KRModels announce a GT3 Model

micklner

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, malcolmt said:

A very pleasant surprise this afternoon when Canada Post delivered my GT3. The model is magnificent!  Now to set up a test track. 

Thank you very much,

Malcolm

Calgary, Alberta

Hurray! Keep us informed please!

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Philou said:

WUT? That was a bit sudden and unexpected ..................!

I hope that I shan't have to pay additional VAT when it comes from the UK :(

Cheers,

Philip

If you are not in the UK then KR Models should not charge the UK VAT.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

If you are not in the UK then KR Models should not charge the UK VAT.  

Now we are not in the EU not sure how that will work.. you will have to pay duties somewhere down the line.

Baz

46 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Now we are not in the EU not sure how that will work.. you will have to pay duties somewhere down the line.

Baz

As @Colin_McLeod says, it’s at the point of entry into the country of domicile. Everything that I’ve purchased from the UK has incurred Swiss tax and import duties. I expect no different for KRM, and that will apply now to anyone living in the EU. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, truffy said:

As @Colin_McLeod says, it’s at the point of entry into the country of domicile. Everything that I’ve purchased from the UK has incurred Swiss tax and import duties. I expect no different for KRM, and that will apply now to anyone living in the EU. 

Exactly so however what is the situation now regarding UK VAT refunds because that has been a big bone of contention in respect of sales to tourists who in teh past could reclaim the VAT when they left Britain but can no longer do so.  Just checked on the HMRC site - goods sent to overseas customers from the UK are still treated as zero rated in the UK.

Ah ... but ..... but .... AIUI, as the item was ordered AND paid for prior to 11pm 31/12/2020 (UK time), then it should fall under the previous rules and therefore no additional VAT (or duty) on entry, UK - EU and vice-versa. We can always hope. BTW, model railways don't attract duties at the moment - however, Rules of Origin may come into play. I, a small bear of little brain, find it very confusing as there are also values of the item too - whether lesser or greater than £135. A right mess all round.

Cheers,

Philip

PS: There is a thread elsewhere on RMWeb that is helpful - well it is but as I mention above, the values and country of origin play their part in the new world order. Here's the link:

Edited by Philou
Link added
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Philou said:

Ah ... but ..... but .... AIUI, as the item was ordered AND paid for prior to 11pm 31/12/2020 (UK time), then it should fall under the previous rules and therefore no additional VAT (or duty) on entry, UK - EU and vice-versa. We can always hope. BTW, model railways don't attract duties at the moment - however, Rules of Origin may come into play. I, a small bear of little brain, find it very confusing as there are also values of the item too - whether lesser or greater than £135. A right mess all round.

Cheers,

Philip

PS: There is a thread elsewhere on RMWeb that is helpful - well it is but as I mention above, the values and country of origin play their part in the new world order.

First hand experience at work is that the date of payment is not considered, all that seems to matter is the date an item is exported and crosses the border

The third story on this BBC new item today is an example of someone receiving a gift after 1/1/21 because it was delayed and incurring charges

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55752541

• Agree 1

My experience of having stuff posted to me from the USA.

1.Yes you should be able to avoid paying local tax.

2. You don’t actually pay import  duty, just standard rate VAT.

3. You pay VAT on the price of the item

plus the cost of the postage. This always annoyed me because post charges in the UK are zero rated.

4. The who have already been paid a lot to deliver the item charge you for collecting the VAT from you. I’m sure this is only a few seconds work on the PC and we are being ripped off.

5. Items take much longer to get through UK customs than they do to travel all the way from a shop in California to the UK.

For those who may want to have a look at the link that I posted above, zip to page 12 and about halfway down it has been set out with some calculations - though the calculations are UK - EU, it should hold good for EU - UK. Whether in the UK or EU, the rules regarding VAT are changing EU-wide on 01/07/2021, and will be very similar to that under Brexit - I can see a very big train crash looming that will no doubt last a few months until the rules are understood.

Cheers,

Philip

6 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Typical, everyones moaning for a few pence in tax, how abouts getting the model first..it cost pounds.

I've had a delivery  (not railway) - item cost £22, shipping £11, VAT 20% of £33 = £6.60, courier charge for collecting the VAT £25. Total cost £64.60 for a £22 item.  No refund on country of origin tax as it was a seller who is too small to be registered.  

