KRModels announce a GT3 Model

micklner

On 13/08/2020 at 04:07, adb968008 said:

I notice on the EP on page 33 theres no windows in the cab back head either,

https://twsmedia.co.uk/traction-technology/motive-power/jet-propelled-locos/#jp-carousel-147

Going off the video of the finished product, it does look like the windows in the rear of the cab have been missed, at about the 1:28 mark is where the gap opens up enough to see they are missing.

An unfortunate little error, but hopefully something that can be sorted for the second production run.

• RMweb Premium

Is that the IEP by any chance? It still has gear wind up from the video and is a bit battered.

If it is production unit then why no photos from KR? Or sailing dates? I would have thought they would have put plenty of photos of the completed units on their website..

baz

• Funny 1

I'll admit I could be mistaken, but I was basing my thoughts on the comment of "...the model is here, on the workbench, and ready for us to test". It is not unknown for a sample or two to be bought ahead for reviews before the rest of the models arrive for the modeller-or at least it's happened a little bit down here.

Either way, I think it is at a stage where it is unlikely to be corrected now, but happy to wait and see. Of course, the arrangement may also have been different when the locomotive was finally finished, so there's also that point.

Edited by 69843

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Georgeconna said:

Good news so,

I hope they manage to post them before Dec 31st as this will enable me to not have to pay VAT Again or have issues with customs here.

Not sure what happens if they post  these Dec-31st. 

I doubt it - unless they come by air.  They said on their Facebook page on 21 November that they were still trying to arrange a shipping slot.  Assuming they struck lucky and got one very soon after that the ship would have sailed during week commencing  23 November at the earliest.  Port-to-port transit time for a full load container is c.30-35 days but for a less than full load (i.e what used to be called groupage) it can be up to 6 days longer than that.  Say the ship left a Chinese port by 27 November  it is likely to arrive at a UK port no earlier than 28 December and possibly not even until the beginning of January.

That's the simple bit and assumes the ship is not delayed for any reason and that the container actually comes off at a British port and is not transhipped at another port and finishes its journey on another ship.  Once it gets to the port it then has to clear Customs but there are currently container handling delays at both Felixstowe and Southampton with ships being diverted from Felixstowe to continental ports  (I don't know about other ports)  partly as a result of Christmas but also companies stocking up before Brexit.  So quite how long it might take door-to-door (you can usually reckon on adding 15 days to the port-to-port transit time) is something of an open question and not in KR's control - their consignment will simply take its turn.

Once the models are delivered to them they then have to do their bit of sorting, packaging and despatch and that too will take time so the estimate upthread of end January with their end customers might not be too far out.  Hornby mag must have gone to print before 27 November so if their statement that the models are 'on the water' is correct you might be able to advance the ship's arrival time by a few days.  But I really doubt the models will be in KR's hands before Christmas and they - very sensibly - aren't making any forecasts about a firm delivery date as there are currently a number of extra delays in the transit system.  Once KR've got a ships' name folk might at least be able to see what the ship is doing for some of its journey although that doesn't guarantee where the container is.

If there is a hard Brexit you can also bet on high value, perishable and medical items getting priority when customs get around to releasing stuff - potentially customs are going to be very busy from January, Kent will be a lorry park.

It got a good review from Hornby Magazine so that would suggest KR Models have met their promise to deliver a GT3, now it is in the lap of the gods how quickly they can be in the hands of those lucky enough to have purchased one.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

If there is a hard Brexit you can also bet on high value, perishable and medical items getting priority when customs get around to releasing stuff - potentially customs are going to be very busy from January, Kent will be a lorry park.

It got a good review from Hornby Magazine so that would suggest KR Models have met their promise to deliver a GT3, now it is in the lap of the gods how quickly they can be in the hands of those lucky enough to have purchased one.

Despite not having been in favour of Brexit, I find this view of the future to be wrong  and unduly pessimistic.

Since we were last in the position of having customs controls (pre-Maasticht), IT has moved forward immensely. So the whole business of tracking imports/exports can be done in a far more streamlined fashion than back in the days (1983) when I would spend several hours at Dover waiting for clearance. I would forecast that HMRC will rely 99% on electronic form-filling and just examine a very small percentage of arriving vehicles.

• Funny 2

3 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

Good news so,

I hope they manage to post them before Dec 31st as this will enable me to not have to pay VAT Again or have issues with customs here.

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

I doubt it - unless they come by air.  They said on their Facebook page on 21 November that they were still trying to arrange a shipping slot.  Assuming they struck lucky and got one very soon after that the ship would have sailed during week commencing  23 November at the earliest.  Port-to-port transit time for a full load container is c.30-35 days but for a less than full load (i.e what used to be called groupage) it can be up to 6 days longer than that.  Say the ship left a Chinese port by 27 November  it is likely to arrive at a UK port no earlier than 28 December and possibly not even until the beginning of January.

The most recent email from KRM, on 15.11 stated:

”The estimated delivery date given what we know is in January 2021, but this is subject to change given the evolving situation.”

So I wouldn’t expect anything before the new year. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Despite not having been in favour of Brexit, I find this view of the future to be wrong  and unduly pessimistic.

