KRModels announce a GT3 Model

micklner

• RMweb Premium
On 03/12/2020 at 21:06, Pre Grouping fan said:

Ah, I only watched the silent version of that video before it was fixed.  The printed review says on the water.

Just skimming through so apologies if I've missed anything, but it could well be that they expected the models to be 'on the water' by the time the printed version came out, especially if the review was done a few weeks beforehand. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, JDW said:

Just skimming through so apologies if I've missed anything, but it could well be that they expected the models to be 'on the water' by the time the printed version came out, especially if the review was done a few weeks beforehand. 

..but why did HM make a categoric statement about it when they were in no position to do so. All they had to do is add the words "expected to be" or similar.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't know, I was just thinking out loud, I may be way off the mark. They may have had the wrong information. They may have just slipped up. They may have expected that to be the case and gone with it so it would be 'right' when the mag came out. They may have expected that to be the case when they wrote it and forgotten to amend it before going to press. From experience, I do tend to make sure I qualify things like "expected to" or "xyz says that" when I write features [for an entirely unconnected publication] but occasionally miss it or forget to update something. 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, JDW said:

Also (I may be wrong here) I've always heard that magazines have models shipped out to them shortly before they hit the shop shelves. 

If that's the case, then it would be a likely assumption that if a sample was sent to them then the rest was in transit. 

Either way, they delay isn't the end of the world. It's most likely a little mix up or error in communication between KRM and HM. The models looks great and they will be in the UK soon. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

I've always heard that magazines have models shipped out to them shortly before they hit the shop shelves. 

In some cases yes, but far fewer than you would think.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

9 hours ago, AY Mod said:

In some cases yes, but far fewer than you would think.

Thanks for clarifying that. I was always under the impression that manufacturers shipped in samples for review shortly before the main batch. 

Probably read it about it and made that assumption. 

18 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Thanks for clarifying that. I was always under the impression that manufacturers shipped in samples for review shortly before the main batch. 

Probably read it about it and made that assumption. 

In my experience only ONE manufacturer flies in samples for review ahead of the main batch arriving by ship. Different companies handle review samples in different ways and there are no blanket, hard and fast 'rules'. The company which does fly in samples does so because they like the publication of the review to coincide with the bulk delivery arriving in the shops. Years ago they used to supply pre-production samples for review but there were always conspiracy theorists who thought these models had been tweaked to be better than the ones that were sold in shops. In fact, they were usually a bit worn and knocked about having probably been mailed to several other publications first! Equally, we are very aware that it simply isn't economical for some of the newer, smaller companies to do that, or to do any more than loan samples for a short time. I'm sure I speak for all when I say the model press have always been hugely grateful for the generous treatment we receive with the supply of review samples, especially as we don't always heap glowing praise on them! (CJL). 

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 8

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, 69843 said:

If it is of any help, the photo they shared on Facebook was a Maersk Line ship. 

Not really as they have several routes from the Far East and they serve different UK ports with slight variation in journey times.  The best way to track it - where it is possible to track it - is with the name of the ship which KR will no doubt know at some time because it should be shown on the Customs documentation even if they haven't been advised the name of the vessel by the forwarding agent.

The only place it will then be difficult to find it is in the Indian Ocean (unless you've paid for extra facilities on a tracking site) and a couple of spots on the Mediterranean coast.  That apart you can watch it virtually all the way from China to the UK port as some of us have done in the past with consignments for other UK customers and as we've been doing very recently with a consignment for a 'Model Rail' commission.  definitely a rather different form of 'trainspotting' ;)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Not really as they have several routes from the Far East and they serve different UK ports with slight variation in journey times.  The best way to track it - where it is possible to track it - is with the name of the ship which KR will no doubt know at some time because it should be shown on the Customs documentation even if they haven't been advised the name of the vessel by the forwarding agent.