It ain't just  a few pence in tax.

Les

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Les1952 said:

I've had a delivery  (not railway) - item cost £22, shipping £11, VAT 20% of £33 = £6.60, courier charge for collecting the VAT £25. Total cost £64.60 for a £22 item.  No refund on country of origin tax as it was a seller who is too small to be registered.  

Les

send it back then, you get to save £64.60 and buy something British instead.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Les1952 said:

Les

Ouch....

What courier was it?

6 hours ago, adb968008 said:

send it back then, you get to save £64.60 and buy something British instead.

Apologies for being OT - though this could affect GT3 deliveries...

If it's already been accepted and paid for then the £22 is lost, sadly.

There are numerous stories about this on the BBC news website - many are refusing delivery and getting refunds.  I guess it all depends on what the item is, how bad you need it and if it's available in the uk.

edit:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55757931

Edited by polybear
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I dont even understand how anyone is even surprised by this, frankly.

I spent much of last summer squirreling away stuff I wanted from Europe and selling off bits I didnt want as it was coming.

What i’m reading is many EU companies have taken tax off the price, and Brits are mis-reading it as a bargain, then getting surprised when it arrives.

Certainly my usual German model railway shop has taken tax off its prices to the UK, and even with UK tax applied prices remain good, its just the logistics companies share that tips the balance to buying from a UK shop.

Sure for buying from Europe dealing with customs forms is new, but the same process exists outside the EU for a hundred years, indeed its only been around 20 years we didn't need to in the EU.

in our modelling community were well rehearsed in buying from USA, China, Japan and Anzac based on our modelling interests, nothing changed there and this is the same procedures, except for certain (mostly EU owned) logistics companies, spotting revenue opportunities by now adding handling fees to the UK.

so our community should be more prepared than others.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, polybear said:

Ouch....

What courier was it?

Apologies for being OT - though this could affect GT3 deliveries...

If it's already been accepted and paid for then the £22 is lost, sadly.

There are numerous stories about this on the BBC news website - many are refusing delivery and getting refunds.  I guess it all depends on what the item is, how bad you need it and if it's available in the uk.

edit:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55757931

One of the American couriers, I can't remember which one.  Nothing refundable from a private seller in another country ("protected by the constitution" is the usual excuse from the US)

I have also noticed that eBay sales from private sellers outside the UK have started to get a customs charge added AFTER the purchase is made which isn't mentioned in the listing - probably because the seller doesn't know about it.  SOME auction listings now state 20% VAT will be added- not stating that it is also added to the postage.

Les

I'm wondering if this is the reason my eBay sales to the EU have dried up.....

Edited by Les1952
afterthought

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Les1952 said:

One of the American couriers, I can't remember which one.  Nothing refundable from a private seller in another country ("protected by the constitution" is the usual excuse from the US)

I have also noticed that eBay sales from private sellers outside the UK have started to get a customs charge added AFTER the purchase is made which isn't mentioned in the listing - probably because the seller doesn't know about it.  SOME auction listings now state 20% VAT will be added- not stating that it is also added to the postage.

Les

I have stopped selling outside of the UK on ebay in the short-term. Even prior to 1st Jan my last sale to France had me filling in more paperwork which, to be quite honest, I just don't have the time for as I would rather spend that time modelling.

Roy

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Les1952 said:

SOME auction listings now state 20% VAT will be added- not stating that it is also added to the postage.

Les

But that is not an easy one is it? It is quite correct to charge VAT on the postage where Royal Mail are not being used for the delivery. Royal Mail are exempt as a "universal postal service provider in the UK", but even when they are used it is VAT chargeable at standard rate for some services.

Roy

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

certain (mostly EU owned) logistics companies, spotting revenue opportunities by now adding handling fees to the UK.

Umm, no, I don't think so. What they're doing is adding a charge to cover customs clearance.

Whenever I order any goods from outside Switzerland, the charge is made up of two factors: Swiss tax, which is variable depending on the value of the goods; and an import duty, which is fixed (and handling charge, thanks Roy!). That import duty handling fee might be slightly higher for some couriers, but not by much. Even if it's just lousy old Swiss Post it's still a fair chunk of change. And import tax covers the whole cost of receiving the item, including shipping costs.

Edited by truffy
updated with clarification from Roy