Since we were last in the position of having customs controls (pre-Maasticht), IT has moved forward immensely. So the whole business of tracking imports/exports can be done in a far more streamlined fashion than back in the days (1983) when I would spend several hours at Dover waiting for clearance. I would forecast that HMRC will rely 99% on electronic form-filling and just examine a very small percentage of arriving vehicles.

I'm not being overly pessimistic just realistic, that if (and if) the UK and EU fail to sort things in the next couple of weeks then early 2021 will be difficult.  What is my barometer, my employers are involved in assisting with the fallout.  I agree the world won't stop, the sky won't fall in, but I am expecting there to be some issues at the beginning - nothing ever goes completely smoothly when it is something very new and let's face it a hard border with the EU is not something we have faced in recent times.  Keeping the ecomony moving, bringing in food and medicines will be the main priority, everything else will wait in turn.

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Doesn't seem to be working very well at Felixstwe and Southampton although that is probably down to volume more than anything else.  And just how many companies have people who know how to complete a Customs Declaration form - even an electronic one?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Doesn't seem to be working very well at Felixstwe and Southampton although that is probably down to volume more than anything else.  And just how many companies have people who know how to complete a Customs Declaration form - even an electronic one?

Indeed, having to work out the right one amongst thousands of tariff codes for example.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

Indeed, having to work out the right one amongst thousands of tariff codes for example.

Will there not be some sort of confirmation that what is on the declaration is the same as what is in the container? Obviously not in all cases. but I'd guess the random sampling may be up a point or two which will lead to delays of some stuff.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, 96701 said:

Will there not be some sort of confirmation that what is on the declaration is the same as what is in the container? Obviously not in all cases. but I'd guess the random sampling may be up a point or two which will lead to delays of some stuff.

Given that you could put a tracker on all lorries and all containers, checks need not necessarily be carried out at the border.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

That's the simple bit and assumes the ship is not delayed for any reason and that the container actually comes off at a British port and is not transhipped at another port and finishes its journey on another ship.  Once it gets to the port it then has to clear Customs but there are currently container handling delays at both Felixstowe and Southampton with ships being diverted from Felixstowe to continental ports  (I don't know about other ports)  partly as a result of Christmas but also companies stocking up before Brexit.  So quite how long it might take door-to-door (you can usually reckon on adding 15 days to the port-to-port transit time) is something of an open question and not in KR's control - their consignment will simply take its turn.

Once the models are delivered to them they then have to do their bit of sorting, packaging and despatch and that too will take time so the estimate upthread of end January with their end customers might not be too far out.  Hornby mag must have gone to print before 27 November so if their statement that the models are 'on the water' is correct you might be able to advance the ship's arrival time by a few days.  But I really doubt the models will be in KR's hands before Christmas and they - very sensibly - aren't making any forecasts about a firm delivery date as there are currently a number of extra delays in the transit system.  Once KR've got a ships' name folk might at least be able to see what the ship is doing for some of its journey although that doesn't guarantee where the container is.

I work in logistics so familiar with all that thanks, container costs have doubled as well from China so that will be a big impact on the bottom line too. Just might not be a good time to send these out.

https://www.scmp.com/economy/global-economy/article/3105336/global-container-shortage-drives-spike-shipping-rates-brings

Edited by Georgeconna
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Not wanting to turn the thread into a Brexit customs issue but take a look at 'small' amount of red tape now that the EU is not involved.

https://www.scmp.com/economy/global-economy/article/3105336/global-container-shortage-drives-spike-shipping-rates-brings

and then there is this, Nothing to be worried about , last minute.com LOL!

https://theloadstar.com/new-uk-customs-declaration-system-doesnt-work-lets-stick-with-chief/

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Given that you could put a tracker on all lorries and all containers, checks need not necessarily be carried out at the border.

You don't even need a tracker - certainly that wasn't the case in the past with TIR loads.  But even TIR requires Customs involvement somewhere and just how many towns now have Customs/Excise Officers?  There hasn't been one in our small town (population 11,000+)  for years.  A town not too far from here, where a German company has its main UK  distribution base,  would be a logical regular receiver of TIR loads but hasn't had a Customs/Excise Officer in living memory.

I think port delays will be inevitable rom january due to the considerable extra workload if there is No Deal and that will obviously affect the longer distance traffic that Customs already have to deal with.  And it obviously o won't just be KR that could suffer from that.

• Agree 1

On 05/12/2020 at 10:37, Georgeconna said:

Good news so,

16 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

Not wanting to turn the thread into a Brexit customs issue but

Then don't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KR Models said:

As of right now, assembly is nearing completion but has taken longer than we anticipated due to minor staffing issues

As of writing this, no, the models are not on the water due to the difficulty we are experiencing. 

Once they are in the country, we will be sending out a newsletter stating that they are, after which point people will also receive their tracking information for their delivery.

This is a very fluid situation right now, and we are doing the best we can with the tools we have, and I hope you appreciate this.

If any of you have any further questions, feel free to email me or call me. 

-Michael

Thank you for the update.

Just ignore the 2-3 usual trolls who will have something to say about the delay. 

• Agree 10