KRModels announce a GT3 Model

micklner

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

They are indeed - but can be adapted.

I fitted them to my own model by plugging the hole for the pin, and forming a hollow in the back to provide clearance for the crankpin nut.

It can be done - it just takes a little modelling; not everything that comes out of a packet is ready for immediate use.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Thanks for the info John. Can you recall how you formed the hollow in the back without damaging the cap?

10 hours ago, locoman462 said:

Thanks for the info John. Can you recall how you formed the hollow in the back without damaging the cap?

Not off hand - but if I had to do it again I'd use a ball-ended burr in a mini-drill, run slow.

I'd support the moulding on something softish, perhaps the ball of a finger, to distribute the loading.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I'd support the moulding on something softish, perhaps the ball of a finger, to distribute the loading.

Maybe pushed into some blue tack ? keeps your fingers away from the burr.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

Maybe pushed into some blue tack ? keeps your fingers away from the burr.

I like to live dangerously - at my age, you have to get your thrills somehow!

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Barry O said:

Something was bugging me about the video. I have left it for a while and now have gone back to it. I take it this is a fully geared together version? There is a bit of gearbox wind up when it sets off.  Sorry it is the engineer coming out in me!

Baz

It would be interesting to see how it performs on gradients as it has presumably been tested on them?  That's the real challenge with geared drives judging by some past examples of doing things that way.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

It would be interesting to see how it performs on gradients as it has presumably been tested on them?  That's the real challenge with geared drives judging by some past examples of doing things that way.

It most certainly sorts the good quality drives from the poor. The acid test is descending the gradient with a following load. If it can do that without  cogging it’ll be worth every penny.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/06/2020 at 14:36, Barry O said:

Something was bugging me about the video. I have left it for a while and now have gone back to it. I take it this is a fully geared together version? There is a bit of gearbox wind up when it sets off.  Sorry it is the engineer coming out in me!

Baz

The way that is sets off is because of the sound decoder.  The sound has to reach the point where is can actually set off.  The non-sound version doesn't do this.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Interesting decision when I think they initially said fully geared drive was preferable. 

That was their initial plan, but they listened to the points made, and in fairness, ordered both types of drive for evaluation and testing.  Having done that evaluation and testing they have made a decision to go with the single drive and con rods.

Personally I am happy as that would have been my preference.

• Agree 3

34 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

That was their initial plan, but they listened to the points made, and in fairness, ordered both types of drive for evaluation and testing.  Having done that evaluation and testing they have made a decision to go with the single drive and con rods.

Personally I am happy as that would have been my preference.

On page 43/ on the 30th May they posted this:

"So far as the track testing is still going on, the full gear box is looking the better of the two options.  It appears to be smoother and slightly less jerky." 

Which is what I was referring to when I said they preferred the full gearbox version. Should have made that clearer. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The Marklin looks like a thin card packet that would contain something like a point motor and is hung up on a hook, whereas (I presume) the KR Models is a strong cardboard box for a loco.

There are similarities in the design but I suppose there are only so many ways one can do a cardboard box. 

PS just noticed that the Marklin contains a piece of track.

Edited by Colin_McLeod
Just noticed
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, KR Models said:

Not copied this design I hasten to add.  

I must add, I don't really care about the packaging. Whether it's a copy of a well know red and yellow box or a blue and silver one, doesn't bother me. Send it over in a plain brown box also...as long as the contents inside are kept safe and it's a model I want. I'll accept it.

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Clean and stylish - very nice.

I know it’s the model that really counts, but I do think good packaging is an important part of the whole, err, package.  For as any half decent chef will tell you, the first bite is taken with the eye...

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

14 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Send it over in a plain brown box

As its our first model and one close to our hearts, we definitely did not want to just send it in a brown box haha

I would also like the point out that the box is also padded inside, making 100% sure the model is safe inside.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Is it? Whatever images I saw of any DJM models, it was in a maroon box. I also recall reading somewhere that he was inspired by BR maroon or something like that.

Yes, the boxes are maroon and very nice and quite different from any other box colour scheme on the market*. The models were also nicely decorated, even if one or two external features were less than ideal. However …

*The blue box people: Dapol? Heljan? Bachmann?