KRModels announce a GT3 Model

micklner

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

To meet the date given of mid October the container should already be on the ship and on its way here. KR should be easily able to answer that question. 

They might be coming by train.

The journey time is 18 days, plus a bit for clearance, I've had some stuff from China that came that route.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

To meet the date given of mid October the container should already be on the ship and on its way here. KR should be easily able to answer that question. 

Easy to trace  - if they know the name of the ship the container is on in order to meet the stated 'mid-October' date the ship would by now be in the vicinity of the Suez Canal.  (e.g MV Cosco Galaxy currently in the Suez Canal is due Felixstowe on 07 Octr.)   There are various blind spots for tracking ships using a free website but Suez isn't one of them so is simple to watch and get a fairly reliable ETA at UK port, then just add some days for Customs Clearance and groupage breakdown plus delivery to teh distribution point.  Of course the models might be coming by airfreight but again very easy to track flights once you've got the departure date.

But no doubt, as ever with models coming from China, the GT3s will be here once they have arrived and no earlier or no later- whatever route they are taking.

• Like 3

I wonder if any of the knowledgeable people on here can explain something which has puzzled me since seeing the EP of the model with sound. Western Region’s gas turbines were gas turbine electrics. Consequently, the turbines would rev up before the locomotives generate enough power to move. However, GT3 was geared, so that once the gears are engaged, the turbine howl would match the speed. If the train simulation people are to be believed, the turbine was started before the gears were engaged. How was that done, bearing in mind the considerable forces involved?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

I wonder if any of the knowledgeable people on here can explain something which has puzzled me since seeing the EP of the model with sound. Western Region’s gas turbines were gas turbine electrics. Consequently, the turbines would rev up before the locomotives generate enough power to move. However, GT3 was geared, so that once the gears are engaged, the turbine howl would match the speed. If the train simulation people are to be believed, the turbine was started before the gears were engaged. How was that done, bearing in mind the considerable forces involved?

Don't forget there were two turbines and the low pressure ine ran continuously driving various auxiliaries while the high pressure turbine provided the traction power.  It is not entirely clear from various information on the net' but from one sourv ce it looks as if the 'gearbox' might only have had a single gear ratio thus the turbine was varied in speed to vary road speed (although that sounds a strange, and inefficient, way of designing a gas turbine power unit).

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Don't forget there were two turbines and the low pressure ine ran continuously driving various auxiliaries while the high pressure turbine provided the traction power.  It is not entirely clear from various information on the net' but from one sourv ce it looks as if the 'gearbox' might only have had a single gear ratio thus the turbine was varied in speed to vary road speed (although that sounds a strange, and inefficient, way of designing a gas turbine power unit).

The Lotus 56 racing car used a turbine and had no clutch or gearbox. Work that out.:scratchhead:

I assume that on both that and the GT3 there must be a fluid connection between the output shaft and the driving wheels with a very high ratio final drive to the driving wheels.

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, melmerby said:

The Lotus 56 racing car used a turbine and had no clutch or gearbox. Work that out.:scratchhead:

I assume that on both that and the GT3 there must be a fluid connection between the output shaft and the driving wheels with a very high ratio final drive to the driving wheels.

The ratio on GT3 was 20:1 according to one internet source.

On 30/09/2020 at 09:04, No Decorum said:

The latest news we have is that it is not much more than a couple of weeks away. It would be nice to know if it is still on target or if we must expect another delay. I would much rather have GT3 in my hands before starting to order the other goodies announced by KR.

Latest from the newsletter:

The estimated delivery date is now end of November, but this is subject to change given the evolving situation.

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

3 hours ago, truffy said:

The estimated delivery date is now end of November, but this is subject to change given the evolving situation.

August 10th they were in the paintshop, August 27th they gave a Mid October delivery date,  now they're still approx 2 -3 weeks away from leaving the factory and being shipped.  

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

August 10th they were in the paintshop, August 27th they gave a Mid October delivery date,  now they're still approx 2 -3 weeks away from leaving the factory and being shipped.  

That would indeed appear to be the case because in order to achieve an end November delivery they will need to leave the factory by around 19 October if coming by sea.   Rather odd that it has taken the best part of six weeks for such a delay to become apparent and be made known.

• Agree 1

On 04/10/2020 at 00:41, chris p bacon said:

The delivery date was never set in stone. Only when the models are on the way into the country do we know when people will receive them. Right now, we are at the mercy of fate and provided nothing else goes wrong, people should have them soon.

• Like 9

30 minutes ago, jessy1692 said:

Looking forward to seeing these hitting peoples layouts soon, wish id put my name down for the first run.

Is there any update on EoR for a second run? Im hoping to jump on that if it could happen.

Cheers

James

We want to deliver the first run before we think about opening up the payments on the second run. Hopefully, that's sooner rather than later.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, KR Models said:

The delivery date was never set in stone.

Maybe not, but you'll be 12 months adrift from your first projected delivery date and a considerable amount of time after customers fulfilled their payment obligation, which fully funded the model.

50 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

Maybe not, but you'll be 12 months adrift from your first projected delivery date and a considerable amount of time after customers fulfilled their payment obligation, which fully funded the model.

Correct, and in that time a global pandemic hit us, so forgive us for a couple of delays.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, KR Models said:

The delivery date was never set in stone. Only when the models are on the way into the country do we know when people will receive them. Right now, we are at the mercy of fate and provided nothing else goes wrong, people should have them soon.

Which particular fate are you talking about here? You showed nearly completed body shells in August.. are the chassis delayed? Has the factory closed due to CoVid? Are all the containers full? No space on ships?

Baz

• Funny 1

7 hours ago, KR Models said:

We want to deliver the first run before we think about opening up the payments on the second run. Hopefully, that's sooner rather than later.

Oh completely agree, was just thinking that once the first batch is imminent to land i hope it spurs more people on to sign up to make a second run viable and i havnt missed the boat, pardon the pun!

Thanks for the reply, keep up the great work.

James

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Which particular fate are you talking about here? You showed nearly completed body shells in August.. are the chassis delayed? Has the factory closed due to CoVid? Are all the containers full? No space on ships?

Baz

I was going to say "There's always one." but it appears that there are two! :(

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

I was going to say "There's always one." but it appears that there are two! :(

Well Colin..there may be more.. but..

Vague answers to simple questions is a recurring theme from KR....

Baz

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Ouroborus said:

"vague answers" is not particularly unique to KR Models at the moment is it?

but all along it has been a very well used method by KR... 

Baz

• Agree 1

Initially, I was very cautious but I’ve paid for one now. I’ll go so far as to say that it would have been nice to be told about the delay a little sooner than about two weeks before the latest delivery date but I don’t want to be unduly critical about that. KR is new and we’ve been kept reasonably well informed. Contrast it with Heljan’s O2s, where there is very little news, and Bachmann, where there is no information at all about what’s cooking until three months before a new model’s appearance.

• Agree 1