The only place it will then be difficult to find it is in the Indian Ocean (unless you've paid for extra facilities on a tracking site) and a couple of spots on the Mediterranean coast.  That apart you can watch it virtually all the way from China to the UK port as some of us have done in the past with consignments for other UK customers and as we've been doing very recently with a consignment for a 'Model Rail' commission.  definitely a rather different form of 'trainspotting' ;)

I think the key phrase here is "will know at some time"  in other words not necessarily told at the time of shipping.

No doubt when KR know which ship is carrying the goodies they will tell us.  Patience until then is called for.

Having said that it isn't entirely unknown for a consignment to sit for a while on the dockside waiting for the details needed for the customs declaration to actually reach the consignee......

Les

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Les1952 said:

Having said that it isn't entirely unknown for a consignment to sit for a while on the dockside

Unfortunately it can be even worse than that.

This was after a rather 'bumpy' night at sea, some 250 boxes went over the side that night just from this one ship. It's a real reminder to check the insurance!

DSC_0452.JPG.4b0b61591bda565b2172dc1ec519779a.JPG

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

Unfortunately it can be even worse than that.

This was after a rather 'bumpy' night at sea, some 250 boxes went over the side that night just from this one ship. It's a real reminder to check the insurance!

DSC_0452.JPG.4b0b61591bda565b2172dc1ec519779a.JPG

Stacking boxes 8 high and relying on twistlocks & lashings - no further comment required - on this thread anyway...

Mark

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

It is relatively easy to work out even without the ship's name  which only really adds confirmation and firms up planned dates.   The average shipping schedule time from the Chinese ports nearest to where models are made to a destination UK port (which varies from line to line and route to route) is between 30 and 40 days.   So shipped by Saturday 11 January suggests the ship should reach its UK destination by 16 February or possibly as late as 25 February  then allowing a few days either side of those dates because we don't know that actual date and port of departure.   it is of course equally possible that the ship sailed before KR announced that the goods were aboard and enroute to the UK.

Add a couple of weeks (the usual interval) to the date the ship arrives in order to estimate the arrival date at the distribution point and then allow time for distribution etc process.   You can thus roughly calculate when the models might be arriving with end customers if all goes according to the way these things usually happen and provided there are no undue delays for any reason.

4 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

It is relatively easy to work out even without the ship's name  which only really adds confirmation and firms up planned dates.   The average shipping schedule time from the Chinese ports nearest to where models are made to a destination UK port (which varies from line to line and route to route) is between 30 and 40 days.   So shipped by Saturday 11 January suggests the ship should reach its UK destination by 16 February or possibly as late as 25 February  then allowing a few days either side of those dates because we don't know that actual date and port of departure.   it is of course equally possible that the ship sailed before KR announced that the goods were aboard and enroute to the UK.

Add a couple of weeks (the usual interval) to the date the ship arrives in order to estimate the arrival date at the distribution point and then allow time for distribution etc process.   You can thus roughly calculate when the models might be arriving with end customers if all goes according to the way these things usually happen and provided there are no undue delays for any reason.

In other words don't get excited before March.....

Les

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Sod the name of the ship. I want to know the name of the on board cook so that I can confirm that the crew won't starve to death en route, thereby delaying the arrival of my GT3 bought with my hard earned money.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, 96701 said:

Sod the name of the ship. I want to know the name of the on board cook so that I can confirm that the crew won't starve to death en route, thereby delaying the arrival of my GT3 bought with my hard earned money.

This was posted in another thread and I realise it's off topic. But spare a thought for those on the Merchant ships who are struggling with being at sea for in excess of 12 months and with little prospect of seeing home for some time, so we can enjoy our hobby (among other things)

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/gallery/2021/jan/11/all-at-sea-half-a-million-seafarers-stranded-by-the-pandemic-in-pictures

• Like 3
  • Agree 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I have never imagined the mercantile marine as being a soft life, but some of this is pretty tough stuff. And around the affluent world there are cruise ships moored offshore awaiting an uncertain future, with crews on board. Covid has all sorts of victims, and so many ways of making people suffer without actually catching it. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 11