressed and looking forward to my non-sound fitted one.

• Funny 4

4 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Pretty sure the bogie is tilting slightly lifting the nearside bogie wheels off the rail, probable cause the outside frame of the bogie on the 'out of sight side' snagging momentarily on the underside of the model as it traverses to take the curve.

Mine did that, until I made a few 'fag-paper thickness' modifications to the underside of the body.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Excellent to see the painted sample. Looks and sounds great, pleased I upgraded to a sound model now. 

Couple of points I have. 

- Do the coupling rods use crankpin nuts or press fit pins? Don't think this has ever been mentioned previously.

- Assume if a DCC sound model we're to be swapped to DC that a standard 21 pin blanking plug can be used?

Cheers 

Nuts

Yes

We're still testing.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, No Decorum said:

9 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Has it got round head buffers or is that the way they look because of the video?

They're oval buffers

8 hours ago, No Decorum said:

There will be two sets of head code discs.  A white set and a coloured set to cover the lights.  That way you can select which head code you want.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Bucoops said:

This is one of the fixes we are looking into 

8 hours ago, cctransuk said:

The 'crankpin nuts' should be large diameter, bowl-shaped roller bearing covers : -

1277488228_Couplingrods.jpg.0fcbe57fc3a572e97c075764292a53b0.jpg

Regards,

John Isherwood.

We can't do that due to a sizing issue.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, KR Models said:

There will be two sets of head code discs.  A white set and a coloured set to cover the lights.  That way you can select which head code you want.

Will they be "closed" discs or coloured versions of what's fitted to the sample in the video? . Also how are they fitted o the loco? Cheers

47 minutes ago, KR Models said:

Not sure that I follow that !

My model has conventional crankpins covered by resin-cast 'hub caps'; the 'hub caps' would be very easy to injection mould in polystyrene or ABS.

They could be supplied as a owner-fitted accessory.

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Posted 55 minutes ago (edited)

1 hour ago, KR Models said:

My model has conventional crankpins covered by resin-cast 'hub caps'; the 'hub caps' would be very easy to injection mould in polystyrene or ABS.

John Isherwood.

Edited 44 minutes ago by cctransuk

I seem to recall some time ago that John posted about the 'hub caps' fitted to his kit built GT3 and mentioned were he had obtained them from. As I can't find the information now, can he enlighten us in the event that KR cannot supply same. Thank you.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, locoman462 said:

Posted 55 minutes ago (edited)

1 hour ago, KR Models said:

John Isherwood.

Edited 44 minutes ago by cctransuk

I seem to recall some time ago that John posted about the 'hub caps' fitted to his kit built GT3 and mentioned were he had obtained them from. As I can't find the information now, can he enlighten us in the event that KR cannot supply same. Thank you.

Goos evening locoman I had a dig through and ive managed to find the post you were talking about.

https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/product/2279/

Hope that helps

Regards Gary 

Edited by gary_lner
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, locoman462 said:

DELETED - INCORRECT INFORMATION

Edited by cctransuk